Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:59 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,196,901 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting blog. This guy is actually a successful caterer who decided to go "undercover" for 30 days to see what it was like to live like the homeless. He's also been involved in trying to help various homeless people.

http://people.tribe.net/chefkengi

I'm reading in that blog now... There are some stories that illustrate exactly why people are homeless, like this one:

I would like to see these to two make it. They are working at Vons in Santa Monica and they are trying very hard to make ends meet. It’s tough though. They don’t get that many hours at Vons and the little money they make they already have to pay out to pay for a storage unit. Shelters and missions do not allow you to store items in order to look for work or go to work.

Last edited by UB50; 02-25-2007 at 04:30 PM..

Old 02-25-2007, 05:57 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
But how do you feel Clinton played a role?
NAFTA.

Try calling your internet provider's help desk. I'd bet money after a half-hour on hold, once you finally talk to a person, you'll be talking to someone in India.

99% of our computers, electronics, vehicles, appliances, toys, and clothes are manufactured overseas. That's been a building problem for years, but when Clinton pushed and passed NAFTA, it became a catastrophe.

It's why I roll my eyes when wing nuts talk about "liberal" Bill Clinton. In terms of economics, Clinton was a dyed-in-the-wool conservative. He made Richard Nixon look liberal.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:12 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,705,739 times
I wouldn't call Clinton a liberal. He was more of an opportunist. Whatever would score him political points is what most concerned him.
NAFTA was a Republican idea. The only thing wrong with it was that it didn't go far enough to ensure free trade.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
There are some blogs on the internet that have been started by homeless people. It's easier to understand why people are homeless when you read some of their stories.

One guy ended up homeless but has a laptop and a cell phone. He spends most of his time looking for 1) food 2) place to sleep 3) places to clean clothes 4) a job. He's had to go on job interviews carrying everything he owns -- which is a sure sign he's homeless and it's why some employers have refused to give him a job. He won't sell his laptop because it's the only way he has to look for a job.

Another woman was raped and beaten up on the streets in San Francisco. She already had some physical problems before this happened so it's been very hard for her to get her life back together.

Anyway, the stories are a real eye-opener.
Anyone can start a blog, for any number of political agendas.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Anyone can start a blog, for any number of political agendas.
I agree, but if you read that guy's blog -- he's been an activist since he was a kid. I think I remember reading that he was one of George Bush's 1000 Points of Light when he was just a kid. (It's somewhere on his blog.) Back then, I think his project was cleaning up his neighborhood.

Anyway, some of us like to talk about it. Some people actually "walk the walk." I think it's admirable that someone is trying to do something independently about the homeless in one area.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I agree, but if you read that guy's blog -- he's been an activist since he was a kid. I think I remember reading that he was one of George Bush's 1000 Points of Light when he was just a kid. (It's somewhere on his blog.) Back then, I think his project was cleaning up his neighborhood.

Anyway, some of us like to talk about it. Some people actually "walk the walk." I think it's admirable that someone is trying to do something independently about the homeless in one area.
Thank you. My means of "trying to do something" is to remove their excuses, make them responsible for their own welfare, and encourage them to do better for themselves by taking advantage of the opportunities available to them.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Thank you. My means of "trying to do something" is to remove their excuses, make them responsible for their own welfare, and encourage them to do better for themselves by taking advantage of the opportunities available to them.
Wow! This means you are just as ignorant as I was before I started reading those blogs. I thought there really were opportunities for them to take advantage of too!!

You should read about some of those "opportunities" before you say anymore... You might learn something too, if you take the time to look and read.

One of those blogs actually explains the Salvation Army's system for giving out free clothes to the homeless. If you are like me, you might think twice before you donate clothes to them again.

The "system" -- the way it is set up now -- will never help anyone get a job or go back to work. It's set up for people to fail over and over and over again.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Wow! This means you are just as ignorant as I was before I started reading those blogs. I thought there really were opportunities for them to take advantage of too!!

You should read about some of those "opportunities" before you say anymore... You might learn something too, if you take the time to look and read.

One of those blogs actually explains the Salvation Army's system for giving out free clothes to the homeless. If you are like me, you might think twice before you donate clothes to them again.

The "system" -- the way it is set up now -- will never help anyone get a job or go back to work. It's set up for people to fail over and over and over again.
The answer is to get OUT of the system and take responsibility for your own welfare, not depending upon others to do it for you, especially the government. You'll be sorely disappointed.

I know what opportunities are available. If one can do it, which thousands have, others can.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
NAFTA was a Republican idea. The only thing wrong with it was that it didn't go far enough to ensure free trade.
I prefer fair trade over free trade. Free trade -- at least as defined by laissez-faire capitalists -- leads to a few super rich, lots of super poor, and a middle class on the decline.

And yes, it was a Republican idea. Big reason why I won't vote Republican anymore.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
The answer is to get OUT of the system and take responsibility for your own welfare, not depending upon others to do it for you, especially the government.
No man is an island.

But some men are peninsulas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies