Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:00 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,629 times

Advertisements

I don't care about homosexuality. As long as gays keep on presenting themselves in pop-culture the way they do. Things will never change. I don't care about gays or lesbians but in reality, they get treated better here than they would in Mexico. Eventhough Mexico signed the agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 08:01 AM

512 posts, read 712,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Ever hear of this one?

Amendment XIV, Article 1.

It's only been around for the last, oh, 140 years or so.
Thank you I was going to respond, but you beat me to it. No state should be able to take any rights away from one group of citizens. I guess we are all created equal until someone "chooses" to be gay.

I can't believe this is still an issue in our society.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:13 AM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
Thank you I was going to respond, but you beat me to it. No state should be able to take any rights away from one group of citizens. I guess we are all created equal until someone "chooses" to be gay.

I can't believe this is still an issue in our society.
Now show me in the constitution where it says that homosexuality is a right. Notice that the other rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights specifically say that congress shall make no law about these things.

Freedom of Speech, yes
Freedom of press, yes
Freedom of Religion, yes
Freedom of assembly, yes
Right to bear arms, yes
Jury trial, yes
Right to stick your private parts in areas that nature did not intend. Nowhere to be found.

Once again, it is a state issue, and the states themselves have every right to regulate such behavior, or not to, depending on the individual state's legislature and people.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Shouldn't something have to be illegal here for us to vote against us declaring it legal? This is just a case of a group wanting to find something to be angry at. This is a non-issue because homosexuality isn't illegal in our country.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:24 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

No gays in Iran, says Ahmadinejad

So now civil unions equates to this sort of stance....

Old 12-19-2008, 08:32 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Your point? Nothing about sex in there either. You seriously think that homosexual sex was what the 14th amendment was talking about? The 14th Amendment was part of the aftermath of the Civil War and was there to preserve the rights of the citizens of the south after they had lost, and to assert that they were still United States Citizens.

Once again, the federal government has no authority to regulate such things on account of the 10th Amendment. That means that the power to regulate, or not to, rests with each individual state legislature. Once again, I see no need for federal involvement. Why do you wish to force your views on states wherein it is possible that the majority of voters in that state disagree. Let the individual states decide for themselves on the issue.
So if a state wanted to make heterosexual sex illegal, that would be okay because the state has the right to make that decision for themselves on the issue?

Old 12-19-2008, 08:37 AM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
So if a state wanted to make heterosexual sex illegal, that would be okay because the state has the right to make that decision for themselves on the issue?
That is the point I'm trying to make. The same thing goes for states that want to make it legal.

Georgia may want it illegal, California may want it legal. But by no means should what is culturally accepted in California be thrust upon the good people of Georgia. Nor should Georgia's traditionalism be forced upon the people of California. Each state should be sovereign over its own borders.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:43 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
I can't think of a single state or federal statute which refers to the illegality of homosexuality.

Once again, people are conflating homosexuality with homosexual "marriage" in order to incite an argument based on the false premise that sexual preference is equivalent to racial identity, which is transparently illogical, owing to the existence of both sexes and all sexual proclivities in all races.

If the UN is interested in doing something useful, it might address the disturbing Canadian policy of restricting free speech in the name of political correctness:

Canadian Human Rights Commission free speech controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if that ever happened??? But yet, it's ok for the homosexuals...sad.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I can't think of a single state or federal statute which refers to the illegality of homosexuality.
There were about 20 or so state statutes making private adult homosexuality a crime until the Supreme Court properly struck them down in 2003. (You should've seen the right wing crowd go into an apoplectic fit.) They did so precisely on the basis I mentioned earlier; a state cannot deprive individuals of rights guaranteed by the United States (14th Amendment)--and simply because it is not enumerated (spelled out) in the text of the Constitution, melinux, doesn't mean it doesn't exist (9th Amendment.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies