Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:52 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Are non-Christians, non-whites denied rights today?
America elected a Black man with a Middle Eastern sounding name in a country where the majority of the population is made up of White people with European sounding names, so I would say the answer is a big fat NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Are non-Christians, non-whites denied rights today?
Maybe not on paper, but they still deal with a lot of crap... trust me, as a religious minority and woman myself, I can say the country is tailored to certain groups. Anyway, the original point also referred to straight vs. gay rights, and you cannot say they are equal today. Can you?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
America elected a Black man with a Middle Eastern sounding name in a country where the majority of the population is made up of White people with European sounding names, so I would say the answer is a big fat NO.
LOL... a comedian (I forget who - possibly Chris Rock) recently said that White people now have a "get out of jail free card" for electing Obama. Now nobody can claim we're racist, since we elected a Black man! As wonderful as that is, unfortunately it doesn't erase all of our race problems.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... a comedian (I forget who - possibly Chris Rock) recently said that White people now have a "get out of jail free card" for electing Obama. Now nobody can claim we're racist, since we elected a Black man! As wonderful as that is, unfortunately it doesn't erase all of our race problems.
Maybe not but black people can no longer say that they cannot get ahead in this country. Obama is the proof.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:02 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
You weren't speaking to me but I thought that I would reply. I would have been outraged had it been anti-gay slogans grafittied as I think it's wrong for people to get persecuted for their stance on issues. If they are pro gay marriage, let them advocate peacefully. If they are anti gay marriage, let them advocate peacefully. We live in the US and people should not be punished for how they vote or contribute to any ballot issue as that should be a private matter. I don't care which businesses or individuals voted against prop 8 and I would still associate with them or patronize their businesses.

I'm all for advocating peacefully and I don't support graffiti or destruction of property or harrassment or extortion or blackmail for any reason. However I do agree with people not giving their business to companies who advocate denying anyone their rights.

Are you telling me that if you knew of a company that supported a political campaign to ban Christianity and there was another company that didn't support it, or was run by Christians, and you could purchase an expensive item you wanted at the same price from either company, you would buy it from the one who wanted to ban Christianity rather than one that was pro-Christian or neutral? Really?

Quote:
It's a shame that the other side is so vindictive as apparent in the other thread about publicizing the names of those who donated.
The names of anyone or any company that donated to any political campaign are available as a matter of public record.

Are you aware that the Pro prop 8 side sent letters to dozens of companies who had donated to the No on prop 8 side before the election, "demanding" that they donate equal amounts to protectmarriage.com or else they would publish the names of the companies and "out" them as being opposed to traditional marriage? That's close to extortion/blackmail in my books.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:05 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Like I said, I would never support any attacks on these churches. But I am reluctant to label this a "hate crime" because the same Christians who voted Yes on Prop 8 also tend to oppose legislation identifying crimes against gays as hate crimes. So while I deplore the actions of whoever attacked the church, I find it very hard to drum up sympathy for the people in the church who are now acting like martyrs.
And if it was against the gays or a minority group, then it would be ok?
How hypocritical.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:08 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Hate crime that only reenforces many peoples view.Gays that claim this is eqaul to voting your opinion are just as much to blame for fostering that as equal. They can;t expect anyone you feel sorry for them when they are bashed ;harrassed IMO.
Ehh ...can you run that through the Babelfish translator again please?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:02 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
And if it was against the gays or a minority group, then it would be ok?
How hypocritical.
Yeah, because it's an opinion. I'm sure you'd be less upset if it was a crime against a gay person. So if you can be less upset if the crime was against a gay person than a church, I can be less upset that the crime was against a church than a gay person. Geez, people act like we have to have complete compassion for all groups, even if we disagree with the doctrines of Catholicism. As if.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies