Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I would like to see the removal of religious holidays, or at least see them converted into secular holidays.

I'm sure it'll happen someday.
A lot of cultures have more holidays than we do. Europeans still celebrate a lot of Christian holidays, even though few attend church or consider themselves Christians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Have basically had similar experience with many government employees, just filling an empty chair, putting in their time. Typically meanspirited, lazy, overweight, lower class bunch. A few were truly good people, honest, hardworking, but not the majority, sad to say. That is why "government" doesn't work....a workforce of quality just isn't there. I long ago stopped "complaining" about all the cr*p I saw, as the unstated but well known plan was to "kill the messenger" in these outfits. Rocking the boat not a good thing in these dark and corrupt hallways.
My god, where's the mod cut? Why were you working for the govt. with that attitude? It couldn't have been the bennies, was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I think Holidays are ok. I do not like saying Merry Christmas because not everyone is Christian-including me-but whatever.

Since when do Christians ever listen to anyone else?
Merry Christmas!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:17 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
Merry Christmas to you good sir and god bless!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:25 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
(I will give the conservative response, and save you the trouble or posting it--- )

IT'S THEIR OWN FAULT. It's time they started taking personal responsibility for their lives, and get jobs with paid holidays and higher salaries, so they could enjoy my holidays too.
Sorry, wrong. The conservative response would be do to donate something to charity including time and to say that they hope these people get all the help that they can, possibly through church sponsored organizations. We take the time to celebrate our families and to remember the less fortunate.

(I will give the liberal response and save the time)

The government should abolish these holidays since there are people who cannot celebrate them and they are obviously religious. The government should provide for those people so that they can celebrate their own state sanctioned holiday so that there is separation of church and state.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:47 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Good idea all holidays and other significations should be eliminated. Each month should include a Friday/Sat/Sun/Monday weekend which individuals could designate to their own satisfaction. All religious practices could be adjusted to that FSSM space. NY's eve and day should be additional holidaze.

I'm sure congress would go along with the extra time off.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:50 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
yes yes do it
also smiling faces babies laughing
cats drinking milk
and sunshine and flowers
signed
the grinch

Old 11-26-2008, 10:14 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
Huckleberry i like your status phrase,Ohhhh i beg to differ Suuuuurrr!
Some people still dont realize my post is sarcastic....

Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A lot of cultures have more holidays than we do. Europeans still celebrate a lot of Christian holidays, even though few attend church or consider themselves Christians.

My god, where's the mod cut? Why were you working for the govt. with that attitude? It couldn't have been the bennies, was it?

I am not directly insulting any poster on here, is just the way it is. And no longer work for them, my conscience won out! No bennies, as I was a contract employee. Just thought I was doing some good working with indigent people who needed our help. And of course enjoyed that aspect. But when I could see so many others stuck in their groove and NOT there to help, but to help themselves at the expense of those they were supposed to be working for, just couldn't do it anymore. Especially when I brought their sloth to the attention of the "higher ups" and they, too, just didn't give a d*mn. Gets old fast. These are rusty cogs in a wheel, going nowhere fast. That is why I left. And did not have the energy to carry the load alone, working 12 hr days or longer, fixing others' mistakes. Because to let their mistakes slide meant hurting the people we were there to serve. Get the picture?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:35 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Christmas: why are we forcing a christian holiday in everyones face?
Its offensive to at least 5% of the population.
Easter: See Above
Valentines Day: Why the painful reminder to people who are alone?
Fourth of July:Whats to celebrate?This nations evil racist past?
Thanksgiving:See Above
Halloween (Ok we can keep this one)

(Sarcasm Alert)
xmas: originally it was located on the Winter equinox but calender drift moved it 4-5 days. We should return it back to the equinox and if you want to celebrate some religious aspect, feel free. For me, there's a family tradition but it carries no religious singnificance to me. It is good to have celebrations at the dark of the year. I like the slow down in the work pace it brings.
Easter: not an official holiday
Valentines Day: not an official holiday
Fourth of July: without the precepts of freedom ensconced in our beginnings, the later freeing would not have happened. Once you set down a principle of freedom, eventually, the hippocracy of not applying it to all the citizens grows and eventually the principle gets applied to all. This is a great thing, even if the beginnings were not perfect.
Thanksgiving: There is always something to be thankful for. Easy to apply to what ever is meaningful in your own life. It is just a harvest festival.
Halloween: not an official holiday.

I like holidays. They mark the passing of the year. And a day off is good. Too bad Congress doesn't make the day off mandatory for all. there are only 10: New Years, MLK bday, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterens Day, Thanksgiving, and xmas. Any other holidays are unofficial and nobody gets the day off. Xmas is the only one related to a religion. The rest are celebrations/commemorations of some aspect of our history.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:12 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Christmas: why are we forcing a christian holiday in everyones face?
Its offensive to at least 5% of the population.
Easter: See Above
Valentines Day: Why the painful reminder to people who are alone?
Fourth of July:Whats to celebrate?This nations evil racist past?
Thanksgiving:See Above
Halloween (Ok we can keep this one)

(Sarcasm Alert)

Other than any religious implications it's little more than mass marketing intended to get you to spend money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies