Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:03 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times

Advertisements

Boise Idaho

the frown face is because the huge influx of white people running away from more diverse places... has made the population boom here to where the standard of living is not as good...and housing prices are absurd. Also, I would want to see more diversity move to boise, rather than white california transplants trying to get away from the "brown" people...
any major shopping center around here seems to be like a sea of bottle blonde heads, and every other license plate is California... Idaho is attracting white conservatives from elsewhere... historically idaho has been very much conservative yes, but more libertarian in nature... this new influx of people certainly is a different culture.. of plastic fantastic... shopping malls, cheesecake factories, and ruth's chris steak houses.. while independent long established merchants fall by the wayside...

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-30-2008 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: Merged your posts and got rid of now-deleted quoted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 AM

diversity in california is different than diversity in new york, or chicago, or houston texas.. while being multicultural and DIVERSE, they indeed do maintain a regional and local culture... Idaho is no different if it were to gain more ethnic diversity...to say I want california to exist in idaho is absurd.. because i would just move to california...
we have to ask ourselves.. why are people fleeing to places like idaho???
what are they really trying to escape??? and what new problems are they causing people here in idaho where they move to???

for the record, I was born in idaho.. but grew up mostly in seattle.. and I have lived in california for a short time... I've seen it on all fronts....
You can only run from problems for so long until they catch up with you in the new place you have run to...
THAT is why people have hard feelings about this fleeing mentality..It's no different than someone running away and moving overseas because they don't like something about america...American spirit is about being part of improving your community.. not running away to become a burden on another community...

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-30-2008 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: Removed quote of troll poster

Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
when they leave they call it white flight.
when they come back they call it gentrification.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:25 AM

378 posts, read 626,207 times
While it's true many big U.S. cities are experiencing diversity, not every city is. I'm from California and I was quite shocked to see that basically everyone I saw in Reno was White, and I spent around two hours there walking around. So, while this country may be increasing in diversity, there's still states and cities that are basically White. Where do they go? Even California still has counties well above 50% White, some even close to 90% White.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 AM

956 posts, read 3,002,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
I read alot about white flight, but my question is, as it seems so many cities are experiencing it, where exactly do they end up? People can't just "dissapear" without appearing somewhere else, right? And how do they influence the places of where they go? Do prices go up? Services improve/expand?
Well, I'd like to tell you, but I really can't comment on an open discussion forum, since certain people might find out where we're going and follow us, and then we'd simply have to move once again.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:29 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Wow, so it's all about racism. Not one chance that what they are fleeing is increased levels of crime and depreciating property values. Those than can afford to move will move away from the crime. Those that can't are stuck. Maybe back in the 50s and 60s it was about racism. What's happening today is all about crime.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:56 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wow, so it's all about racism. Not one chance that what they are fleeing is increased levels of crime and depreciating property values. Those than can afford to move will move away from the crime. Those that can't are stuck. Maybe back in the 50s and 60s it was about racism. What's happening today is all about crime.
I wish. This would not explain what is going on in a lot of the suburbs in CA. Some the state's most affluent suburbs are experiencing white flight as Asians enter into them. The middle class areas are experiencing white flight since more Hispanics are entering them. They claim that it is because the schools have changed so much. The only difference is that these schools are less homogeneous. In Southern California people fled the inner cities to the suburbs. These suburbs became inner suburbs (Compton, South Central). They then fled to further suburbs (Covina, Whittier). Then fled to the OC, then the IE, then to AZ, CO, ID, MO, TX (Austin). In NorCal, same thing, different towns. Now the fastest pace of white flight in CA is happening in the nicest suburbs. Actually, in some of the safest cities in America. Hey, it's their choice to leave. Hell, I knew some personally that left. It doesn't mean they are bad people, but their motives are more out of ignorance and cultural intolerance.

With that said, I feel (I have no evidence), that white flight is slowing. Suburbs and inner city areas are becoming more diverse (IMO). I hope that this trend continues.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I wish. This would not explain what is going on in a lot of the suburbs in CA. Some the state's most affluent suburbs are experiencing white flight as Asians enter into them. The middle class areas are experiencing white flight since more Hispanics are entering them. They claim that it is because the schools have changed so much. The only difference is that these schools are less homogeneous. In Southern California people fled the inner cities to the suburbs. These suburbs became inner suburbs (Compton, South Central). They then fled to further suburbs (Covina, Whittier). Then fled to the OC, then the IE, then to AZ, CO, ID, MO, TX (Austin). In NorCal, same thing, different towns. Now the fastest pace of white flight in CA is happening in the nicest suburbs. Actually, in some of the safest cities in America. Hey, it's their choice to leave. Hell, I knew some personally that left. It doesn't mean they are bad people, but their motives are more out of ignorance and cultural intolerance.

With that said, I feel (I have no evidence), that white flight is slowing. Suburbs and inner city areas are becoming more diverse (IMO). I hope that this trend continues.
agreed

Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I was part of one the first waves GWF from Cali in the early 90's At that time people were selling thier houses and moving up to Washington and Oregon. (upsetting the locals and driving up the cost of housing in that area) I went to Iowa....The latest wave appears to be going to Colorado, Montana, etc. with the same results.... Check out the Montana section for some of the locals feelings on how their state is being altered.....
Actually the first GWF by the Californians was LONG before that...I was living in northern Idaho in the late '70s when the Californians invaded the first time.HORRIBLE...it then caused a lot of us to flee the Californians and we invaded other areas,where the Californians eventually showed up anyway.You are exactly right about what happens during these invasions though and I have watched this area disinigrate from the GWF by the Chicagoans over the last 20 plus yrs.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:12 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Where I am, it is out of the inner-city, and into the suburbs.
Where I live it's from the sterile suburbs to the inner city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies