Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:01 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,497,759 times

Advertisements

I think one fundamental problem with the flag is that it is seen by many people as the "official flag of slavery."

Of course, the fact that slavery occured under the American flag doesn't seem to register with these people. I also don't see anyone getting upset over the Spanish, French, Dutch, and British flags.

For a variety of reasons that I don't fully understand, academia and media have always made an effort to portray southern whites as the sole cause of slavery in North America; and so any symbol of the confederacy is equated to a symbol of slavery.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:01 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,927,799 times
shadow, if you read what I said, i didnt say you wanted to ban it either. reread, and stop taking it so personal and relax, if you dont like the flag dont buy one and dont fly it.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 AM

anonymous, please read Irish History. The Scots who were run out of scotland by the english, settled in Ulster Northern Ireland. They were different than the Irish of the Irish Republic in that they were Presbyterian Protestants while most Irish are Catholic.

The Ulster Irish came to the US before the American revolution and settled in places like the cumberland region of the applachians, in western carolinas, Tennessee valley and they make up the largest population of White Europeans in the South today. People Like President Andrew Jackson are called originally Ulster Irish, but after the Irish Potato faminine of the 1840s when up to 2 million catholic Irish were coming to the US, the Ulster Irish wanted to distinquish themselves from the Catholic Irish and begain calling themselves "Scots-Irish". Look it up in a dictionary and history book

Old 03-19-2007, 11:18 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
shadow, if you read what I said, i didnt say you wanted to ban it either. reread, and stop taking it so personal and relax, if you dont like the flag dont buy one and dont fly it.
You completely missed what I said, but it has become obvious alarmingly fast that discussing anything with you is pointless. I love the ignore feature on this forum!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:29 AM

well then ignore it, if you dont like to hear another persons position, by all means ignore away.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:20 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,814,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
That's not entirely accurate.
Not all black people were slaves in the south before the war. There were even some black people wealthy enough to own slaves themselves. Most black people were probably slaves, and I believe a lot of the slaves were mistreated, but some weren't.
They had a large population of free blacks too . About 33% of black southerners were not slaves.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:21 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
anonymous, please read Irish History. The Scots who were run out of scotland by the english, settled in Ulster Northern Ireland. They were different than the Irish of the Irish Republic in that they were Presbyterian Protestants while most Irish are Catholic.

The Ulster Irish came to the US before the American revolution and settled in places like the cumberland region of the applachians, in western carolinas, Tennessee valley and they make up the largest population of White Europeans in the South today. People Like President Andrew Jackson are called originally Ulster Irish, but after the Irish Potato faminine of the 1840s when up to 2 million catholic Irish were coming to the US, the Ulster Irish wanted to distinquish themselves from the Catholic Irish and begain calling themselves "Scots-Irish". Look it up in a dictionary and history book
I see what you're saying. I know these people as the Ulster Protestants from northern Ireland. I always thought that the term Scotch-Irish was a strictly american term that referred to people of either scottish or irish descent.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:37 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,814,331 times
A very nice black lady in Petersburg, Virginia informed me that the Confederate Flag is simply the Cross of St. Andrew. And yes, its from Scotland.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 PM

yes it was used as the battle flag not the confederate flag. the flag of the confederacy that was equal to Old Glory, is a totally different looking flag. The regiments fought under so many different battle flags

Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,506,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
What's wrong with the Confederate Flag?

Nothing at all.

People should research the background and history of the Southern flags before they go spouting off personal bias's due to the reconstruction's indoctrination.
It is my flag of choice.

Last edited by junkman18; 09-03-2007 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies