Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:42 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
The UAW is blamed beacuse they are the only part of the auto industry that is way out of touch with the rest.
It takes two parties to endorse a contract. Management makes the big $$$ because they allegedly have the knowledge and foresight to plot a profitable long term course for the company. They bear every bit as much blame for labor costas as the UAW.

Quote:
Sure the CEO's and excutives make a lot, but their salaries are similar to other executives in other companies.
And this somehow makes it right because ?

Management of the '90s and '00s has attained levels of arrogance and greed unimagined by the unions of the '50s and '60s.

Quote:
UAW workers salaries are WAY higher than comparable workers in other fields.

The UAW refusing to take a wage cut is the reason why enough GOP senators voted this bill down.
Enough GOP senators voted the bill down because they're desperate to give the appearance they actually do something in their cushy little jobs.

Last edited by burdell; 12-12-2008 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:00 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,817 times
^^^^^^^

1. Management makes high salaries, yes. But they are not higher than similar salaries for the same posistion at other companies that are doing quite well. CEO's do not make enough money to bankrupt a company.

2. It costs far more to pay hundreds of thousands of UAW workers $40 an hour more than their counterparts make than it does to pay a few executives a high salary.

3. Go ahead, blame the GOP. When y'all come back for another bailout because nothing was done to fix the labor costs, what'll you do.....blame the GOP again?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:12 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Same here....My wife and I took a plunge and finally bought a biz....I was/am scared to death about it because of my dad always telling me to SAVE every penny and don't trust banks.
Both my east Texas parents lacked the benefit of an education but they must have instilled in me some need for learning and, more years ago than I like to recall, I drove a semi-truck while attending a small eastern New Mexico college. By the grace of God I was able to complete a career with a small retirement before this all hit.

Being from Texas I certainly know the meaning of "living high on the hog." My wife and I also live very modestly. At the moment we are trying to consolidate our primary home at Albuquerque with a small amount of inherited west Texas residential and commercial properties into a small rural retirement home near Lubbock, Texas. It may not get it done now since the economy in this west Texas county has essentially shut down and nothing is selling here. We keep our rent here extremely low so as to keep our renters but now wonder if we are about to lose one tenant who is a west Texas new home builder. Our rent barely pays the utilities and taxes on the Texas properties but in addition to managing our property, I also restore antique tractors the sale of which many times has gotten me through property tax time.

I hope I am wrong but I too believe we are in for tough times. My 18 year old truck and 19 year old car are in pretty good shape but this morning I'm waiting for it to warm up outside so I can do brake work on the old truck. I do much of my own auto work but I'm not the so called "spring chicken" I once was and I find the ends of my arms do not correspond to my depth of vision.

Your screen name is interesting as the name of this west Texas town is named after "Old Pete" a mule on the now-defunct XIT Ranch.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
^^^^^^^

1. Management makes high salaries, yes. But they are not higher than similar salaries for the same posistion at other companies that are doing quite well. CEO's do not make enough money to bankrupt a company.

2. It costs far more to pay hundreds of thousands of UAW workers $40 an hour more than their counterparts make than it does to pay a few executives a high salary.

3. Go ahead, blame the GOP. When y'all come back for another bailout because nothing was done to fix the labor costs, what'll you do.....blame the GOP again?

1) Compared to their foreign counterparts? The CEOs of Toyata, Honda, etc. that people want to compare labor costs with? Labor doesn't make enough to bankrupt a WELL-MANAGED company so in the end CEOs DO make enough to bankrupt a company as they make million$ for poor performance.

2) DATA please.

3) LOANS are NOT a bailout.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,070 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with what the consumer chooses to buy, that's a separate issue.

The issue here is how much GM makes in profit per vehicle, which is far less than what others do, thanks to these UAW contracts.

BTW.... I don't watch pro sports, only college football

It has everything with what the consumer chooses to buy. I can have labor costs of next to nothing and still bankrupt the company with bad management of the product. American labor is productive labor, so when you start comparing the labor costs, please do so in terms of productivity. CEO salaries of failing companies are a drain on productivity. GM wil make more in profit per vehicle as they sell more vehicles, up to the point of diminishing returns. Labor is a variable cost, but for the most part, production can be increased within that cost before it rises. Basic accounting says that overhead and capital expenditures have to be overcome by increased sales. Sales are not impacted by labor costs if similar vehicles are being sold for similar prices, but your vehicles cannot be sold even at lower prices. Sales are being impacted by external forces and internal management mistakes. The workers do not choose to make gas guzzling inefficient lower quality cars.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
The issue here is how much GM makes in profit per vehicle, which is far less than what others do, thanks to these UAW contracts.
Oh, so that smaller profit has NOTHING to do with inflated salaries for ineffective management? Have anything factual to support your statement?

Quote:
BTW.... I don't watch pro sports, only college football
College football is a pro sport, the money's just well hidden

Old 12-12-2008, 02:54 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Both my east Texas parents lacked the benefit of an education but they must have instilled in me some need for learning and, more years ago than I like to recall, I drove a semi-truck while attending a small eastern New Mexico college. By the grace of God I was able to complete a career with a small retirement before this all hit.

Being from Texas I certainly know the meaning of "living high on the hog." My wife and I also live very modestly. At the moment we are trying to consolidate our primary home at Albuquerque with a small amount of inherited west Texas residential and commercial properties into a small rural retirement home near Lubbock, Texas. It may not get it done now since the economy in this west Texas county has essentially shut down and nothing is selling here. We keep our rent here extremely low so as to keep our renters but now wonder if we are about to lose one tenant who is a west Texas new home builder. Our rent barely pays the utilities and taxes on the Texas properties but in addition to managing our property, I also restore antique tractors the sale of which many times has gotten me through property tax time.

I hope I am wrong but I too believe we are in for tough times. My 18 year old truck and 19 year old car are in pretty good shape but this morning I'm waiting for it to warm up outside so I can do brake work on the old truck. I do much of my own auto work but I'm not the so called "spring chicken" I once was and I find the ends of my arms do not correspond to my depth of vision.

Your screen name is interesting as the name of this west Texas town is named after "Old Pete" a mule on the now-defunct XIT Ranch.
Are you meaning Muleshoe? If so I have been through there a lot hauling cattle "back in the day".Dimmit,Muleshoe,Littlefield and all around that area for about 5 or 6 months.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:59 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,336,198 times
Quote:
^^^^^^^
... 2. It costs far more to pay hundreds of thousands of UAW workers $40 an hour more than their counterparts make than it does to pay a few executives a high salary.
I don't blame the GOP but union pays 28.12... I just think the GOP must get a global view in a hurry or we as a party will be going down the tubes even faster.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:49 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Are you meaning Muleshoe? If so I have been through there a lot hauling cattle "back in the day".Dimmit,Muleshoe,Littlefield and all around that area for about 5 or 6 months.
Yes indeed!

I've only hauled cattle swinging on a meat hook but that was many years ago before the white hair and wrinkled brow. I think some of that is what caused my hair to go white.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It takes two parties to endorse a contract. Management makes the big $$$ because they allegedly have the knowledge and foresight to plot a profitable long term course for the company. They bear every bit as much blame for labor costas as the UAW.

The word STRIKE comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies