Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 05:45 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
highdesertmutz,

"well, doesn't it go hand in hand?"

that's what i'm asking you.

"which god do you believe in?"

how many do you think there are?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post7779413
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 05:54 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior
First, the idea of everyone being religious has nothing to do with the issue. The issue is what does the US Constitution say. Th 1st Amendment states that CONgress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ... This does not mean that government can have nothing to do with religion.
The tricky part is in the word "law." Everything the government does in an official capacity is a matter of law. In other words, if a Ten Commandments display is allowed to remain, it then becomes a matter of law that such displays are legal. That's what the court determines: legality/illegality. As such a display shows preference to one religion, it falls under the establishment clause.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:37 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
You state that "there is no God" and then ask "which god I believe in."

Are you familiar with the law of non-contradiction?

Old 03-07-2009, 07:42 PM

nvxplorer,

"In other words, if a Ten Commandments display is allowed to remain, it then becomes a matter of law that such displays are legal. That's what the court determines: legality/illegality. As such a display shows preference to one religion, it falls under the establishment clause."

Wouldn't legislating away the display of the Ten Commandments be tantamount to the establishment of the religion of secularism?

Old 03-07-2009, 07:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
If you check out my thread in "religion and Philosophy" you will see that I have demonstrated the following:

All world views require faith and also contain many of the tenets of the BASIC definition of religion. Therefore, it can be reasonably asserted that we are all, to a degree, religious in our various world views.

Next question:

If we are all religious, how is it possible to have a separation of church and state?
There cannot be a separation of GOD and STATE because God is omnipresent in all affairs of man. But there is- and should be a WALL of separation between CHURCH and STATE. Church and God are NOT one in the same. I believe in the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. I trust Him as my Lord with all my heart and soul. I however DETEST organized religion which turns FAITH in our Lord and Saviour into a CULT like thing where people actually have FAITH in man (usually their preacher) as opposed to the Lord and Saviour. I do not want a CULT running my schools, courts or any other branch of government. I do however welcome people of faith.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
nvxplorer,

"In other words, if a Ten Commandments display is allowed to remain, it then becomes a matter of law that such displays are legal. That's what the court determines: legality/illegality. As such a display shows preference to one religion, it falls under the establishment clause."

Wouldn't legislating away the display of the Ten Commandments be tantamount to the establishment of the religion of secularism?
Secularism is not a religion. It is the presence of ALL religions, domination by NO religion. If you look in the yellow pages under "Churches" you will not find "Churches- Secular" in there. The closest thing is a non denominational church.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:47 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
nvxplorer,

Secularism is not a religion.

The protection of certain threatened species of small amphibians does look like sponsorship of the religion of Geico, however. We need to look into that.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There cannot be a separation of GOD and STATE because God is omnipresent in all affairs of man. But there is- and should be a WALL of separation between CHURCH and STATE. Church and God are NOT one in the same. I believe in the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. I trust Him as my Lord with all my heart and soul. I however DETEST organized religion which turns FAITH in our Lord and Saviour into a CULT like thing where people actually have FAITH in man (usually their preacher) as opposed to the Lord and Saviour. I do not want a CULT running my schools, courts or any other branch of government. I do however welcome people of faith.

Do you believe in the inerrancy of sacred scripture?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Do you believe in the inerrancy of sacred scripture?
The Bible was written by men and nothing done by man is perfect. My feeling is that generally the Bible can be looked at as a book of LAW (the Old Testament) and a book of GRACE (the New Testament). They are pretty much exclusive- either you live under LAW or you live under GRACE. But many religions pick the PARTS of the LAW they think we should live under and toss the rest aside and replace that with GRACE. To me, if you want to live under LAW, you should obey ALL the LAW and not just what you think. That means church is on Saturday and no pork or shellfish to name a few. I prefer to live under GRACE which is what I have been promised by the Lord Jesus Christ.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:02 PM

nvxplorer,

"Secularism is not a religion."

In terms of approaches towards formulating a world view, how would you differentiate between the religious and secular?

Each one uses faith and hopefully, reason/logic to weigh the evidence and make a decision. Each one has their own view of morality and values. Why would the secular minded person rate preferential treatment in the public square?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies