Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Get a civil union and go on with their lives? If the civil union doesn't have the same benefits, seek means to make them so and then live their lives to their choosing?
I do not believe that homosexuals should marry heterosexuals until they have dealt with their same-sex issues. Although it isn't easy but I do firmly believe that homosexual desires can be changed. There are organizations that assist those who TRULLY want to be freed from homosexual desires. Below is a link to one of the organizations which exist to help those who struggle with same-sex attractions.

Exodus International - Home

There was a previous thread that asked about how much money would it take for you to become gay.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/498391-how-much-money-would-take-you.html

At least one gay poster was honest to admit that he would pay to take a pill to become heterosexual if it existed. The reason that people are so militant about their homosexuality is because society has been telling them that sexual orientation is something that cannot be changed which isn't true as there have been documented cases where people have been able to change with God's help. It's not easy but it CAN be done with God's help! The key is how badly do you want out of homosexuality?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I do not believe that homosexuals should marry heterosexuals until they have dealt with their same-sex issues. Although it isn't easy but I do firmly believe that homosexual desires can be changed. There are organizations that assist those who TRULLY want to be freed from homosexual desires. Below is a link to one of the organizations which exist to help those who struggle with same-sex attractions.

There was a previous thread that asked about how much money would it take for you to become gay.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/498391-how-much-money-would-take-you.html

At least one gay poster was honest to admit that he would pay to take a pill to become heterosexual if it existed. The reason that people are so militant about their homosexuality is because society has been telling them that sexual orientation is something that cannot be changed which isn't true as there have been documented cases where people have been able to change with God's help. It's not easy but it CAN be done with God's help! The key is how badly do you want out of homosexuality?

Are these homosexuals really happy afterwards? Do they stay together with these heterosexual lifestyles and marriages. Are they not depress at all? Are they doing this to please the church or others? Are they really that happy? There is got to be a good partisan study about what really happens to these 'change' homosexuals in some years afterwards? I need more information msconnie73 than just a religious website that promotes this radical result. You just have to be more convincing to the non-Christian crowd here. Go get me this information on these findings so we can talk about it.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Are these homosexuals really happy afterwards? Do they stay together with these heterosexual lifestyles and marriages. Are they not depress at all? Are they doing this to please the church or others? Are they really that happy? There is got to be a good partisan study about what really happens to these 'change' homosexuals in some years afterwards? I need more information msconnie73 than just a religious website that promotes this radical result. You just have to be more convincing to the non-Christian crowd here. Go get me this information on these findings so we can talk about it.
There is a book that discussed the findings of a longitudinal study that shows that gays can change.

Ex-gays?: A Longitudinal Study of Religiously Mediated Change in Sexual Orientation (Paperback)
Stanton L. Jones (Author), Mark A. Yarhouse (Author)
ISBN-10: 083082846X
ISBN-13: 978-0830828463

Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,921,371 times
Everything that converts gays is rooted in religion. I've played the religion game..
Gays aren't willing to take a pill to become straight because they're told that it's unchangeble, they're willing to take a pill because their families and friends associates, and society treats them as disgusting vile, diseases. Don't come in here with your jesus bull-sheet and tell us all about gays and homosexuality, when you don't know anything about it, other than that your god doesn't approve of it.

When I was young and dealing with my sexuality while going through puberty, there was a time I would have taken a pill to be straight. Now I have a partner of 4 years, we have a house and a life together, we love each other, and taking a straight pill would take that all away. I would be against taking something like that if it existed now, because it would make me lose everything in my life that I value, just so that a few religious people feel good about my conformity to their ideals

God isn't a pill... god is an emotion... Emotions rule our lives... that is what it means to be human..
If you can find people who will subscribe to your emotional direction and they claim it's changed them and it's a miracle and the whole nine yards... good on ya and good on them...
but that is not reality, nor is it truth.. it is emotion... and that person will be attracted to the same sex their whole life, How much they wish to brush it under a rug or cover it up with their new emotion for god and jesus or whatever.. will determine how strong their attraction will go.
People can do things they don't want or feel.. and get through life.
I can assure you, that if societal and religious conditions were flipped and homosexuality were the norm, and being straight was seen as how gays are now. We could certainly convince some of those straight men to do the same thing.
There's plenty of men that get married to women and start families on the same premis. They don't really want it.. they never wanted it, but they do it because it pleases god, their families, and what not... And they're miserable.. and end up cheating on their wives.
Lets not forget that plenty of gay men do already claim they're straight and lead very straight appearing lives, except when they're out of town on a business trip cruising for a piece of man to join them in their empty hotel room.
the religious point of view is just too naive and unaware and unable to properly grasp the issue and the reality. They're soo far off in their la la land of emotion and blind faith, that they see the world through this narrow point of view. Not that there's anything wrong with it, Just don't sit here and tell the world you've cured gayness. That is insulting.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:36 PM

Ok I see msconnie73 since you have given me only this religious information, will you read what some opposite minds have to say about it now? Go ahead, lots of nice information about Exodus International.

Truth Wins Out - Exodus International

After reading that do you now believe that Exodus still doing a good job? Seems like is not so easy for them to keep some of their important figures as straight as they want. Maybe they were not too happy pretending to be hetero for so long? It just seem not so effective.

Look at what one of its founders have to say?

Michael Bussee Ex-Gay Leader Apology - Beyond Ex-Gay

Old 11-27-2008, 12:00 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,972 times
Quote:
There is a book that discussed the findings of a longitudinal study that shows that gays can change.

Ex-gays?: A Longitudinal Study of Religiously Mediated Change in Sexual Orientation (Paperback)
Stanton L. Jones (Author), Mark A. Yarhouse (Author)
ISBN-10: 083082846X
ISBN-13: 978-0830828463
Is that like how alcoholics become sober? Because the theory is, you're an alcoholic forever.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Is that like how alcoholics become sober? Because the theory is, you're an alcoholic forever.
My mother was an alcoholic at one time but after she became a Christian, God delivered her from alcohol. For the next ten years until she passed away, my mother had not touched another drink. With God, deliverance is possible.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
My mother was an alcoholic at one time but after she became a Christian, God delivered her from alcohol. For the next ten years until she passed away, my mother had not touched another drink. With God, deliverance is possible.
So did you read the links that I posted? What do you think? Will you (or one of your daughters or a son) be allowed to marry one of these 'cured' homosexuals? What if they turn out like the Beyond Ex-Gay founder and some of the other members there? What then? An unhappy marriage? A divorce? the 'cured' homosexual cheating with other homosexuals? Broken up families with children? What do you have to say then?

Old 11-27-2008, 12:26 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
"The most important fact about 'reparative therapy,' also sometimes known as 'conversion' therapy, is that it is based on an understanding of homosexuality that has been rejected by all the major health and mental health professions. The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Counseling Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the National Association of School Psychologists, and the National Association of Social Workers, together representing more than 477,000 health and mental health professionals, have all taken the position that homosexuality is not a mental disorder and thus there is no need for a 'cure.'
Statements by professional organizations on Reparative Therapy

PLUS: Conversion therapy doesn't work, even according to the founder of NARTH.

Quote:
Dr. Nicolosi, a conservative Roman Catholic, is a founder of NARTH. He coined the term "reparative therapy." He said that this form of therapy: "...can only be damaging if the agenda of the therapist supersedes that of the patient." He claims that:

One third of the patients at the Thomas Aquinas Psychological Clinic, of which he is founding director, experience "significant improvement -- they understand their homosexuality and have some sense of control." However, they may engage in same-sex sexual behavior. He seems to be saying that this group of clients remain with a homosexual orientation.

Another third are "cured;" they refrain from same-sex behavior and the strength and frequency of their same-sex desires is diminished, although not necessarily gone. This appears to refer to their homosexual patients who either become asexual or decide to remain celibate.

The other third fail to change. They remain with a homosexual or bisexual orientation.

It would seem that he is admitting that reparative therapy has an almost 100% failure rate in terms of converting persons with a homosexual or bisexual orientation to heterosexual. He commented: "We say to patients, 'Your true self is heterosexual'." He tells male patients: "Look at your body: It was designed to fit a woman, not a man."

Old 11-27-2008, 12:26 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
Quote:
I haven't had a lick of alcohol for over 11 years. I did that without becoming a Christian.

Although I applaud anybodies sobriety, so please don't think I'm attacking her method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies