Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times

Advertisements

Well, perhaps it's because we are emerging from a patriarchal society dominated by white men. Minorities and women were unable to partake in any meaningful or equivalent way until extremely recently.

The natural inclination is to push as hard as one can in the opposite direction of oppression - possibly too hard to the point that no one can even acknowledge the race of another person. But, in the end, one must realize that such a culture of "political correctness" exists because of a status quo that created the problem in the first place. If there weren't that institutionalized bigotry against which progressives fight (be it minorities, women, now homosexuals), there would be no need for over-the-top "thin skinned" behavior.

Enlightenment would stop this yo-yo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 09:02 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,459,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I think so...

Liberals have too thin of skin. They are always the victims... Always playing the race card. Look at Roland Burris!!! No one could touch him because he was a little, soft spoken black man who perpetually lost elections in Illinois. What if a guy who looked like Mitt Romney was Blagjevich's Senate appointee??? He would have been chopped and screwed...

Anyone who would have staunchly opposed this 'tool' of an appointee would have been politically lynched. Especially if the person was a white male!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,613,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
And tell me why it's such an offensive thing to not be a complete neanderthal & have total lack of class when talking about certain groups of people? I'm guessing that maybe you are an individual who has absolutely no concern for others & probably little social skills, I can't see any reason why it would be such a hardship to have some tact.

Quick! Put on a thick jacket to protect your thin skin!

Athiest, tofu eating, coffee house nuts like yourself don't know what class is.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,320,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Enlightenment would stop this yo-yo.
Implying white males are bigoted and the cause of societies ills, is hardly enlightening.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
well depends on who you talk to, according to the hard right the obligation of the rest of us is to shut up and obey, this applies especially to the many lectures for the last 8 years on respecting the office, lookatem now.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,320,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
So it seems to me that what you're really pissed about is maybe you tried to apply for a job & were turned down because you weren't qualified? Can you trace political correctness to liberals? And tell me why it's such an offensive thing to not be a complete neanderthal & have total lack of class when talking about certain groups of people? I'm guessing that maybe you are an individual who has absolutely no concern for others & probably little social skills, I can't see any reason why it would be such a hardship to have some tact.
I like how you criticized the original poster for tactlessly criticizing others, by tactlessly personally attacking him

Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
I like how you criticized the original poster for tactlessly criticizing others, by tactlessly personally attacking him
I don't know, I think my post was more of a pondering on his reasoning for being so ornery.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:15 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Quick! Put on a thick jacket to protect your thin skin!

Athiest, tofu eating, coffee house nuts like yourself don't know what class is.
I'm not a fan of tofu.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
well depends on who you talk to, according to the hard right the obligation of the rest of us is to shut up and obey, this applies especially to the many lectures for the last 8 years on respecting the office, lookatem now.
The prophet has SPOKE!!! You remind me of a Morgan Freeman -esque god-like black man figure...

Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post

Ho ho ho, hardy-hardy-har! Don't be wimps you two! There's no government skirt to hide under on this thead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies