Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:58 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Same-sex marriage supporters are calling for a "day without a gay" on Wednesday, and encouraging gay Americans to "call in gay" to work... like in that movie A Day without a Mexican, it intends to show how much this country depends on the gay community's contributions. Where I live (San Francisco), this could make for a VERY empty city. I just told my roommate about this, but I'm not sure if he's planning to call in or not... wish I could play lesbian for the day, LOL. Anyway, just thought I'd spread the word!

cbs5.com - 'Day Without A Gay' Work Stoppage Set On Wednesday (http://cbs5.com/politics/day.without.gay.2.882748.html - broken link)

http://www.daywithoutagay.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 09:01 PM

P.S. This thread is not intended to become another same-sex marriage and/or religious debate - we have enough of those already! We can talk about how this might affect the economy, or something related to this topic.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:24 PM

413 posts, read 562,149 times
I wish the Gays would stop crying like babies and throwing temper tantrums. It's really getting old.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
I wish the Gays would stop crying like babies and throwing temper tantrums. It's really getting old.
You'd be doing the same if your rights were stomped on...

Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You'd be doing the same if your rights were stomped on...
If you were allowed to get married, would it stop there? Would you respect that some people have moral/religious opposition to the homosexual lifestyle? It seems like you want far more than equal rights (which you have as is), you want to be thought police enforcing your view of morality on the entire population.

If this wasn't so, you would accept civil unions and be done with it.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If you were allowed to get married, would it stop there? Would you respect that some people have moral/religious opposition to the homosexual lifestyle? It seems like you want far more than equal rights (which you have as is), you want to be thought police enforcing your view of morality on the entire population.

First of all, I am straight... so this is not MY issue, but I am a supporter of gay rights. And there are no limits on equality (or extras for that matter), because then things would no longer be equal. Civil Unions as they stand right now aren't equal to marriage, and therefore not an acceptable compromise.

Oops, I forgot to follow my own rule on this thread... I knew it would be impossible to keep things specific, LOL. So back to the topic, do you think this protest is a productive idea?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
A Day Without Gay is a great idea, but they're thinking too small.

How about 30,000 days?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
A Day Without Gay is a great idea, but they're thinking too small.

How about 30,000 days?
I hope at least some employers fire any employee who attempts this.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I hope at least some employers fire any employee who attempts this.
If they are fired, the employee can sue... supposedly... for discrimination based on sexual orientation. I'm no lawyer, but the articles I read implied this. Oh, but that's only if you live in the 20 states who recognize GLBTs as a protected class.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 PM

500 posts, read 910,306 times
Quote:

I would let them know that religion doesn't dictate the law of the land, like it does in say, Iran. I would also ask them if they were for banning pre-marital sex, divorce and working on sundays, after all Baby Jesus is against those as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies