Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:00 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,664 times

Advertisements

Please read this blog from last week.

The Mudflats » A Cry for Help from Rural Alaska. Is Anyone Listening? (http://www.themudflats.net/2009/01/14/a-cry-for-help-from-rural-alaska-is-anyone-listening/ - broken link)

It details the plight of the residents of Emmonak Alaska and the fact that the 800 families in the village are dealing with unprecedented high fuel prices and a failure of their main money making venture, fishing.

A clip:

"With 21 days left in the month, Mr. Tucker had only $440 left to feed and keep his family of nine warm, with heating oil at $7.83/gallon. As Emmonak runs out of fuel, it will have to be flown in, potentially raising the price to $9/gallon or more. While contemplating his own plight, he wondered how many other families of the 800 living in his village were having similar hard times. "

and this:

"A question. Where is our Governor? What are her priorities? I have heard her concerns about anonymous bloggers, about media coverage, about the legislature, and the gas line. I have seen press releases come out saying “There you go again” to the Anchorage Daily News. I haves seen lots of time and energy focused on how Sarah Palin feels mistreated by the media. But I have not heard one, single, solitary word about Emmonak. I have seen no press releases about what my state’s government is doing to help its people in harm’s way. "

And an update from yesterday

The Mudflats » Rural Alaska in Crisis - The Real Tragedy of Troopergate. (Updated) (http://www.themudflats.net/2009/01/17/rural-alaska-in-crisis-the-real-tragedy-of-troopergate/ - broken link)

which details Palin's promise to visit the area to evaluate the situation. And her failure to follow through in a timely manner despite the likelihood that almost 1,000 Alaskan families are currently starving and freezing to death in Emmonak.

Very telling- and not a smart thing to do if this woman has higher political aspirations in her sites. If this is how she is treating this little fishing village, what could be expect from Palin during a hurricane or terrorist attack? That she would bury her head in the sand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 06:05 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
I can tell this thread is going to be just another "Trash Sarah Palin" thread. I'm not wasting my time. Sorry.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:13 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I can tell this thread is going to be just another "Trash Sarah Palin" thread. I'm not wasting my time. Sorry.
It's a "Thank God we dodged a bullet by not having this clueless person in the White House administration" thread. As a country, it never hurts to be reminded by cautionary tales such as these.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:18 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
But yet you posted anyway.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:19 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
It's a "Thank God we dodged a bullet by not having this clueless person in the White House administration" thread. As a country, it never hurts to be reminded by cautionary tales such as these.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Now are these native peoples who have no other place to live? I was wondering if these are seasonal villages? What do you know about this? Personally I see it as a charity need as apposed to a government solution. I am wondering if some program to help pay for heating as is in most states administered and applied for would work in this case? Also is it primarily an isolation program. I know low income folks would be on some type of assistance. Info welcome.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 AM

I don't know much other than what was in the blogs and the little bit of information I found through a google search, as I live in the opposite corner of the continent and have only visited Alaska twice.

However, we have been quick to criticize GWB for his handling of the national disaster known as Hurricane Katrina.

There is a disaster on a smaller scale occuring as we speak. Families are starving and freezing to death while Palin lets this happen and instead pursues her political aspirations. She is in a unique and powerful position right now in that the press will listen to her. Rather than focus on helping the residents of her state, she prefers to use the public interest in her own personal favor.

That is wrong when people are starving and freezing- and have about four cold months ahead of them.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:53 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Native people sometimes have their own government and often there are problems with that. Now if you really want to help these folks out go over to the religion forum and see if the folks there have a local call to action. No need to tie up the President with what is a state issue, just like Katrina. States are their own entity, they can not have help forced upon them. Do admire your passion. Easy to surf, harder to do something about it.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:03 AM

I've donated and I have e mailed this information to several media sources. Unfortunately I am not in a position to travel to Alaska and my finances are not infinite. However, every little bit helps seven of nine so I hope you have donated as well since you were quick to cast a stone and criticize.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
But yet you posted anyway.
Hey Mullieeeeeeeeee

not responding to the trash Palin thread, she is a has been, just saying mornin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies