Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 07:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times

Advertisements

I agree, but the money has already been spent on Scud and Patriot missiles and shoddy bio-hazard suits and under armored humvee's etc. The financial sector has already been given billions (trillions) to supposedly enable them to re-start the economic engine. So, now what?

H

Old 12-06-2008, 08:04 PM

387 posts, read 677,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
A-ha! You bring up some interesting questions...

Who would these Projects be build for?

Why expand out in land that is shrinking in size when cities like, oh, Detroit, are vastly abandoned? How to expand when the surrounding Metro area is crowded and filled? Where would the 'new' Detroit be built-somewhere in mid-Michigan? Why tear down what little of our natural resources and land we have? Why not rebuild the city itself instead (TRUST ME-Detroit could really use some elbow grease)? Besides-in the case of Detroit, you would have the residents rebuilding their city and their homes, so to say. Maybe, just maybe (wishful thinking), they would take some pride in that?

Go ahead, shoot away-I really don't know what I'm talking about
I think part of it is that to take pride in a place, people need a steak in it -- they don't need to own the property, but they need to feel embedded in the community.

I think it's also a cultural thing. But I'm not sure how the government is going to educate everyone on a culture of improvement and pride. I kind of grit my teeth just thinking of the idea.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Question - just how do you think Obama is going to create jobs, short of hiring them?

Unemployment is caused by either an excess of workers, or insufficient demand for goods and services. Today, in certain sectors, we have an excess of workers. There is evidence that illegals have contributed to the excess labor supply in the construction and service sectors. Secondly, we have a marked decrease in the demand for goods and services. This is a function of the liquidity crisis that you read about. Many people simply do not have any room left to purchase anything - they are maxed out. Families that are paying 50% of their income on housing have little room to purchase TV's, go to the movies, or get that new iPod. Families that have spent the last ten years accumulating stuff on credit now have to pay it back. Nobody was complaining when the market was at $15K. It was a bubble caused by cheap credit and artificially low interest rates. In a few years, when people have paid down their VISA, sold their house at a loss and moved on, the cycle will repeat.

Given these constraints, Obama cannot just create 2.5 million jobs out of thin air.

He's going to create 2.5 million jobs out of thin air using billions of dollars he creates out of thin air.

People completely forget our government is running on huge massive debt. Spending money that doesn't exist is what is leading to big problems. Obama only plans to continue doing just that.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:58 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why force them to pay for child care and commute to a place where there is no work to be done. Just pay them.
This country doesn't think in that paradigm....

Old 12-08-2008, 11:30 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The ONLY people that might need welfare are those who are completely physically incapacitated such as quadraplegics or some terminally ill -- end stage cancer or those with IQ's below 60.

There should be no food stamps, no WIC, no free housing, no SSI, no Medicaid for those who have use of their limbs, aren't in hospice or have a brain that works.
Actually, I agree, except that I think that those who have early stage cancer can still work, as well as low-iq adults. I worked a summer with some retarded adults and they have a better work ethic than some 'normal' deadbeats I see.

Wages always go by the value of the work, so someone paid by the gov to pick up the trash should not expect $30/hr to do that. On the other hand, a rocket scientist might make twice that.

So the gov can keep the private in line, just like Post Office keeps Fedex, UPS and DHL in line.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:46 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He's going to create 2.5 million jobs out of thin air using billions of dollars he creates out of thin air.

People completely forget our government is running on huge massive debt. Spending money that doesn't exist is what is leading to big problems. Obama only plans to continue doing just that.
Why didnt someone tell Bush that?

Old 12-08-2008, 05:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Actually, I agree, except that I think that those who have early stage cancer can still work, as well as low-iq adults. I worked a summer with some retarded adults and they have a better work ethic than some 'normal' deadbeats I see.

Wages always go by the value of the work, so someone paid by the gov to pick up the trash should not expect $30/hr to do that. On the other hand, a rocket scientist might make twice that.

So the gov can keep the private in line, just like Post Office keeps Fedex, UPS and DHL in line.

You're right. I know people who worked all the way through their cancer, all the way up to the end although I'm not sure everyone is capable of doing that.

You're right about the "low-IQ" adults and a better work ethic than some who are almost in the normal range or even in the normal range. They enjoy working, they want to feel productive and useful. It's a shame that others are so slothful that they would shirk work as much as they can.

Welfare is very big where I live and what's pathetic is that most of them seem to be so able-bodied and at least an IQ in the range of 60-90.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
There already is work for anyone that is willing to work. Most folks aren't willing to stoop to the level they would have to, though.

When I was laid off from my job as a computer programmer in 2001, my unemployment paid me something like $30 less per week than doing an overnight shift stocking shelves in the freezer section of Sam's Club. I ended up doing it until I found a new job because I knew that I'd have insurance when I became eligible. I ended up find a new job before I got to that point, but if insurance wasn't an issue...how many people would work 40 hours a week for $30?

Many on here have a really screwed up view of welfare or government help programs. For one Welfare takes up only 1% of our national budget. I hardly see that is killing us. Second there is a real disparity between wages in our society. Not everyone makes 30 dollars an hour.
Many who do work, have to work two full time jobs and still need some kind of government assistance. Are they lazy?, unworthy? I would say they are unfortunate at best, certainly not lazy. Secondly, we live in a society were there aren't enough jobs to go around. It is impossible to have full employment. No society does. Trust me there are many who want to work but who cant for many reasons, the obvious being that they just can't find one, as well as some of the other already mentioned reasons. What do you suppose, starve them?
Do you understand the disparity gap between incomes? Do you know that the average CEO makes apporoximately 250 times their average worker. Are these individuals really working 250 times harder? The disparity between the haves and have nots is higher than at any time in our lifetime, and has only increased dramatically through the last twenty to thirty years.
You do know that the middle class is almost extinct. There is rich and there are poor. Not much inbetween. Do you understand that 1% of the rich own 80% of everything. The remaining twenty percent is shifted between the rest of the 99% of the population. The poor getting the very lowest. The middle class has dwindled to a very small number.
We still have so many with this "Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps mentality". We have learned this is simply false republican profecy. The reality is that many are not given the same advantages as others. Many are intillectually inferior, economically challenged, etc. Many people have mental conditions, addictions, physical ailments, physical conditions which it seems so many have all so easily dismissed on here. Many on here think if you have two arms and two legs, that the world is your oyster and everything is therefore attainable. This is proven to simply be false. That is why the government helps those in need. Some struggle a lifetime taking any job that they can get and still stay poor. Not everyone has the resources to further their education, or even move out of the neigborhood in which they may be in which there is no work.
I have to say I am glad many who have posted on this board are not running this country.
Some should really take a lesson in humanity. And for those who have a job and scoff at those who dont, be grateful you do, and ask yourself where would you be, god forbid you lost it?
When I see someone down and out like a bum or drug addict, I think to myself "by the grace of god, there go I". The truly decent would rather help the suffering than cast judgement upon them.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:24 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Let the lazy starve to death. Most of those on welfare simply have no backbone, no work ethic and really just take up space and air. Let em starve and quit breeding.

Sounds cruel doesn't it? Well guess what? No one would starve if we cut off welfare to the able bodied. The scammers would just finally realize the gravy train left town and that they needed to actually work.
But give the jobs to American Citizens, not illegals. Send the illegals home; they take up some jobs those on welfare might actuallybe able to live on.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:30 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Although this is phrased in a fairly horrible way, I can't disagree with the sentiment completely, because I also think that if scammers realized they couldn't just get handouts, they'd find work.

No they wouldnt.....they would continue doing what "welfare leeches" do, STEAL IT! I bet you my last dollar that most welfare recipients also have a criminal record for theft, robbery, or some other crime. I bet most of them are probably selling drugs and driving Mercedes, on top of STEALING our taxdollars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies