Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you least like to have as a next-door neighbor?
a quiet, homosexual male couple 12 8.63%
a big family (Mom, Dad, 5 kids, 2 dogs, and Grandma) 28 20.14%
a very sexually active, single heterosexual male 7 5.04%
an Evangelical Christian 37 26.62%
a female strip club dancer 8 5.76%
an atheist 3 2.16%
other 9 6.47%
I could be happy with any of them as my next-door neighbor 35 25.18%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:01 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Sounds like you do not know many Christians personally as we don't usually go around preaching to non-Christians. I'm a Christian and I don't go around preaching to people and neither do many Christians I know. When I share my faith with non-believers, it's usually after I develop a relationship with them first. Many of my personal friends are non-Christian.
Tons of them going door to door here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 PM

512 posts, read 712,712 times
I voted for the extremely sexually active male. Only because I dont like watching girl after girl do the walk of shame from the neighbor's house.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
I voted for the extremely sexually active male. Only because I dont like watching girl after girl do the walk of shame from the neighbor's house.
lol.. The "walk of shame"? That's funny. I would think that at least some of them walk out with a big smile on their faces. If not, the guy's doing something wrong.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:32 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
i already live around people in those categories. well no gay couples. just random gays. how could you not have one of those around? anyhow we make good neighbors.

because we respect eachother. we dont try to change eachother.
that just happens.

check this out. a family member of mine, who happens to be gay, came over to a BBQ one sunday. she brought her wife and their two kids. i had family and neighbors and collegaues and a whole mix of people. an older mex catholic neighbor couple (whom i love dearly) were also partyn with us.
they asked me about those two "gals"(my cousins) with the kids. they thought they were sisters.
i said no, and proceeded to call my family member over. i introduced them because i want people at my parties to mingle and meet. i noticed that the man became uncomfortable (not the response i hoped for), but his wife wasnt.
after 15 minutes my cousin brought her family over because my older neighbor lady wanted to meet their kids. at that point the man went away to the bathroom or to get a drink or whatever. he never came back.
the ladies stayed around talkin. and that was that.

well fast foward two weeks and i see the older man at the corner mart and i ask him how he is doing. he asks about the kids. we make small talk and then he turns the convo into a discussion about wives and how is it that a woman could introduce another woman as her wife. that only men have the right and privilege to call women their wives. i was suprised and we talked about it a bit. i was more interested in hearing what he thought. he began talkin about the church, we talked so more, and then i asked him what his wife thought.
that really set him off. he said that his wife already invited my cousin over because they both do needle point. he even went as far as saying that maybe my cousin was tryin to convert his wife! i had to laugh. we never talked about that issue again.

well fast forward 3 years. this same old couple now considers and treats my cousins kids like their own grand kids. all it took was a bit of being around someone to notice that they really arent that different or wierd. i never had to talk to my neighbor or convince him what was right or wrong. he was able to see that on his own(with some prodding from his wife im sure). but he got it.

this late 30's liberal lesbian couple actually had a lot in common with a religiously devout septugenarian couple. imagine that.

i think when people come together, with out prejudice, we see that being a "neighbor" is more than just sharing a fence. its about extending a hand across that fence. even when it makes us uncomfortable.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:39 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Tons of them going door to door here.
Those are probably Jehova Witnesses and I do find their methods a bit intrusive.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:42 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Those are probably Jehova Witnesses and I do find their methods a bit intrusive.
No, they're not Jehovah's... they're a local evangelical church.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:49 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Dont know, but on the flip side I would take the female stripper, as long as she was fine and it was apartment not house - dont want my prop values dropping.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:05 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
I voted for the sexually active hetero male, mostly because he's probably going to be partying all the time, loud music, maybe drinking and drugging, maybe rolling beer kegs down the stairs and out onto the lawn, having cookouts, etc.

I couldn't take it. The one thing I can NOT stand is loud music - why do people insist on playing their music for everyone, not just themselves? I don't play my music loud and blast it out the window - wouldn't think of it. I'd certainly never play it outside. But, many people seem to do this, without any consideration for anyone else.

So, anybody without loud music (even a family with kids) is OK, for the most part.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:27 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I voted for the sexually active hetero male, mostly because he's probably going to be partying all the time, loud music, maybe drinking and drugging, maybe rolling beer kegs down the stairs and out onto the lawn, having cookouts, etc.

I couldn't take it. The one thing I can NOT stand is loud music - why do people insist on playing their music for everyone, not just themselves? I don't play my music loud and blast it out the window - wouldn't think of it. I'd certainly never play it outside. But, many people seem to do this, without any consideration for anyone else.

So, anybody without loud music (even a family with kids) is OK, for the most part.
Move out to the country with us Cuz and you have the best of both worlds...You can jam as loud as you want to and nobody can hear you.That way you are not being disrespectful to others (btw..I agree with you 100%,loud music makes me mad too if it's in an inappropriate setting...like 2am and I'm trying to sleep).....The ONLY disadvantage of living in the country is the distance to EVERYTHING.But I'll deal with that over the pain in the butt that community living involves many, many times over.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i already live around people in those categories. well no gay couples. just random gays. how could you not have one of those around? anyhow we make good neighbors.
I'm surprised by the number of votes against the "quiet, male homosexual couple", yet no one has given a reason for voting against them.

Speak up, people. Silence teaches none of us anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies