Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
If someone at VA Tech would have been armed don't you think a few lives could have been saved? If armed you have a fighting chance, unarmed your a sheep to be slaughtered at will. Why is that so hard to understand?

You can give up and die, I will go down fighting hoping to at least take the bad guy with me so he is stopped. Who knows the life I (or someone else who is carrying) save may be yours!

You on the other hand prefer to let the bad guy take you and yours and do with them as he pleases. Sheep!
Dude, please re-read my post. What you're not accounting for is IF any of the people in that chained up building would have had a gun in the first place. Most of them were in there for language and, I think, engineering classes. I hardly think they would be more likely to have guns than, say, a class full of criminal justice students. So let's say guns were allowed on college campuses, what if no one wanted to carry one? Sorry, even if it was legal, I wouldn't want a gun. Too many things can go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 PM

479 posts, read 660,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Dude, please re-read my post. What you're not accounting for is IF any of the people in that chained up building would have had a gun in the first place. Most of them were in there for language and, I think, engineering classes. I hardly think they would be more likely to have guns than, say, a class full of criminal justice students. So let's say guns were allowed on college campuses, what if no one wanted to carry one? Sorry, even if it was legal, I wouldn't want a gun. Too many things can go wrong.
I disagree, I know literally hundreds of people in that carry daily. It's like putting a wallet in their pocket and no more noticeable that same.
I am willing to bet that engineers in particular would be on board with CCW on campus. In order to get a CCW permit substantial training is required along with the ability to show proficiency with a firearm, that type of discipline is right up an engineers alley!

Things don't go wrong when you are properly trained. If you are in a CCW state there are more people carrying around you everyday than you realize, do some research!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times
Quote:
I disagree, I know literally hundreds of people in that carry daily. It's like putting a wallet in their pocket and no more noticeable that same.
I am willing to bet that engineers in particular would be on board with CCW on campus. In order to get a CCW permit substantial training is required along with the ability to show proficiency with a firearm, that type of discipline is right up an engineers alley!

Things don't go wrong when you are properly trained. If you are in a CCW state there are more people carrying around you everyday than you realize, do some research!
Once again, I have to disagree. There's no saying that those people would have carried guns to class, even if they'd been allowed. I think you're dishonoring their memories by using them as political pawns to justify allowing guns on college campuses.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
And the U.S. Military are "properly trained" yet we always hear of "friendly-fire", surely that's something of a mess.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 PM

312 posts, read 507,375 times
forget the military. if something like Mumbai happens here shouldn't we have guns to fight for our families? they chose Mumbai because no one had guns to stop them.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
And the U.S. Military are "properly trained" yet we always hear of "friendly-fire", surely that's something of a mess.
That's not even remotely an argument....

Since when is war like walking down the street and getting mugged or being involved in a massacre..

Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
BigJon3475...

Quote:
Things don't go wrong when you are properly trained.
I was responding to this statement specifically.
I think the statement comes from some fantasy place where everyone who is 'properly trained' is a 'good' guy and a sharpshooter....ridiculous.

No one said that war and getting mugged or attacked by terrorists in a Mumbai style siege was the same, you are extrapolating with a sharp right turn.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:19 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:

. If you are in a CCW state there are more people carrying around you everyday than you realize, do some research!
Although I am and always have been for CC,I think it is YOU that need to do a bit of research..."Things don't go wrong when you are properly trained"....That is an assinine statement or at very least an uneducated one by someone who has never been out in the real world.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:23 AM

820 posts, read 1,203,112 times
Concealed carry laws have swept the nation during the last 20 years.
Like it or not.

www.wikipedia.com

Type in: Concealed carry in the United States (Case sensitive).

Check out the map, it can be zoomed up.
We are winning.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 AM

820 posts, read 1,203,112 times
Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
"...what if no one wanted to carry one?''

So why waste resources on prohibition?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies