Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 10:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times

Advertisements

I will defend the right to fly the confederate flag in accordance with the rights of free speech affirmed in the First Amendment to the Constitution. I will never salute that flag as is also affirmed in that Amendment.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:59 PM

42 posts, read 147,147 times
Question: Shouldn't if any of the anger over the Confederate flag be with the official 3 flags of the Confederate government and not the Battle Flag which was used in battle? Or is it the fact that certian groups have hijacked the battle flag and have wrongfully determined it's meaning?

I do not think those poor soilders were fighting so that rich plantation owners could keep their slaves.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9989 View Post
I do not think those poor soilders were fighting so that rich plantation owners could keep their slaves.
Ironic since today poor plumbers fight for rich people to keep their money.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Ironic since today poor plumbers fight for rich people to keep their money.
Im not sure I understand the correlation to the topic here but I don't feel I'm fighting for any rich people to keep their money. I fact I frequently TAKE their money and happy to do so. Rich peoples plumbing breaks to and they build big houses that they want custom plumbing and expensive heating systems put in. Just so happens I can help with that. And I don't have to march out in a close line into a couple thousand .68 caliber Springfield rifle muskets to liberate that opressed money.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:50 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LMAO...There were a lot of innocent people that experienced Northern "leniancy" at the hands of WT Sherman that would disagree. Is this a statement supporting the brutalization of a nations OWN people at the hands of a central government? I'm assuming that the "picking a fight you CAN win line is a typo? At any rate history is written by the winners of conflicts. But true history isn't always found in textbooks. I'll continue to fly my Confederate banners whenever I choose to do so for whatever reasons I deem fit. Doesn't mean that I won't fight under the Stars and Stripes but I have a soft spot for the Lost Cause to. If we had lost the Revolution would you feel as equally contemptuous of Ol' Glory and as supportive of Britain as a soveriegn? Or, would you maybe harbor some sympathy for that hypothetical "Lost Cause". History can be a hard mistress to placate. Maybe one day the Union will be able take it that extra step that you seem so anxious to see. In time you may find that having is often not nearly so pleasant a thing as wanting.
Sherman was way too lenient. He only razed towns where the population resisted Northern rule.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Actually, the biggest difference is that you presume to know what motivates others. It is fine you know a lot about the South from these "sources" of yours, and that you claim to have some first-hand experience of some nature. However, countless others have the same experiences and you are seriously deluded if you feel morally superior because they don't happen to share your own outlook and opinions.
Wonderful when 6-7 generations is just "experience of some nature."

Quote:
Who amongst us is defending or glorifying slavery? Duh. Apparently, the only way you can make your case is to suggest those who don't take the same view of the War or the Confederate Flag as you do must be glorifying slavery. Not that I am surprised, however, if you can't make a case any other way.
If you are defending "southern heritage" that's slavery.

Quote:
And you suppose you are the only person who ever had a conversation with a black person involved in the Civil Rights movement? LOL Still, this hardly gives anyone credentials to speak on how black people feel about this or that issue. Sounds kinda condecending and paternal, in fact, to presume that all feel the same way (regardless of what the issue is).
No I don't, I just speak based upon what I know and the direct statement of people I know. You seem to presume to speak for all southerns, rather than just white southern apologists.

Quote:
Anybody can say something as this and it may or may not be true. Where do you live? Anyway, I do know that according to polls I have seen in the past, it is black and white Southerners who express the most optomism on race-relations. And Dr. King once said send a white Southerner to Chicago if you want to teach him how to "hate." And that the South today is the least segregated of all regions of the country.
Where do I live, Washington DC in a neighborhood that has been integrated since the late 50s.

Quote:
HAHAHA Ah yes, the old lame, broken record 3/5th thing. (by the way, bub, I'll match my personal relationships with black people and my contributions to decent race relations with yours any day of the week. I just don't go around tooting my own horn). Regardless, I asked where, specifically, and on a comparable scale? Was it in the Northeast? The Midwest? The West? In Africa? Where? Not saying anything was great anywhere (just like for a lot of groups...and I wouldn't even bring it up if it weren't your characterization of the South as being some horrid netherworld, as compared to elsewhere). Just to identify the saints before you self-righteously condemn the sinners
Other than doing so right now?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9989 View Post
Question: Shouldn't if any of the anger over the Confederate flag be with the official 3 flags of the Confederate government and not the Battle Flag which was used in battle? Or is it the fact that certian groups have hijacked the battle flag and have wrongfully determined it's meaning?

They were conscripts and hung if they did not serve.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I will defend the right to fly the confederate flag in accordance with the rights of free speech affirmed in the First Amendment to the Constitution. I will never salute that flag as is also affirmed in that Amendment.
You have the right to do that. Others have the right to label such behavior as racist.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:36 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Wonderful when 6-7 generations is just "experience of some nature."
Once again, you miss or ignore the main point, which is that you are hardly alone in having said experiences (or those you claim to have had). Others have had the same and the fact they may take a different viewpoint on certain issues does not qualify you as a morally superior individual.

Quote:
If you are defending "southern heritage" that's slavery.
Hmmmmm. So by this logic (if one could call it that), if one defends "northern" heritage, would such likewise be tantamount to defending slavery and the slave trade (which was a solely northern commodity)? Or laws forbidding black residency...which was on the books in some midwestern states? Slavery in the North

If one defends the Lincoln administration, would such amount to advocating sending blacks back to Africa? (which he favored)?

The whole notion -- whether concerning Southern or northern history -- is abbreviated in logic, sophomoric in its understand of history, and just plain silly.

Quote:
No I don't, I just speak based upon what I know and the direct statement of people I know. You seem to presume to speak for all southerns, rather than just white southern apologists.
All anyone has to do is read the exchanges to see who is presuming to speak for whom.

Quote:
Other than doing so right now?
If you think so, you really do have delusions of grandeur.

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-30-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Sherman was way too lenient. He only razed towns where the population resisted Northern rule.
I live in rural New Jersey where some folks like to be "pretend" Southerners, flying their rebel flags despite having no hint of Southern ancestry whatsoever. It's a free country and I suppose they are free to pledge allegiance to a hostile nation who pledged destruction to the single greatest nation ever conceived on God's green earth, however, I reserve the right to proudly display a portrait of General Sherman (Which is also my nickname for my truck-a Ford Powerstroke Diesel which will press on through anything I steer it towards) in my office, so its all even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies