Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I would agree with you if not for the fact that people in Europe over 65, who depend on the taxes paid by younger generations, outnumber the segment of the population that is under 15.
Europe is becoming an old continent.
There is hope however. The Muslim segment of Europe is growing exponentially. They are not practicing birth control and they are averaging 5 to 6 children per couple. Hopefully they will prevent a population collapse in Europe. Of course it will not be the Europe that we recognize today.
It will undoubtedly be a very conservative Europe. Homosexuality will once again become marginalized maybe even outlawed. The permissive culture that characterizes so many European capitals will be a thing of the past and we may even see Sharia become the law of the land.
Combating defamation of religions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 03:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i dont think europe is facing extinction. they been getting a piece of the good life too, but then they did a major import of legal/illegal immigrants and all that changed. now its our turn.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:37 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
The world is vastly overpopulated, and this dude is talking about extinction...
The 1st World population IS shrinking. Nearly all population growth in the world is occurring in low income, undeveloped countries.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The 1st World population IS shrinking. Nearly all population growth in the world is occurring in low income, undeveloped countries.
The only way the 1st world can hope to keep from sliding further into the Idiocracy hole it seems unable to resist is through personal (individual and within the family) responsibility and serious efforts toward serious, world-class education for all. That way they can stay competitive in innovation and stay on top in control of the capital and militarily. It has the advantage for the time being. If the current third world continues to breed, if it cant afford to educate its children it will remain on the bottom.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,936 times
What the hell?? Meow meow meow.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:08 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
So we should just try to outbreed them and become 3rd world countries ourselves as people have more children than they can support?

Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Having been to Europe, and seeing how crowded it is (the Netherlands is the most densely populated country in Europe and I was there), I think they'd do well to have a few fewer people, maybe even a lot fewer.
Good points, but keep in mind that the child birth rate in Italy, Germany, France, Spain, and England is very low. While the city centers are very crowded, that's understandable since most of these nations depend heavily on tourism. Besides, you can have a lot of Spaniards in Italy (for example), and vice-versa, just partying, visiting, etc., much like in the CA/Nevada neighboring towns.

I remember a year or two ago when a German leader told Germans on the news to have children, or their culture will completely change. The link below is not what I am talking about, but illustrates what is happening to Germany in relation to an extremely low birth rate, and how the German government is encouraging having children.
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,1565057,00.html
A society without children of their own depends on immigrants from other countries to supplement the society's workforce. It's a simple as that. Since immigrants have no trouble whatsoever having children, sometimes because of their religious beliefs, as the native-born population ages and dies, the society's culture changes. France is having a huge problem at the moment, and so some regions of Spain.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-01-2009 at 07:59 PM..

Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I don't think the overcrowding I saw was due to tourism. I was there in April, not prime tourist season. It wasn't like being in Disneyworld. There were just lots of people, all over the place. The bike lots in the Netherlands were jam-packed with bikes. The Netherlands is the densest populated country in Europe.

I am aware that there has to be a new generation earning money (and paying taxes) to supplant the present one, but once the birth rate goes down for a few generations, the population will be in sync again.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Well with the number of people supporting one person on SS getting closer and closer to 1:1 you better hope (for your entitlement sakes) we keep having children. The problem now with entitlements is people are living longer and longer each year and procedures becoming more technical and costing more and more. Of course this disregards the rest of our system that is setup to combat population growth not population decreases.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:13 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
The world is vastly overpopulated, and this dude is talking about extinction...
Let me fix that for you...
The third world is vastly overpopulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies