Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 PM

425 posts, read 665,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
What led you to that conclusion? Do you actually know anything at all about which expenses a President is personally responsible for and which he (or she) is not? It would certainly not appear so...
Are you saying Obama paid the airfare (via Air Force One) to Chicago?

BTW, why did you put (or she)???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Yes. It was removed. The point was not whether the Mall lawn should be fixed or not. The OP was trying to blame the damage on the Obama inauguration, and added the cost of fixing the lawn to the cost of the inauguration - which, of course, is dumb.
Does anybody bother to read before posting and do any of the posters live in DC. Much of this discussion is silly. The following article is from 2007 and if you live in a bubble and didn't know well now you do.

Private donations sought for National Mall - USATODAY.com
Private donations sought for National Mall
The National Mall attracts 25 million visitors a year — more than Yosemite, the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone parks combined, according to the park service.

The park service issues 3,000 permits a year. Regular events include this week's Veterans Day ceremonies, the spring Cherry Blossom Festival, July 4th fireworks and presidential inaugurations.

There are concerts, book fairs, charity races and motorcycle rallies. In the summer, thousands sunbathe, picnic, fly kites and play organized sports. The congressional softball league fields 200 teams.

The Mall's role in pilgrimage and play has taken a toll on:

Joelle Greene, 40, visiting from Upland, Calif., called the Mall's 10-year backlog of repairs "unacceptable."

So did her friend, George Searcy, 54: "What would our houses look like if we constantly deferred maintenance?" Nodding toward the Mall, he said, "The whole thing is such an incredible project. It probably deserves whatever it takes to maintain it."

The above is from the link. So much for patriotism and knowing your countries landmarks!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:26 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
Are you saying Obama paid the airfare (via Air Force One) to Chicago?
Question was over the President "taking his wife out" on the taxpayer's dime. I don't think Air Force One drove them over to Table Fifty-Two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
BTW, why did you put (or she)???
Because the established rules for what a President pays for and doesn't apply to every holder of the office. Are you suggesting that no woman can ever hold the office of President?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:05 PM

425 posts, read 665,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Question was over the President "taking his wife out" on the taxpayer's dime. I don't think Air Force One drove them over to Table Fifty-Two.

Because the established rules for what a President pays for and doesn't apply to every holder of the office. Are you suggesting that no woman can ever hold the office of President?

The OP started this thread about the enormous costs of flying Air Force One

I would never suggest a woman could not be POTUS - I just found it weird that you cited it in the future tense when talking about the past and present...

Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Do you folks realize who pays for state dinners?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post

I guess The President should fly coach on spirit or something. LOL..This thread is so pathetic.
Or maybe caught the greyhound

Gee, why is that when someone points out that no one ever got upset or did the calculations behind any of the others presidents spending of taxpayers dollars another person quickly retorts "we're not talking about them, we're talking about Obama"

So....since the argument all along has been that there's nothing special about Obama except for his skin color why is everyone more concerned about his daily coming and goings in comparison to the previous presidents?

Oh I forgot, because Obama is the president NOW and according to CNN the world is coming to an end because of the how effectively the last POTUS managed the taxpayers dollars. Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:27 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Oh I forgot, because Obama is the president NOW and according to CNN the world is coming to an end because of the how effectively the last POTUS managed the taxpayers dollars. Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.
If CNN says so, then it must be true.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:32 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,369,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Obama's people said Obama gave Michelle a cake for Valentines day that cost $40. Isn't that quaint? I guess to show how down to earth they are.

He must have forgotten their trip to Chicago to go to Michelle's favorite place to eat.

With all of the fear mongering going on these days about the dire shape of the economy, and Obama is on the TV everday, sometimes 2 X a day and traveling all around to try and sell the country on the stimulus plan I wondered how much it costs us every time the he goes some where.

Well I found this link to a 10 page report from the Government on how much it costs to operate air force one per hour. This report came out in 2006 and is based on numbers from the year 2000 adjusted for inflation. Would you believe almost $57,000 dollars per hour. So 2 hr flight to Chicago and 2 hrs back comes with a price tag of $228,000.00 just for the flight.

So my point is why won't he just stay home and save the tax payers some money if we are in such dire straits? Can any body remember Obama saying at his news conference a couple days ago thanks for giving me a reason to use air force one. It was just last weekend he flew the family and the kids friends off to Camp David. I mean come on first of all it was only about a 30 minute flight, so he could of gotten there another way. That weekend trip was only $57,000.00 .Then you have to factor in the cost of security detail and everything else.

He hasn't even been president for a month and he has already went to Camp David for the weekend, then the next weekend he had date night out and this weekend they jetted off to Chicago for Michelle's food and a 2 day get away.

He's telling us to cut back and he is frolicking around. I think he needs to stay home. I can just imagine what they would say if Bush was frolicking around during times like we are going through.

Click here for link to report

You're right! George Bush never visited his home in Crawford Texas when he was President. Where does Obama get off thinking he and his family have a right to visit their home on Chicago? What kind of madman have we elected? Doesn't he know Presidents never, ever visit their homes in Air Force One? Who does he think he is anyway?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,066,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
You're right! George Bush never visited his home in Crawford Texas when he was President. Where does Obama get off thinking he and his family have a right to visit their home on Chicago? What kind of madman have we elected? Doesn't he know Presidents never, ever visit their homes in Air Force One? Who does he think he is anyway?
I don't recall Bush standing up and acting holier-than-thou about CEO's salaries only 2 weeks prior to jetting home to Crawford so he and the missus could have a nice dinner. Nope...it was Pelosi's Sock Puppet doing the dog and pony show over unnecessary spending by the elite. But I guess that it's allowed if it's a democrat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And it cost a whole of a hell a lot less than Bush's little wars based solely on Bush's lies.

Name one lie that we got into a war over.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:02 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
And that is basically the idea behind this silly thread--'trivial' use of AF1, or, according to the wingnuts, ONLY the supposed triviality behind Obama's use.

Again, here is a list of W's flights to Texas in just his first year in office:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7486127-post70.html

Pretty sure Pres. Obama will be scrutinized by the Right during his tenure...but let's compare notes in a year, mmkay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies