Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:28 AM

114 posts, read 181,085 times

Advertisements

We got moms being arrested on planes and labeled as terrorists because they argue with a flight attendant...but gang members roam free and are even recruited by the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,170,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I eas a policeman in Watts when the Crips were started--I've never understood why the US constitutional provison against advocating the violent overthrow of the US has not been invoked against gangs. Gangs are really dangerous--moreso than most people can even fathom.
That sort of logic and understanding of criminal law coming from someone who worked for the LAPD doesn't surprising me. You weren't at the Ramparts Div by any chance?

O.V. Catto
Crenshaw H.S.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:05 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,492,672 times
I grew up in Washington, D.C. during the Rafel Edmond drug era but you know what I realize. Poor schools and bad parenting are much more of a threat to this country than gangs. Gangs are sensationalized through documentaries and propaganda but good parenting and sound education will neutralize the draw of a gang..It did for me.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:49 PM

18,006 posts, read 15,707,115 times
Gangs are a huge problem. They are spreading rapidly, and branching into areas where they previously were completly unknown. The Reservations around hre have been infiltrated heavily, and these creeps operate out there almost with impunity. Regular law enforcement has no jurisdiction out there and the Tribal departments are way undermanned. It's not just an urban issue anymore.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:55 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,932,618 times
Depends...how do you define "gangs"... is it any criminal "organization"... would you consider someone who commits a crime independently and then sells it to a criminal organization as part of a "gang" as well? And how do you define "crime"... does it include misdemeanors and felonies? or just felonies? Would an illegal brothel be labeled as a "gang" as well? Statistics are just that... ways to twist the truth of the matter..

Old 01-31-2009, 03:07 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,415,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That sort of logic and understanding of criminal law coming from someone who worked for the LAPD doesn't surprising me. You weren't at the Ramparts Div by any chance?

O.V. Catto
Crenshaw H.S.

No I didn't work in an area as nice as Rampart. ...and my inflamatory remark has nothing to do with my knowledge of criminal law. It has a lot to do with seeing the suffering caused by those hoodlums.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:15 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,170,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
No I didn't work in an area as nice as Rampart. ...and my inflamatory remark has nothing to do with my knowledge of criminal law. It has a lot to do with seeing the suffering caused by those hoodlums.
The suffering part I can understand, while working for one paper, whose name we shall not speak, I couldn't get a story about gang violence into the paper until the they decided to have an version of the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral with AK-47s on a bright Sunday afternoon, and even then I had to do a little yelling and screaming.

But when I read, such inflammatory remarks about the law and the criminal justice system, especially on this board, it gives me grave cause for concern. Your point has been duly noted and accepted for what it is. Sorry for jumping on your comments.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:41 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,415,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The suffering part I can understand, while working for one paper, whose name we shall not speak, I couldn't get a story about gang violence into the paper until the they decided to have an version of the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral with AK-47s on a bright Sunday afternoon, and even then I had to do a little yelling and screaming.

But when I read, such inflammatory remarks about the law and the criminal justice system, especially on this board, it gives me grave cause for concern. Your point has been duly noted and accepted for what it is. Sorry for jumping on your comments.
No problem. LAPD is one of the finest policing agencies in the world. --or rather it was when I worked there in the late 1960s through the mid 1990s. (this doesn't mean that there were/are not problems--any big organization has problems...but it how those problems are delt with that is important.)

I am very proud to have been one of the 0.25% who were hired and made it through the academy. I am very proud of the people that I worked with, and pleased that we were able to protect the citizens we could.

Unless you actually saw, on a daily basis what's going on, you could have no idea the pain, suffering, misery and fear caused by gang members. Even though you were a police reporter, you did not see the worst of it. It is horrible. Many people who lived in the community where I worked said that they would rather be in jail--because they would be safer there. Whether one chose to believe them or not irrelevant. Just uttering such words is an indictment of our ability to rid the community of the scourge of gangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies