Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:33 AM

673 posts, read 4,070,237 times

Advertisements

I am wondering why some people have such deep hatred and are paranoid about the word liberal. They are also foam at the mouth when they hear the words "Kennedy", "Clinton", "Gore".

Is it that the word conservative sounds better and sounds more sophisticated?

Its bizzare how some people are extremely paranoid about liberals raising taxes when the tax increases liberals will propose will just be for the very, very rich. I am sure very few mainstram liberals would raise taxes on the middle-income people.

Also this obcession with abortion the anti-liberals have is amazing, they seem to have a love-affair with the embryo but gasp at the thought of using that embryo thats just going sit in a tube for years in a lab being used for research to cure people with horrible diseases.

Ive always been amazed by the hatred some people have for the word liberal, they are pre-occupied by it and alot of them are easily fooled into politicians who say the magic "conservative" word.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:22 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I am wondering why some people have such deep hatred and are paranoid about the word liberal. They are also foam at the mouth when they hear the words "Kennedy", "Clinton", "Gore".

Its bizzare how some people are extremely paranoid about liberals raising taxes when the tax increases liberals will propose will just be for the very, very rich. I am sure very few mainstram liberals would raise taxes on the middle-income people.

Also this obcession with abortion the anti-liberals have is amazing, they seem to have a love-affair with the embryo but gasp at the thought of using that embryo thats just going sit in a tube for years in a lab being used for research to cure people with horrible diseases.

Ive always been amazed by the hatred some people have for the word liberal, they are pre-occupied by it and alot of them are easily fooled into politicians who say the magic "conservative" word.
ah Matt,you are stiring the pot on numerous issues on this on eh?
ok,once again I'll post some my thoughts...

first of all what is rich?Who determines what is rich?50k a year?100k?300K?500k? a million?Is the farmer who works 365 days a year,gets dirty,lives humbly yet owns a land worth a million dollars rich?When that farmer gives that land to their kid is it right that they get nailed with a inheritance tax that may make them have to sell some or all of the farm just to pay it?

let me tell you a story,once met a guy who bought a truck started running shrimp from Tampa to Jacksonville.He then saved and opened a small seafood store.He then bought a shrimp boat and worked for a company.He then bought that company and now has 6 shrimp boats working for him.He now exports live shrimp to China.The guy drives a pickup truck,he is at the company 60 to 80 hours a week.I asked him doesn't he get tired of working.He said he loves his work,its his passion.The guy is now a millionaire though he doesn't look or act rich.Why punish him for his hard labor and success by pillaging him with taxes?

Taking away from people like that is no motavation to better yourself,yet this is what liberals do with taxes and redistribution of wealth with social programs.You know,Gore Ted Kennedy and so on never got their hands dirty like that guy,but they are rich,they themselves got rich off of oil deals and so on.Dude its about principle,that you work hard and can enjoy the fruits of your labor.I make less than 50k a year but I dont have jealousy that makes me say rob the rich,give some to me!

abortion,I stayed away from that thread,but I'll say this,I was adopted,I could have been aborted and never would have experienced this wonderful thing called life the good and bad off it.When you think of yourself before you were born do you think of yourself as you or as a "it"?No matter what you think a embryo is,nature taking its course makes it a human being there for it is a person no matter what stage of development...ok,everybody raise their hands if you are sorry you were ever born.....???We have days that suck,but Im sure everybody is happy to be alive.If those people that were aborted how do you think they would respond to that question..

dude Im not against helping people out but too many times liberal social programs feed people scraps,and never get them out of poverty yet punish people like that shrimp boat guy for working hard.America is based on individualism and freedom to prosper.Now is cases like the insurance companies,were they are setting record profits yet destroying common people,this is were rich,needs to be reigned in just like the turn of the century labor laws.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:38 AM

btw Matt,hate is too strong of word,I dont hate liberals,I just think too many of there ideas are wrong.

I cant think of anyone I hate,Osama Bin Ladin and his henchmen might be the closest I come to feeling that way.I really dislike Hillary Clinton though,based on her persona.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

dude Im not against helping people out but too many times liberal social programs feed people scraps,and never get them out of poverty yet punish people like that shrimp boat guy for working hard..
I tend to agree with this.
I've really been puzzling over this situation in recent months.
Also, I don't like feeling *coerced* to do anything, whether it's my body or paying $60 for a background check on my own self or any number of things.
I don't think unrestrained consumerism/capitalism does anybody all that much good. But neither does unrestrained political correctness/social programs.
I dunno. I am really at a loss, and hope for a happy medium.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:33 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
I don't hate liberals I hate liberalism. I don't care for some conservatives either. The ideas and beliefs of liberalism are dangerous and wrong. And is the ruin of America and society. They just can't see that.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:06 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post

This is a great question, you should start by asking why Liberals themselves are ashamed of being liberal, and take offfense when being called liberal, and try using all kinds of terminology and smoke and mirrors to hide what true liberalism means! You said it all with the three liberals you just named, they are and were the top spenders in the senate!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:16 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
You said it all with the three liberals you just named, they are and were the top spenders in the senate!
Can you support that statement or is it just your opinion?

Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Can you support that statement or is it just your opinion?
Go to the nonpartisan CAGW "Citizens againts government waste", and the NTU, National Taxpayers Union, web sites!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:23 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Taking away from people like that is no motavation to better yourself,yet this is what liberals do with taxes and redistribution of wealth with social programs.You know,Gore Ted Kennedy and so on never got their hands dirty like that guy,but they are rich,they themselves got rich off of oil deals and so on.Dude its about principle,that you work hard and can enjoy the fruits of your labor.I make less than 50k a year but I dont have jealousy that makes me say rob the rich,give some to me!

And just when did George W Bush ever get his hands dirty?

I'd rather pay taxes to fund programs that benefit American people rather than fund no-bid handouts to Halliburton, and there's already been some serious reports of Itaqia wasting large sums of $, guess whose $?, and former Iraqi officials building villas throughout Europe, wonder where that $ came from.

No, I guess I'm just old and sentimental, I'd rather see Americans have access to health care and education among other things than see foreign dignataries living in luxury on our nickel.

Last edited by burdell; 03-11-2007 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-11-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And just when did George W Bush ever get his hands dirty?

I'd rather pay taxes to fund programs that benefit American people rather than fund no-bid handouts to Halliburton, and there's already been some serious reports of Itaqia wasting large sums of $, guess whose $?, and former Iraqi officials building villas throughout Europe, wonder where that $ came from.

No, I guess I'm just old and sentimental, I'd rather see Americans have access to health care and education among other things than see foreign dignataries living in luxury on our nickel.
ah but Im not defending Bush,or other so called Republicans or conservatives that say one thing and do another.Im saying that overall conservative or Libertarian ideals come closer to my beliefs that I have said.

What I am also saying is that liberals tend to say that Bush ,big oil,and Republicans get rich off the expense of others while Liberal Democrats bash them but do exactly the same thing....

Years and years of Liberal black leaders saying they are for the poor,years and years latter too many black Americans are still living in ghetto conditions and liberal politicians give them scraps,yet their redistibution of wealth does nothing to enhance their lives...that goes for poor people no matter their ethic background.Why,because liberal leaders are not really for the poor,they are in their own fraternity of political power and thats all they really care about.

Just like a unscrupulous employer can manipulate or exploit its employees or customers,those in government are masters at doing so.and I emphasize the term "masters" because when you are dependent on them they are your masters.

I think the saying "give a man a fish,he'll eat for a day...teach a man to fish he'll eat for a lifetime" applies to my thoughts.

and also the saying "those that never had a chance,never took a chance".

Last edited by lionking; 03-11-2007 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies