Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 06:08 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times

Advertisements

You mean, besides it being a symbol of everything America isn't?

Treason
Racism
Separatism

No one alive today had any contact with the Confederacy. No one alive today enjoys any rights or priveleges as a result of the Confederacy's actions in its brief, hateful existence. Those who loudly declare that the Confederacy is somehow their heritage are oftentimes saying out of the other side of their mouths that they're "patriots."

Bull puckey.

Time for the hardcore hold-outs to rejoin the rest of the country. The Civil War ended before your great grandpas were born.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:13 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
I think that they are fine if you like to identify with treasonous losers.

The Stars and Bars are right down there with the flags of Imperial Japan, the Thrid Reich, the Baath Party, the Khmer Rouge, and... well you get the picture.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:36 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,928,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I think that they are fine if you like to identify with treasonous losers.

The Stars and Bars are right down there with the flags of Imperial Japan, the Thrid Reich, the Baath Party, the Khmer Rouge, and... well you get the picture.

LOLOLOLOL I love how people throw words around and seem to not understand the true meaning of them. The Confederacy was not treasonous at all. In fact, since they seceeded they were not part of the country, the United States of America, and because of that, the civil war was not a true civil war in the technical sense.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Time for the hardcore hold-outs to rejoin the rest of the country. The Civil War ended before your great grandpas were born.

There is a difference a perspective between the winners and the losers of any war. Winners celebrate their victory, they tell and re-tell their version of events, each time their part in those events becoming a little rosier, a little more "white-knightish". Losers don't celebrate the victory, they dwell on the mistakes made, the what-may-have-beens. They tell and re-tell their versions to a dwindling audience. For them, the war isn't over, it's shifted to a battle over the "truth" of the events of the War. The Civil War isn't happening on battlefields today with muskets and rifles and swords and rocks, but it's not "over", either. It's being fought in forums like this, where people argue over the causes of the war, and whether Lincoln was a great man or a scoundrel, it's fought in discussions over the institution of slavery, and what the average Southerner thought about slavery, and it's being fought over the "facts" of the history of Reconstruction, and the "facts" of the debilitating poverty the South experiences for a hundred years after the Civil War, when the South before the Civil War had a strong and growing economy. It's being fought over the meaning of the Confederate flag, and whether some Americans should just give up on what they consider to be their cultural heritage to other Americans who are offended by a part of that cultural heritage. For the people who have lost, wars are never over, not as long as they are remembered, not as long as the fallen are honored, not as long as some of the issues are still relevant.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:44 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,928,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There is a difference a perspective between the winners and the losers of any war. Winners celebrate their victory, they tell and re-tell their version of events, each time their part in those events becoming a little rosier, a little more "white-knightish". Losers don't celebrate the victory, they dwell on the mistakes made, the what-may-have-beens. They tell and re-tell their versions to a dwindling audience. For them, the war isn't over, it's shifted to a battle over the "truth" of the events of the War. The Civil War isn't happening on battlefields today with muskets and rifles and swords and rocks, but it's not "over", either. It's being fought in forums like this, where people argue over the causes of the war, and whether Lincoln was a great man or a scoundrel, it's fought in discussions over the institution of slavery, and what the average Southerner thought about slavery, and it's being fought over the "facts" of the history of Reconstruction, and the "facts" of the debilitating poverty the South experiences for a hundred years after the Civil War, when the South before the Civil War had a strong and growing economy. It's being fought over the meaning of the Confederate flag, and whether some Americans should just give up on what they consider to be their cultural heritage to other Americans who are offended by a part of that cultural heritage. For the people who have lost, wars are never over, not as long as they are remembered, not as long as the fallen are honored, not as long as some of the issues are still relevant.
Very well stated and thank you for some honesty about this.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,221,364 times
Not being a southerner, I have no particularly strong feelings about the Confederate Flag.

However, I live in a black neighborhood - and my neighbors are fantastic - so why in the world would I want to run the risk of offending them by touting a Confederate Flag?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's being fought over the meaning of the Confederate flag, and whether some Americans should just give up on what they consider to be their cultural heritage to other Americans who are offended by a part of that cultural heritage. For the people who have lost, wars are never over, not as long as they are remembered, not as long as the fallen are honored, not as long as some of the issues are still relevant.
The United States has been involved in numerous wars over the years. My family has been in South Carolina since 1741 and fielded soldiers in every war fought by this country, including a captain in the Civil War who served with distinction in the 6th S.C. Regiment and was wounded near Richmond.

Why is the Confederate flag the only one so honored if people really care about hteir "heritage"?

Growing up and living in S.C. and having had a grandfather who was an active Klan member has taught me a great deal about "heritage". I am an American, and flying the Stars and Bars is the way to honor that heritage, not the Confederate flag.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:20 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,202,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The Mexican flag is a symbol of a country that still exists.
Meaning what?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:38 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,872,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
LOLOLOLOL I love how people throw words around and seem to not understand the true meaning of them. The Confederacy was not treasonous at all. In fact, since they seceeded they were not part of the country, the United States of America, and because of that, the civil war was not a true civil war in the technical sense.
They were part of the US and then they left without going through any channels and then attacked the Union. Sounds like treason to me. The South didn't take a vote to Congress and didn't try to settle it in the courts; they just grabbed the ball and ran home when they thought they might not get their way.

And many civil wars involve a part of a country that declares itself independent from the rest.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The United States has been involved in numerous wars over the years. My family has been in South Carolina since 1741 and fielded soldiers in every war fought by this country, including a captain in the Civil War who served with distinction in the 6th S.C. Regiment and was wounded near Richmond.

Why is the Confederate flag the only one so honored if people really care about hteir "heritage"?

Growing up and living in S.C. and having had a grandfather who was an active Klan member has taught me a great deal about "heritage". I am an American, and flying the Stars and Bars is the way to honor that heritage, not the Confederate flag.
The Confederate flag isn't the only flag so honored, is it? The American flag that waves in front of every school and courthouse, that is flown and displayed in courtrooms and at legislatures, at political offices and from people's homes is being honored every day as part of our heritage. The Confederate flag or flags are a part of the heritage of this country, too, like the flags of the Marine Corps or the U S Navy that I see as well. It's just that the Confederate flag is not a victorious flag, it's the flag that fell in battle, the one that was replaced by the flag of surrender. So it's the symbol for many of what was bad of those times. I understand that the injustice and horrors of slavery is what some people think that the Civil War is about, and that the Confederate flag is a symbol of that tragic part of American history. I think, though, that there should be room in the American psyche for the idea that slavery was not the sole issue, or even a primary issue for all that fought and died in that war, that there are different historic perspectives. The Confederate flag could be a symbol of the tolerance Americans have for those different perspectives and cultural disparities. If we can't be tolerant and respectful of those who have different viewpoints, what do all our freedoms mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies