Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 AM

186 posts, read 475,252 times

Advertisements

NEW VIDEO SHOWS THE ACTUAL SHOT...NOT SURE IF ITS BEEN SEEN...

cbs5.com - Video Library

Old 01-07-2009, 01:09 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Since I'm a local, I've been hearing this story and seeing the videos since it happened... to clear up a few things (if they haven't been said yet), this happened at the Fruitvale BART station in Oakland, and the victim was shot in the back - not in the head. They are claiming the officer may have meant to grab his taser, which is why he looked surprised after the shot. Not sure I buy that, but it was clearly a chaotic situation. Oh, and Fruitvale is actually a decent neighborhood in Oakland... I used to work literally next-door to that BART station, and always felt very safe there. Regardless, this was a horrible situation, and I will be keeping his family in my thoughts.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
cops shoot "unarmed people" but "unarmed people" shoot cops too.
where are the tears?
Good point. And while I don't really want to defend this officer, you do have to understand the stressful situations they face... and this probably wouldn't qualify as homicide or execution (since it wasn't pre-meditated), although I would possibly call it murder.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:17 AM

214 posts, read 288,060 times
New Orleans La.
Police shot man 14 times New Year's Day.

Ministers call on Warren Riley to release the names of cops in New Year's Day shooting

by Martha Carr, The Times-Picayune Tuesday January 06, 2009, 1:57 PM

Last edited by lobodog; 01-07-2009 at 02:31 AM..

Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,036,650 times
First off, im glad to see people from all over chiming in on this story..and its definitely gaining alot of momentum here locally..

After seeing the video footage which has been released,..its very disturbing that even one of these officers felt the need to reach for even their tazer to subdue the potential suspect...From everything ive seen,and read he'd already been placed on the ground..and possibly already handcuffed..there isn't a logical reason i can think of as to why any one of the responding officers would have to use additional force..

Though there are times when a chaotic situation can possibly distract complete concentration, id believe that police officers are well versed in this area of response..and from the looks of the situation, where is the alleged "chaos"..

Working in night clubs in the past, ive personally witnessed many chaotic situations...and don't recall ever seeing responding officers act in a less than professional manner,even when weapons were involved..and as many who have worked in such a buisness enviorment could tell you,things can get really crazy at times...From the looks of things, i don't realy see anything all that "chaotic" happening when this event occured..

I hope that when all is said and done..those responsible will be held accountable...there is no reason an innocent man who was cooperating should now be memorialized,...even if he was involved in some argument with another passenger..there is absolutely no reason any one should feel that they can abuse their authoritive powers...

Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 AM

469 posts, read 1,870,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
First off, im glad to see people from all over chiming in on this story..and its definitely gaining alot of momentum here locally..

After seeing the video footage which has been released,..its very disturbing that even one of these officers felt the need to reach for even their tazer to subdue the potential suspect...From everything ive seen,and read he'd already been placed on the ground..and possibly already handcuffed..there isn't a logical reason i can think of as to why any one of the responding officers would have to use additional force..

Though there are times when a chaotic situation can possibly distract complete concentration, id believe that police officers are well versed in this area of response..and from the looks of the situation, where is the alleged "chaos"..

Working in night clubs in the past, ive personally witnessed many chaotic situations...and don't recall ever seeing responding officers act in a less than professional manner,even when weapons were involved..and as many who have worked in such a buisness enviorment could tell you,things can get really crazy at times...From the looks of things, i don't realy see anything all that "chaotic" happening when this event occured..

I hope that when all is said and done..those responsible will be held accountable...there is no reason an innocent man who was cooperating should now be memorialized,...even if he was involved in some argument with another passenger..there is absolutely no reason any one should feel that they can abuse their authoritive powers...
I agree! Even if the cop was "allegedly" reaching for his taser, why would he need to do so? The guy was already on the ground, and his partner had a hold on him. Tasers seem to be the ultimate answer for everything. You tell someone to get down, they don't move fast enough, tase them.
Someone is already on the ground, the lift they head up, tase them.
Cough the wrong way, tase them.

I've watched the video from different angles and each time I do not see any chaos. Maybe loud yelling, but in the intermediate area where the cops where, there wasn't much going on. Unless loud noises constitutes as chaos, and those cops, THAT cop, can't function under loud noises. Then he shouldn't have been there that night, let alone be a cop.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:14 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Good point. And while I don't really want to defend this officer, you do have to understand the stressful situations they face... and this probably wouldn't qualify as homicide or execution (since it wasn't pre-meditated), although I would possibly call it murder.
The stress involved is why police should NOT carry guns. They should be available when needed but not on the belt of every idiot that makes it thru the academy. I'd call it an execution. Spontaneous perhaps but an execution.

Had this guy not been a cop he would be in jail & everyone here would be down on him. This is no different, police have no greater liberty to shoot people than anyone else.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. There are some bad people out there, but not all of them are on the "other" side of the law.
In another C-D forum about California, I posted that I needed just as much to feel safe from the cops as from gangsters. People asked me why I would say that. Now they know.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:48 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
If your state was not run by gangs I bet the attitude of cops would change... Soon it will be called "California a division of MS-13". Of course that does not mean they are not in other places either.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 AM

216 posts, read 290,633 times
I didn't comment on this yesterday because I was too upset.

This is sad example of why some parents must raise their sons and daughters with warning. It would be great to tell them to just abide by the law and everything will be okay, but this is not necessarily true. Blacks (and I'm sure others) have complained about the unfair treatment received from police officers and even the legal system, but others would simply say that they are not owning up to their own wrong doing (making up excuses). With current technology, these acts can now be captured and shared, but still we have those who will say it's justifiable. I get highly upset each time I see this happen which is too often. It would be interesting to see how many blacks are killed at the hand of police officers compare to other races. Acts like this can not continue to happen without it reaching a boiling point which is not good for anyone. Police office like everyone else should be held legally accountable for their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies