Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:53 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,462,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Its funny how no one wants to mention that blacks supported prop 8 by a 70% margin.
Blacks are largely baptist and baptists are a very conservative congregation of protestants.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:57 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,205,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Blacks are largely baptist and baptists are a very conservative congregation of protestants.
That's why you have quite a few dry counties in numerous states where baptists are a majority

Old 11-29-2008, 09:58 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,996,897 times
Quote:
Catholics, and most Christian denominations, are against gay marriage.
Sanctity of marriage and all.
Aren't they against divorce too? Last time I checked, the divorce rate was around 60%...

Quote:
I suggest you get used to it, this has been the way for two millenniums.
Will not change, ever.
Yes it will - already changed in Massachusetts, and CA will be following suit in a few months (most likely). And actually, marriage has changed a LOT over the last 2 millenniums, or my sister would be the property of my brother-in-law... and I don't think she'd be too pleased about that, especially since she is the main bread-winner. Marriage was once a business arrangement, then interracial marriage was illegal, so how can you say it hasn't changed in 2 millenniums? LOL!

Old 11-29-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Its funny how no one wants to mention that blacks supported prop 8 by a 70% margin.
Who didn't want to mention that? In fact, it's already been discussed ad-nauseum on a few other threads. Sorry, I forgot that was another major factor in the proposition failing (since Blacks & Latinos came out in higher numbers to vote for Obama). But that doesn't explain the discrepancy between the Prop 8 and Prop 4 results, which I mostly blame on advertising.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,462,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Aren't they against divorce too? Last time I checked, the divorce rate was around 60%...

Yes it will - already changed in Massachusetts, and CA will be following suit in a few months (most likely). And actually, marriage has changed a LOT over the last 2 millenniums, or my sister would be the property of my brother-in-law... and I don't think she'd be too pleased about that, especially since she is the main bread-winner. Marriage was once a business arrangement, then interracial marriage was illegal, so how can you say it hasn't changed in 2 millenniums? LOL!
I didn't mean marriage itself changing. I realize marriage will change. What I meant was that Catholics, baptists, and many other Christian denominations do not support gay marriage and never will. But as more people become secular, gay marriage becomes more accepted. While many people 'claim' to be Catholic, they really are just cafeteria catholics.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Who didn't want to mention that? In fact, it's already been discussed ad-nauseum on a few other threads. Sorry, I forgot that was another major factor in the proposition failing (since Blacks & Latinos came out in higher numbers to vote for Obama). But that doesn't explain the discrepancy between the Prop 8 and Prop 4 results, which I mostly blame on advertising.
Much of it was also a protest vote to the state supreme court. There are some people who don't like it when the court over reaches on some things.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean marriage itself changing. I realize marriage will change. What I meant was that Catholics, baptists, and many other Christian denominations do not support gay marriage and never will. But as more people become secular, gay marriage becomes more accepted. While many people 'claim' to be Catholic, they really are just cafeteria catholics.
I can only say of Catholicism what Meir Kahane said of Judaism. Its not Thomas Jefferson.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Ah, gotcha... then I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies