Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times

Advertisements

Not to defend O but...an 8 mil house in Hawaii? Pretty nice certainly, but I wouldn't consider it extravagent It does'nt take long to spend 8 mill on a house in Hawaii ,that would not be considered oppulant at all were it sitting in the Hamptons, or Beverly Hills. LMAO all the "reaching across", "cooperation" , and meaningful dialouge between political sides in threads such as this is overwhelming....is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Imagine the uproar if the Palins had done this!
I imagine there already is a completely new way of looking at Palin by many Alaskans, she "sold the jet on eBa' so she and brood could travel first class commercial on the taxpayers dime.

She give back those clothes from Neiman Marcus yet and return to the Goodwill store for Xmas shopping?

Old 12-24-2008, 09:07 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Not to defend O but...an 8 mil house in Hawaii? Pretty nice certainly, but I wouldn't consider it extravagent It does'nt take long to spend 8 mill on a house in Hawaii ,that would not be considered oppulant at all were it sitting in the Hamptons, or Beverly Hills.
No, you are just pointing out the obvious to those who never lived there. When Ilived there in the 80's an eight million beach house was nothing, sounds like our new Prez. is roughing it, good on him.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Not to defend O but...an 8 mil house in Hawaii? Pretty nice certainly, but I wouldn't consider it extravagent It does'nt take long to spend 8 mill on a house in Hawaii ,that would not be considered oppulant at all were it sitting in the Hamptons, or Beverly Hills. LMAO all the "reaching across", "cooperation" , and meaningful dialouge between political sides in threads such as this is overwhelming....is it not?
LMAO at "Not to defend O..." and then " LMAO all the 'reaching across', 'cooperation', and meaningful dialouge between political sides in threads such as this".

You do realize he didnt buy the house, he's just staying in it - right? Cant tell from your post.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Umm, because he has been talking about redistributing the wealth and taking wealth away?
I don't think that has much to do with renting a house for a week.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
LMAO at "Not to defend O..." and then " LMAO all the 'reaching across', 'cooperation', and meaningful dialouge between political sides in threads such as this".

You do realize he didnt buy the house, he's just staying in it - right? Cant tell from your post.
To clarify, I am saying that ,yes, STAYING in an eight mil house on the beach in Hawaii is NOT an over the top extravagance, compared to accomodations that most high ranking politicians STAY at. to "reaching across" and such I am dripping sarcasm. Neither "left" nor "right" is past this election. Despite al the crys for unity. It's frustrating and annoying at times. I didn't vote for O. But I have no choice but to listen to what he's saying now, like it or not. I'm OK with debate and disagreement, but there is a lot of diatribe, coming from both sides, that is just childish foot stompng. It seems that the name of the game is how much dirt can be dug up and slung around. . So the guy sayed at an 8 mil beach house in Hawaii....MY house would be worth 8 mil if it was in the same spot.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
To clarify, I am saying that ,yes, STAYING in an eight mil house on the beach in Hawaii is NOT an over the top extravagance, compared to accomodations that most high ranking politicians STAY at. to "reaching across" and such I am dripping sarcasm. Neither "left" nor "right" is past this election. Despite al the crys for unity. It's frustrating and annoying at times. I didn't vote for O. But I have no choice but to listen to what he's saying now, like it or not. I'm OK with debate and disagreement, but there is a lot of diatribe, coming from both sides, that is just childish foot stompng. It seems that the name of the game is how much dirt can be dug up and slung around. . So the guy sayed at an 8 mil beach house in Hawaii....MY house would be worth 8 mil if it was in the same spot.
I was just coming over here to delete my post or post an apology before you saw my mean remarks - too late! Im sorry, I was rude for no good purpose and your post certainly did not deserve that. Carry on

Old 12-24-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I was just coming over here to delete my post or post an apology before you saw my mean remarks - too late! Im sorry, I was rude for no good purpose and your post certainly did not deserve that. Carry on
I wasn't offended. Misinterprtation of posts happens all the time on here and clarification is often needed, sarcasm and tonal inflection are lost quite often in written communicatons.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:37 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,220,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Indeed he does need it. Have you seen him on TV lately? He looks wan and exhausted, and he hasn't even been inaugurated yet! He's already working too hard, and has a TREMENDOUS burden to take up in January. Hope he and his family enjoy their rest.
He didn't look too wan in that beach shot, he looked WANDERFUL!

I agree with you, even after the longest presidential race in history, he never stopped. I will venture to guess that once in office he will not take nearly as many vacas a W has taken. He and his family need the down time.

As for the home they are staying in- as Saganista posted- security is a top priority. What, they should have booked a timeshare?!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I wasn't offended. Misinterprtation of posts happens all the time on here and clarification is often needed, sarcasm and tonal inflection are lost quite often in written communicatons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies