Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

i already did. did you notice who is in the white house, cost me money and some effort but it worked. but dont thank me thank DEMO WMD, tina fey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 12:01 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
He's referring to the fact that without healthy caribou herds (and moose) lots of people will be starving to death in Alaska, literally. The overpopulated wolves nearly wiped out one caribou herd (but the predator control program has saved that herd). Easy for someone in an urban area to say "go buy your food" but that simply isn't possible in many parts of AK.
Source, please, of the caribou on the verge of extinction from wolf attacks?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
These people aren't just hunters, they are subsistence hunters. They literally need to hunt in order to survive. There are no roads, no grocery stores, no services of any kind. They live off the land, and when the wolf population gets too big for a given area, they decimate all the game in that area so that no one else can survive either.

The wolf culling (started by Governor Knowles (D) in 1996, for all those idiots who think Governor Palin started it) keeps the wolf population from getting too large. Not only for the sake of humans, but also the wolves. Have you ever watched a starving wolf chase down field mice and shrews because there is nothing left to eat? It isn't a pretty picture.

If the ignorant leaf-licking liberal freaks had their way and stopped the wolf culling, the moose and caribou population in those certain areas would be completely wiped out, and both wolves and humans alike would then starve to death.
Ridiculous. No human in Alaska is starving because of the wolf population. That's pure bullsh*t. It is true, though, that the "culling" of the wolves is to satisfy the bloodthirst of some Alaskan hunters, who simply want all the game for themselves.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Don't feed me this hypocritical nonsense about keeping things "civil" when for 8 years you liberal freaks have been spewing all kinds of bile and hatred.

Sport hunting is not what this thread is about.

Nature's way of taking "it's own due course" is to let them starve, both wolf and human alike, after the wolves wipe out everything edible in an area. So you are right, the problem would not need to be addressed because all moose, caribou, wolves, and humans in that area would be dead.

In case you were not aware, the Department of Fish & Game within every state is mandated with maintaining the fish and game resources of that state for the benefit of humans.
Stand back, pal. Don't you even THINK about skewering the behavior of liberals for the past 8 years, when your so-called "conservative," hateful piece-of-crap President spent those same 8 years bringing this nation to its knees.

You want to revel in your I'm-a-real-man-cuz-I-live-in-Alaska-and-kill-for-food dreamworld, you go right ahead. But if you think for one second that that gives you permission to start attacking other people because their experience, politics, and (especially) knowledge differs from yours--you're wrong.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
To those of you who claim the wolves are not overpopulated, do you also say that deer are not overpopulated in the eastern US?
Actually, it's people who are overpopulated, not deer. Before humans started reproducing like rabbits, expanding their range and destroying natural deer habitats, there was no "deer overpopulation." There is most certainly, however, a human overpopulation. In fact, human population levels on the land base of the United States has already surpassed sustainable levels.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You do realize this program was started by a democrat governor? The department of Fish and Game regulates and implements the conservation program.
Please education yourself on the history of the Department of Fish and Game.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertGirl View Post
I am not from Alaska, though wish I was, as a hunter, fisher and outdoorsy type that is into off-the-grid living. Where I live currently, coyotes are a major concern. They kill livestock, attack children, and contribute to the slow but steady decrease in the mule deer populations (a decline tracked since the 1970s). California used to have a cash bounty on coyotes but that has been discontinued (I can only imagine who got that stopped!). Now their population has exploded artificially, with the overabundance of garbage, livestock, and roadkill available to sustain them. When times get lean, they pack up and double the damage on ranches and farms. We shot one bachelor male last year that was trying to kill some of our goats and he was very thin (his hide may be made into a jacket [fashion]...maybe a rug [acceptable utilitarian use]...I'm not sure yet). Coyotes come in from the hills and breed with dogs, creating a new breed of predator, the coydog.
So every morning we patrol the fenceline armed with a .22 with a scope...if I could hunt them from a plane I would. I watched one morning as 6 coyotes jumped my fence, each gripping a screaming chicken in its mouth, while 11 other chickens lay slaughtered for the fun of it. That won't happen to my valuable Angora goat kids.
Coyote population isn't "exploding" because of garbage, livestock, etc. It's "exploding" because human beings can't stop reproducing beyond a sustainable level, and because--as a result--we steal their habitat. Where are they supposed to go? What are they supposed to eat? If you don't want your chickens killed, then protect them. Not too difficult to figure out.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
You do what you got to do I guess. Btw I really liked your post on ADF&G. I think that is real environmentalism at its core. Careful management and protection of nature so it can be enjoyed by current and future generations of outdoor enthusiasts.
No, careful management and protection of nature so that it can survive. Because it's beautiful and deserves to survive, regardless of its use value to us. And because if nature doesn't survive, we don't survive. It has nothing to do with "enjoyment."

Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 AM

Too tired. Too many misspellings. Good night.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
As a dog lover, I can not stomach how people are so in "love" with Sarah Palin and can mutter the words "charm" and anything positive towards her with policies such as aerial hunting.
Please see this video and more importantly...take action...send a message to her office online (less than a minute) and forward to your friends.

150 dollars for a severed paw is what Palin proposes.
How can somebody hate animals so much...and how can people not hold her accountable.
Hey,
If you get a chance....go this site. Watch the video, send a message, and forward this to other people. Sarah Palin is a ruthless ***** and people should see the other "side" or her "charm"

Eye On Palin - Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund (http://www.eyeonpalin.org/ - broken link)

Sarah Palin is a milder version of Hitler...this is just so inhumane...and I say this as one of Jewish heritage.
Classy gal and state.

"people should see the other "side" or her "charm"

How about we simply look at the other side of the issue?

Hey Professor Einstein, guess how the wolf population is controlled without human control measures, Give up?

Starvation. When their numbers grow too large, they eviscerate too many prey animals causing their supply of meat to grow too small to support the oversized packs. Then the young, old and weak simply starve to death in the cold. What sort of sick individual would support that when they can be humanely destroyed? But what do I know, I'm dealing with the same crowd that though it was OK to starve Terri Schiavo.

You know, the more attention you show to Ashley (I love abortion) Judd,the more she'll act up to draw even more attention to herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies