Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Yeah, sorry I excluded you, you lousy Bohunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Dude! Bohunk is the slur for my people -- the Czechs! If you are going to insult someone, get it right
Half breed Hunky here (other half is Southern Redneck, some of my ancestors fought in the Civil War)---------and, Czech women are hot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It's not that simple. For example, what would you call a white naturalized American from South Africa? African-American?
A person from RSA would be counted as 'South African', irrespective of his actual race/ethnicity. Ditto for a Kenyan, etc.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
Um African Tribes did fight against the Europeans. We all know what happens when the Europeans come to town,; rape, murder, stealing of land and gold. I guess it isn't all bad they could've done to the blacks what they did to the Native Americans and Mayans.
Fast forward to today: the descendants of said indigenous people originally from Mexico and further south living in the USA now self identify as 'Hispanics' following an archaic variety of Spanish culture----------and, many are belligerent about embracing it as well.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Actually, I'm more of a pinkish-peach... LOL.

But since you brought it up, I am confused about my own identity's label... most people would call me white, since I am a redhead with pale skin and blue eyes. However, I am Jewish, so any neo-Nazi/KKK type would NEVER refer to me as white. So I think I'll just call myself pink from now on!
And the screamin' irony is that Israel is having a Neo-Nazi problem---------never mind that said 'Nazis' would have been murdered by the original ones for obvious reasons.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:26 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
You might be missing the bigger picture and point.

In a previous conversations we've had, you've said that being called "black" is not offensive to you - unless, of course, it's in some sort of derogatory manner.

That sounds pretty good to me.

The point is that I'm an American who happens to be white. And unless I'm mistaken, you're an American who happens to be black. Sound to me like what we really are is we're both Americans. And more importantly, we're both people. To me, that's all that's really important.
All of the above it true. When I am out of the country it is sufficient to just say that I am an American. When I introduce myself to folks, I'm just O.V. Catto (well not really but you get the drift). But when I have to enter into a discussion about ethnicity, culture, or politics then my being an American of African descent brings along with it a whole different narrative, and perspective which has been shaped and prodded by American history and culture, for good and for bad.

So, what I am is important, because what I am has been shaped by American history, and the history of descendants of African people in this country. Being African American is my...well as Max Weber would have put it, my weltanschauung.

I may be an American who happens to be black, but being black accounts for a whole lot of what has happened.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,086,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Fast forward to today: the descendants of said indigenous people originally from Mexico and further south living in the USA now self identify as 'Hispanics' following an archaic variety of Spanish culture----------and, many are belligerent about embracing it as well.
AB,that is what gets me about this "fad" of type casting someone by ancestory or ethnicity....the belligerence by some who want to be Americans,but yet want to be identified as something else.I do not understand it in the least and I find it somewhat irritating.IMO either you are an American or you're not,no big deal.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
Um no, what you cited clearly a follow-suit of Hilter, then you went back to mention more arocities. Keep your focus, how does this lessen the evils of Europeans?
What is your point?

Have you forgotten about Genghis Khan, Mohammed, etc? OK: strictly speaking, Arabs are White-----------but, many White supremacists do not accept that.

The cold reality is it was the luck of the draw that the Euros and the Japanese had better weapons coupled with warlike cultures.

Things change: not so many years ago the stereotype of Ireland was the 'Fighting Irish' logo; today..........the logo (and stereotype) of Ireland today is the harp. Same ethnicity but Ireland's culture has changed that much.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I guess, this my previous simplification wasn't simple enough.

If the person can tell you that he/she is from Ethiopia then they are not African Americans, they are Ethiopians, or Ethiopian Americans or even Americans of African descent if they so chose.

African Americans are African Americans because they CAN NOT identify their country of origin, just the continent.

Why is this such a hard concept to understand, surely European Americans are brighter than this!
Not so true anymore: DNA testing can determine with a fair amount of accuracy where an American Black person's ancestors originally hailed from within Africa.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,086,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
What is your point?

Have you forgotten about Genghis Khan, Mohammed, etc? OK: strictly speaking, Arabs are White-----------but, many White supremacists do not accept that.

The cold reality is it was the luck of the draw that the Euros and the Japanese had better weapons coupled with warlike cultures.

Things change: not so many years ago the stereotype of Ireland was the 'Fighting Irish' logo; today..........the logo (and stereotype) of Ireland today is the harp. Same ethnicity but Ireland's culture has changed that much.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:08 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
If a "Black " person in America traveled to Africa and told a "Black " African that he was African American, there are places deep in the bush were they would have no idea what you were talking about, if he told them he was a "Negro" their eyes would lite up because they understand that as a tribal designation for Black people in the the western world. black people in America have very little in commom with black people in Africa compared to what they have in common with white people in America, Native Americans used to call Black people " black white man" tse-mook-tse-mook-too-too-keon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies