Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:51 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,646,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
The Equal Time Amendment would help to prevent corporations from buying off our politicians and influencing the media they own to sway public opinion in order to line their pockets, like the non-existent 'clean' coal industry tries to do - like TBone Pickens was attempting.
Oh now that is a load of crap. If you were really worried about our politicians being 'bought', talk radio is not the problem. Lobbying however is the problem. The day Pelosi is concerned about the effects of unfettered lobbyists and cushy 'think tank' positions promised to politicians (or their children) is the day I believe that the fairness doctrine is more then being about payback to talk radio for being a thorn in democrats sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 06:53 PM

492 posts, read 962,592 times
The "Fairness Doctrine" is OK - if it is applied to ALL media
Quote:
I would support a "Fairness Doctrine"... as long as it is applied to ALL media: TV, Newspapers, movies, etc., as well as talk radio.
I think it's be amusing to see church services on MTV

Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,635,179 times
The problem is with the appointment to the 3 person board that regulates the airwaves, if 2 vote to go the way of the fairness doctrine then thats the way it will be implemented. Without ever going to the whitehouse except for the persons that are appointed by the president. That way Barry is not involved in the actual process.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:46 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,982,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Oh now that is a load of crap. If you were really worried about our politicians being 'bought', talk radio is not the problem. Lobbying however is the problem. The day Pelosi is concerned about the effects of unfettered lobbyists and cushy 'think tank' positions promised to politicians (or their children) is the day I believe that the fairness doctrine is more then being about payback to talk radio for being a thorn in democrats sides.
Look, it is your guys on this forum who are saying that they want equal time in all media. I am just agreeing with them.
I certainly believe that Hannity and Rush are way more lopsided than MSNBC, but neither are saints.

WABC has been left, due to the now departed Phil Boyce, with nothing but right wing nutnicks. That will change, because people really do need to know both sides of an issue to make educated determinations.

The way things are now, a person has to spend a huge part of the day trying to be well informed. At least a pretext of equality could throw some stimulating ideas into the old, stale, boring, predictable, Hannity mix.

I don't see equality as payback. I see a fair representation of all sides of an issue as an ideal of a democratic society so that the public can make good judgements.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
The "Fairness Doctrine" is OK - if it is applied to ALL media

I think it's be amusing to see church services on MTV
Yes, and the Wiccans on the Catholic channel?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,646,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Look, it is your guys on this forum who are saying that they want equal time in all media. I am just agreeing with them.
I certainly believe that Hannity and Rush are way more lopsided than MSNBC, but neither are saints.

WABC has been left, due to the now departed Phil Boyce, with nothing but right wing nutnicks. That will change, because people really do need to know both sides of an issue to make educated determinations.

The way things are now, a person has to spend a huge part of the day trying to be well informed. At least a pretext of equality could throw some stimulating ideas into the old, stale, boring, predictable, Hannity mix.

I don't see equality as payback. I see a fair representation of all sides of an issue as an ideal of a democratic society so that the public can make good judgements.

Your premise then, is flawed. Most people (if not all people) who listen to talk radio are not getting their news only from Limbaugh, Hannity et al but from a variety of sources. The difference is that talk radio gives a person the ability to make their opinion known via calling in, and yes - talk radio does reflect a conservative thought process. But it is first and foremost entertainment, and those that listen to it understand that.

Now, I do not listen to talk radio but my parents do. They subscribe to the local paper, the NYTs, and are avid watchers of C-SPAN as well as FOX. I would consider them very well versed in politics, and certainly they are getting their information from a variety of sources. And they are not unique in this, and frankly I find it disengenious of liberals to propagate a myth that talk radio listeners are somehow less intelligent and more likely to be brainwashed then the average NPR listener. Absurd!

This is all about payback, going back to Paula Jones and Monica Lewinski and more recently Rev Wright. Talk radio does have a way of digging up things democratic presidencies would rather keep hidden --- and yet we are to believe that the fairness doctrine is a benign piece of legislation? Even Camille Paglia sees what a load that is --- and is rightly fearing the path that such censorship might take.

Lets call it for it is -- censorship.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM

989 posts, read 2,499,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I would support a "Fairness Doctrine"... as long as it is applied to ALL media: TV, Newspapers, movies, etc., as well as talk radio.
How about just respecting the First Amendment the way it is?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:57 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,770,032 times
This is all about payback, going back to Paula Jones and Monica Lewinski and more recently Rev Wright. Talk radio does have a way of digging up things democratic presidencies would rather keep hidden --- and yet we are to believe that the fairness doctrine is a benign piece of legislation? Even Camille Paglia sees what a load that is --- and is rightly fearing the path that such censorship might take.

Lets call it for it is -- censorship.[/quote]

You are 100% Correct,Talkradio many times is the first to break news..
And report stories that would be ignored by the MSM.
The people in Washington are angry at their dirt being exposed and..
Outraged at an alternative viewpoint being put out there.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Your premise then, is flawed. Most people (if not all people) who listen to talk radio are not getting their news only from Limbaugh, Hannity et al but from a variety of sources. The difference is that talk radio gives a person the ability to make their opinion known via calling in, and yes - talk radio does reflect a conservative thought process. But it is first and foremost entertainment, and those that listen to it understand that.

Now, I do not listen to talk radio but my parents do. They subscribe to the local paper, the NYTs, and are avid watchers of C-SPAN as well as FOX. I would consider them very well versed in politics, and certainly they are getting their information from a variety of sources. And they are not unique in this, and frankly I find it disengenious of liberals to propagate a myth that talk radio listeners are somehow less intelligent and more likely to be brainwashed then the average NPR listener. Absurd!

Nope.
Most people do not have the time that your parents do.
There are many people whose only news is what they hear on the radio while driving to and from work.
Is it entertaining? Sure. That's what keeps them tuned in so that the propaganda can be spoon fed to them.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post

You are 100% Correct,Talkradio many times is the first to break news..
And report stories that would be ignored by the MSM.
The people in Washington are angry at their dirt being exposed and..
Outraged at an alternative viewpoint being put out there.[/quote]
Silly.
If the media had been fair at the time, Bush might not have been elected the first term, and certainly not for the second.
People did not know that he, through various means, avoided active duty in the military, that he crashed all those planes, that he was a cokehead and alcoholic (probably with brain damage).
People would not know that he graduated with a 'C' which would have been an 'F' in another school, but the 'C' was then the lowest grade and nobody admitted then was ever flunked out.
People would have heard that interview with his teacher which showed him as not only dumb and unthoughtful, but unfeeling as well - probably a sociopath.

You want another issue?
I have a friend who listens/watches Hannity a lot. She did not know Terry Schievo had half her brain missing. She was shocked. Naturally, her opinion changed upon hearing that.

She listens Hannity because she can unwind after a hard and stressful day with the spoon fed pablum of the right.

Yes, people who are the audience of such shows are not very bright, or they are choosing to disengage their brains when they turn the dial to such pablum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies