Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yet, in my area of the country, ELL students are very common - in Las Vegas for instance, there have been some estimates of upwards to a 1/3 of the students in the Clark County School Districts are children of illegal immigrants - and they (the students) have little knowledge of english yet, they HAVE TO BE placed in "regular" classes - where they actually hold back other students from learning.
AGain.. GD.. like I said.. what works for YOUR Area.. I don't begrudge anyone that.. I OPPOSE it on a BLANKET national level

Old 02-16-2009, 10:50 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
BTW.. your social engineering theory is .. well flawed.. WHY? well because if that were true then all of us in an equal education environement would be making the same money.. guess what .. we're not..
It's not my theory - it's Ed School and educator theory, and I agree it doesn't work. That doesn't stop ed schools from teaching it though, does it? Just look at the evidence I posted that shows that the equal outcomes ideology is taught in Ed Schools throughout the country.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:51 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
i did not mean special ed in the sense of children with disabilities or mental disabilities.. I meant in a slower learning class..

I take it from your posts you are a real estate agent.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
LOL.. hmm.. Fist.. where the hell is Lake Wobegon USA.. LOL. THAt is NOT my SD.. nor any district in an area that I grew up in.. So it doesn't apply

The article discusses how parents and others in several school districts throughout the U.S. are shocked to find out that the results their schools' report on their students' achievement is deceptive.

Quote:
And did you NOT READ the line where I say.. GREAT.. if vouchers work for your AREA.. go right ahead.. BUT I'm opposed for it across a NATIONAL BOARD!!! Because schools are so localized what works for YOUR district won't for others. I don't begrudge you or anyonen doing what is best for your area.. but STAY OUT OF MINE ..we'll figure out what works best of us where we are, thank you very much!
You could stay in your public school with school choice, so where's the problem? Why are you so afraid to give people a choice?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
And.. it will not be wanted in certain areas.. where schools are closely tied into property values. If you suddenly did away with the structure of things , say on Long Island, then you would have many up in arms who paid more for their home to live in a certain district who will now loose that value because it no longer applies.
Ah - I see. That's your agenda.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
[/color]
The article discusses how parents and others in several school districts throughout the U.S. are shocked to find out that the results their schools' report on their students' achievement is deceptive.

[color=darkorchid]
You could stay in your public school with school choice, so where's the problem? Why are you so afraid to give people a choice?

Vouchers are designed to kill public ed. They are designed primarily to let whites in the South opt out of going to schools with blacks. Hence, the reasons the GOP loves 'em.

Comparing public schools and private schools is a clasic apples and oranges. You do know that?

Public schools MUST take all children in a given geographic area; private schools pick and choose.

Also, don't think all private schools are living up to the hype promoted by the businesses that invest in them.

One in the Milwaukee area was closed by Wi DPI after it was found that they were letting the students either leave or play games in the classroom, while the Admin. was busy forging test scores. Much of their PR comes from the fact that they are not closely regulated by anyone but themselves.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Vouchers are designed to kill public ed.
I respectfully disagree.

If a parent has a child in a low performing public school, or a school that has problems with drugs or violence, why shouldn't they have the opportunity to place THEIR child in an environment where their child can get a better education and perhaps a safer environment?

Oh, I know - let them pay for it is the usual response. But, what if they cannot afford to pay for it? Who suffers? The child does.

I say, let the parents have the choice - if they request a voucher, let them have it. If the tuition at the private school is more than the voucher, then the parents will have to make arrangements to pay the difference.

Either way, the cost to the taxpayers is exactly the same.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
.Vouchers are designed to kill public ed. They are designed primarily to let whites in the South opt out of going to schools with blacks. Hence, the reasons the GOP loves 'em.

Comparing public schools and private schools is a clasic apples and oranges. You do know that?

Public schools MUST take all children in a given geographic area; private schools pick and choose.
Taking all children in a given area isn't the problem. It's how the public schools educate them that has caused/is continuing to cause the achievement declines noted in A Nation At Risk and The Other Crisis in American Education.

Quote:
Also, don't think all private schools are living up to the hype promoted by the businesses that invest in them.

One in the Milwaukee area was closed by Wi DPI after it was found that they were letting the students either leave or play games in the classroom, while the Admin. was busy forging test scores. Much of their PR comes from the fact that they are not closely regulated by anyone but themselves.
If that happens, families can choose a different school.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:20 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Why do Republicans/Conservatives hate Public Education so much?

Because if EVERYONE in America had a decent education,the republican party would cease to exist is why.
Uh ... You have that backwards ... Most of the Democratic platform is based in emotionalism which many college educated folks can see right through. Liberalism depends upon the uneducated to survive which is why our public education system is so dumbed down.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Well, most conservatives and even many libertarians (myself included) don't have a problem with public education per se and would abolish it even if given the power to do so, but rather how wasteful and unsuccessful it is.

The US spends more per student than most nations on Earth. In fact, the only nation I am aware of that spends more on education per primary and secondary student is Switzerland. Yet most other First World nations outperform the US on tests.

Not only are test scores lower, but the money isn't even all that well spent. Even many schools in middle-class neighborhoods still have problems with funding repairs, after-school programs, building additions to school builds, etc.

And to top it all off, American teachers aren't the highest paid in the world (although they are pretty high on the list) and they don't have a low pupil to teacher ratio. Where is all the money going? It's not all going to the teachers, it's not going to building repairs, most after-class programs and activities are under-funded, and so on.
Exactly! Where is all of our tax dollars going? I know several public school teachers and they aren't going towards the classroom or teacher pay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies