Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:56 PM

4 posts, read 3,346 times

Advertisements

Most Holy Redeemer Catholic Church, in the heart of San Francisco’s gay Castro community, was vandalized over the weekend by opponents of Proposition 8, the California resolution passed by voters in November that rejected gay marriage. Swastikas were painted on the church and the names Ratzinger (referring to Pope Benedict XVI) and Niederauer (the San Francisco Archbishop) were scrawled besides the Nazi symbol.

In the wake of Proposition 8, innocent persons have been assaulted, churches have been vandalized, a white substance resembling anthrax was sent to the Knights of Columbus and to Mormon temples, supporters of traditional marriage have been branded Nazis, African Americans have been called the ‘N-word,’ houses and cars have been trashed, etc. Unfortunately, most of those in the gay community have been silent about these acts.

Catholic League: For Religious and Civil Rights (http://www.catholicleague.org/release.php?id=1538 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,608 times
I don't consider that a hate crime. I don't think churches should be targeted, but they court this controversy by getting involved in the first place. If they can't stand the heat, they shouldn't be pumping millions into discriminatory ballot propositions.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:04 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I don't consider that a hate crime. I don't think churches should be targeted, but they court this controversy by getting involved in the first place. If they can't stand the heat, they shouldn't be pumping millions into discriminatory ballot propositions.
Classic Liberal reaction - "It's not a Hate Crime because I agree with it"

Orwell would be proud of you.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
you know friend, somebody just trashed a church and you are being very sympathetic of those that did it.
i am very disappointed to see posts like this showing up on CDF.
a former san francisco resident

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-06-2009 at 11:20 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 11:11 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,857 times
It was wrong of them to do this to the Church but I can see why they did it.

I would be very angry if people voted on my right to marry and I would expect the Churches to put up a fight if they pumped millions into this.

Overall, it was wrong but I can see why it happened. I wish none of these things happened.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Classic Liberal reaction - "It's not a Hate Crime because I agree with it"

Orwell would be proud of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you know friend, somebody just trashed a church and you are being very sympathetic of those that did it.
i am very disppointed to see posts like this showing up on CDF.
a former san francisco resident
You guys both need to chill. I said I don't think churches should be targeted. I don't support attacks on churches. I never have and I never will. BUT...what I did say was that in such an emotionally charged issue as this, they shouldn't exactly be surprised. People who support legislation legalizing pedophilia should probably expect to be attacked at every turn. There are plenty of examples. When you do something deliberate that hurts someone else and barely affects you at all, maybe you shouldn't act like a victim. That's all I'm saying. If you need me to reiterate, I do not support attacks on churches. Geez...

Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Quote:
Targeting a church just because many Christians voted for Prop 8 sounds like a hate crime to me. For all these vandals know, members of this church could have voted no on Prop 8. If they really want to rally support for their cause, trashing a church and harassing folks are not the way to go.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Targeting a church just because many Christians voted for Prop 8 sounds like a hate crime to me. For all these vandals know, members of this church could have voted no on Prop 8. If they really want to rally support for their cause, trashing a church and harassing folks are not the way to go.
Like I said, I would never support any attacks on these churches. But I am reluctant to label this a "hate crime" because the same Christians who voted Yes on Prop 8 also tend to oppose legislation identifying crimes against gays as hate crimes. So while I deplore the actions of whoever attacked the church, I find it very hard to drum up sympathy for the people in the church who are now acting like martyrs.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,857 times
Quote:
Like I said, I would never support any attacks on these churches. But I am reluctant to label this a "hate crime" because the same Christians who voted Yes on Prop 8 also tend to oppose legislation identifying crimes against gays as hate crimes. So while I deplore the actions of whoever attacked the church, I find it very hard to drum up sympathy for the people in the church who are now acting like martyrs.
I agree. I too do not support attacks on the Church but I do understand why and can see why it happened.

I think people who think that hate crimes should not include gays should just re-think what exactly they are doing. It is so hurtful when I hear people thinking that gays should not be included. When I ask them if gay people are attacked, they say "yes" but NEVER provide a reason for why it should not be included as a hate crime.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,422 times
Quote:
A crime motivated by the victim's Race, Sex, Sexual Orientation or Religon is the DEFINITION of a hate crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies