Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Who gives a damn if she gets screwed. SHE HAD A SUSPENDED LICENSE, SHE WAS DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE AND SHE GAVE ME FALSE INFORMATION AND SHE INTENDED TO LEAVE THE SCENE BEFORE THE POLICE WAS CALLED. IF I LET IT GO THEY WILL TAKE HER LICENSE AND SLAP HER HAND. AND SHE WILL BE BACK OUT ON THE ROADS AGAIN, NEXT TIME SHE MIGHT KILL SOMEBODY.
Why did you even bother posting here if you don't want opinions?

I had a family member get the no license/no insurance tickets... they are a BIG deal. 1 yr automatic suspension for no insurance and a $2k fine.

If you were already intending on 800-USLAWYER'ing her, then why bother asking for opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 12:47 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Why did you even bother posting here if you don't want opinions?

I had a family member get the no license/no insurance tickets... they are a BIG deal. 1 yr automatic suspension for no insurance and a $2k fine.

If you were already intending on 800-USLAWYER'ing her, then why bother asking for opinions.

PSS I only have a problem when people calling me a liar! And unless she goes to jail, she will be driving again.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:04 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times
If the other driver is "judgment proof" you have no need for a lawyer. I was rear ended twice in three mos. a year ago. Both times the other drivers' insurance companies took care of everything and there was no need for a lawyer. After a few weeks of having my car in the shop, I did finally ask for a rental and got it.

I was recently involved in an accident with a pedestrian, who walked in front of me while I was turning. Cops and EMS came, EMS took her away because she was 20 wks. pregnant (standard policy when pregnant), though completely uninjured and she didn't even fall down. Only her hands hit the hood of my car. Cops said I did nothing wrong and there was no reason to call my insurance. One cop even said "she needs to watch where she's going when she walks out into traffic" (no crosswalk). Two weeks later my insurance company calls and says this lady has a lawyer and wants money. WTF for? She was completely uninjured! If she wants the ambulance ride paid for, that might be reasonable, but certainly does not require a lawyer. This is the kind of BS that makes everyone's insurance go up.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I don't appreciate it when people sue for everything. I've been in accidents that have been my fault & let me tell you, if someone would've sued me I would've been screwed. That's why they're called ACCIDENTS! And I'm doubting that you got hurt in anyway either, it is EXTREMELY rare for someone to have any sort of injury from a rear end job.
It is ihn fact common for peole to get injuries in being rearended. Its too bad they can't retrain the forward movement of the head like the do with headrest because that is why they developed them. If the woman that was driving and she has no insurnace then she needs to be sued. Accidents have causes and fault just like any other injury and striking has criminal consequenece like failing to control speed.Then not carrying insure is a criminal violation as is driving on a suspended license.Having insrance called financial responsiblity is part of teh right to drive toherwsie your in violation of the law.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
If the other driver is "judgment proof" you have no need for a lawyer. I was rear ended twice in three mos. a year ago. Both times the other drivers' insurance companies took care of everything and there was no need for a lawyer. After a few weeks of having my car in the shop, I did finally ask for a rental and got it.

I was recently involved in an accident with a pedestrian, who walked in front of me while I was turning. Cops and EMS came, EMS took her away because she was 20 wks. pregnant (standard policy when pregnant), though completely uninjured and she didn't even fall down. Only her hands hit the hood of my car. Cops said I did nothing wrong and there was no reason to call my insurance. One cop even said "she needs to watch where she's going when she walks out into traffic" (no crosswalk). Two weeks later my insurance company calls and says this lady has a lawyer and wants money. WTF for? She was completely uninjured! If she wants the ambulance ride paid for, that might be reasonable, but certainly does not require a lawyer. This is the kind of BS that makes everyone's insurance go up.

That should teach you one thing. If you are ever involved in accident like hitting a pedestrian, don't just ignore it and think it will go away. It will come back and bite you later. And the reason why the insurance rates goes up is because of uninsured drivers getting into car accidents!
You should get a copy police report and get some legal advice yourself. Once again, in your case, the crook wins!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:16 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
That should teach you one thing. If you are ever involved in accident like hitting a pedestrian, don't just ignore it and think it will go away. It will come back and bite you later. And the reason why the insurance rates goes up is because of uninsured drivers getting into car accidents!
You should get a copy police report and get some legal advice yourself. Once again, in your case, the crook wins!
Actually, no, the insurance companies lawyers will fight it out on his behalf.

You're better off having the insurance company fight it out - they don't want to pay out on a bogus claim.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:18 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
PSS I only have a problem when people calling me a liar! And unless she goes to jail, she will be driving again.
If she doesn't go to jail, suing her won't prevent her from driving either.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Actually, no, the insurance companies lawyers will fight it out on his behalf.

You're better off having the insurance company fight it out - they don't want to pay out on a bogus claim.

So I said, legal advise! No I would n't call an outside lawyer in that case.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
If she doesn't go to jail, suing her won't prevent her from driving either.

No, but I am not going to cut her legs off either.
My father in law was in a very bad accident a couple of years ago and he was out of work for almost a year. He thought too, that his insurance company was going to help him. Well, he was wrong. He didn/t have enough insurance to cover all the medical costs, and that were many thousands of dollars. He was stuck with a HUGE bill. He fianlly called a lawyer and now the insurance company droped it.
And guess what, t other driver was uninsured!So he got a slap on the wrist and a little fine and a suspended licence.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:02 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times
Lawyers should only be used if you're not "made whole" again by the guilty party's insurance. In my two rear end cases, the other folks' insurance took very good care of whatever costs I had. I was uninjured, so there really was no reason to call a lawyer. When I looked into a diminished value claim because of the new Carfax history on my car, a very respected appraiser said I'd be lucky if the other insurance didn't come after me for some appreciation money, since I got a whole new exhaust system on a 60k mile BMW. If the other guy doesn't have enough insurance, that's one thing. But suing some poor deadbeat ain't gonna help anyone.

The second person to rear end me was a German nanny who was four days away from going back to Germany forever. Thank GOD, she was on her host family's insurance. But the cop didn't charge her with anything. He told me he couldn't think of what to charge her with. I said, "How about failure to maintain control of her vehicle?" He said she was already found at fault, wouldn't be here for the court date, wouldn't pay the fine and was well-insured. He was right. State Farm took care of everything too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies