Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 10:18 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,286,148 times

Advertisements

IS HEALTH CARE A 'PRIVILEGE' FOR SOME?

Is health care a 'privilege' for some? - First Read - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 10:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Part of the 40+ million without health insurance are here illegally

There are those who, although they can afford it, don't have it. Many fit into the 20 somethings - who don't see the need to spend the money

If we want to bring down the costs of health insurance - get Congress to pass legislation allowing health insurance to be sold across state lines.
Yes, about 20% of the uninsured are here illegally, from what I have read. I agree about the 20somethings. Hopefully, there can be some form of mandatory ins. coverage (like for owning a car) that can draw the 20somethings into the fold. There are many reforms needed in health insurance.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, about 20% of the uninsured are here illegally, from what I have read. I agree about the 20somethings. Hopefully, there can be some form of mandatory ins. coverage (like for owning a car) that can draw the 20somethings into the fold. There are many reforms needed in health insurance.
You want to FORCE people to have health insurance? You have got to be kidding?

Do you also want to give insurance to those here illegally?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:

I would allow an opt out, but make it hard, also include a requirement that employers provide it for all working say, 24 hrs a week or more.

To the second question, no.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:26 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,007,915 times
I guess I don't understand what everyone is screaming about. There have been plenty of times that I was without insurance and needed medical help. I wasn't turned away. I recieved treatment and the hospital/doctor even worked with me to set up a payment plan that fit my budget. Almost all doctors/hospitals will accept payments from patients, but the patient has to actually ask the billing office, not just ignore the bill.

I have insurance and had knee surgery in June and since my bones decided they didn't want to heal, I'm finally returning to part-time work on Monday. That's 8 months of weekly doctor visits and PT 2 times a week with it turning into PT once a week just 2 weeks ago. Even with insurance and a steady disability income Mayo Clinic was willing to take what I could afford as a monthly payment.

I owe them thousands of dollars and will be paying for the next few years, but at least I'm paying them and if I can send more than I do and if my financials head south I just call and renegotiate a new payment plan.

My aunt is without medical and suffers from severe manic depression. She has no minsurance but is seen and receives her meds regularly. She has a payment plan of $10-$40 a month set up with her provider. She is usually jobless, so that is what she can afford. Her doctor was willing to work with her, because she asked.

If people would just figure out that they don't need that 52in tv with HD and the HD DVD player and the $1000 stereo system or the 8 bedroom/5 bathroom mcmansion. They don't need that $50,000 car or any of the other expensive toys, they could afford their doctor bills. When a medical problem does arise, cut out additional spending until the doctor is paid off. In the last 8 months my husband and I have cut all extra spending and even though my salary was cut drastically, and we added a medical bill every month, we are getting by just fine.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Part of the 40+ million without health insurance are here illegally

There are those who, although they can afford it, don't have it. Many fit into the 20 somethings - who don't see the need to spend the money

If we want to bring down the costs of health insurance - get Congress to pass legislation allowing health insurance to be sold across state lines.
Yes, some of those are here illegally leaving 37-38, million Americans without health insurance.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Yes, people should be forced to have health insurance because those that don't

add to the COST those who do .

Old 03-07-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes, people should be forced to have health insurance because those that don't
You may not realize what you have done above but - you have made a statement advocating Communisim

Old 03-07-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
You may not realize what you have done above but - you have made a statement advocating Communisim
I don't give a damn what you label it...it's the truth.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I don't give a damn what you label it...it's the truth.
So, you are now supportive of the United States becoming a Communistic country?

Then, you are not a supporter of Freedom. Of Personal Freedoms. Of the right of the individual to make decisions. You ARE a supporter it seems of the Government making decisions for you.

Shameful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies