Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 10:22 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,304,594 times

Advertisements

Why shouldn't people - Americans, be responsible for paying for their own day to day healthcare? Why can't they pay that office visit of $50.00 (there now are clinics sprouthing up all over the country offering OV for less than $50). Why do some believe they should not even have to pay a "co-pay"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,868,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Again, no one, NO ONE is denied health care in this country for lack of financial resources. That is a fact.

The other FACT is, there are some, right here on this board, who want the government to assure everyone financial stability - that they won't have to go in debt because of health issues. Why?

Where is it that the government has to take care of everyone "cradle to the grave"? Where is it that one should not go into debt over their health.

While I have a great deal of sympathy for those who go into debt for their health, frankly, that's life. The government is not responsible, nor should be responsible, for everyones financial well being. To use an old saying - "s hit happens" or, "life ain't a bed of roses". Bad things happen. And it is not the governments job to step in and make everything better.

If someone cannot afford their needed health care - there is help already there for them. Yes, they have to apply for it. Yes, they may have to go to doctors they don't know. But, it is there nonetheless.

Locally, Mayo Clinic and Barrows Neurological Institute - two of the finest facilities in the world, are giving world class, life saving care to those who cannot afford it. That's a fact. St. Judes Hospital, the finest childrens hospital in the world (IMO) - takes everyone - regardless of their ability to pay. That's a fact.

Again, you are wrong. Refresh your mind and read one of the links I supplied. Back up your rhetoric with some actual facts please.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,021,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
TM, You are doing an excellent job of pointing out facts of how our country and its citizens would be better off economically with UHS. Too bad that most people who are against it have made up their minds already and will refuse to consider the facts.

they are in denial.... what we have now is working for them right now.. so why change right? HOw quickly their tune would change if their fortunes changed.. or if a loved one was faced with the situations illustrated.

I'd love GD to look a family in the face that has lost a loved one due to lack of insurance and tell them that people aren't dying in this country for lack of it.

We are 41 with the highest mortality rate of infants among industrialized nations..

IT's sad...really really sad.

perhaps this economic meltdown IS a good thing. Many will have their eyes opened REAL WIDE when they hit the situation head on without a helmet!!

I can show numbers of people dying due to lack of insurance and medical care.. Where are the stats from GD on those that HAVE no health insurance but are recieving treatment regardless.. a few handfull here or there at spotty hospitals does not eliminate the issue...

he doesn't get that...

Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why shouldn't people - Americans, be responsible for paying for their own day to day healthcare? Why can't they pay that office visit of $50.00 (there now are clinics sprouthing up all over the country offering OV for less than $50). Why do some believe they should not even have to pay a "co-pay"?

My endo is going to cost me $225 for the visit. .and that's without the lab work I'll need to check kidney function, A1C levels, thyroid, etc.. Oh.. and i had to make that appointment 3 months in advanced. Dr visits do not cost $50.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,868,248 times
Mayo and the others cannot accept everyone. Mayo only accepts application for "charity" care if only Mayo provides that specialized treatment. Not all applications are approved either. Medical institutions have something called, "The Bottom Line."

The argument that the country cannot afford to pay for it but an individual entity, such as a medical center, could has no logic.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Here is another link. I have to read it but it analyzes different plans being discussed and the goal of covering everyone;

Economic & Social Research Institute: PAGE_TITLE

https://www.healthcareforallohio.org...ch_Studies.pdf

http://www.calnurses.org/research/pd...study_2009.pdf

Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,344,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
This is a staggering statistic. The health care crisis in this country is a major national embarrassment - and I am glad that we finally have a president who is going to take on the tough problems - instead of leave them for his successors...

Americans aged 19 - 29 are the largest uninsured group in the country.

Many of them have jobs - but either do not have employer provided health insurance, or cannot afford it, or are not yet eligible for it because they haven't worked in their job for at least a year.

We desperately need National Health Care!!!

Go Obama!!!

The plight of young, uninsured Americans - CNN.com
Indeed-

Tell me again exactly what law or barrier exists stopping these people from getting their own health coverage?

There isn't one. So there you go.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Indeed-

Tell me again exactly what law or barrier exists stopping these people from getting their own health coverage?

I suggest you read the entire thread.. as the answer to your post has been posted several times throughout...

Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,249,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Indeed-

For a great many, it is not considered a priority like food and shelter unless it's subject of a thread like this one.
Then it becomes so important the government should provide it.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
For a great many, it is not considered a priority like food and shelter unless it's subject of a thread like this one.
Then it becomes so important the government should provide it.
Read the thread before you post such nonsense.

Show me proof of the fact that most young people do not have insurance for the reasons you stated.. WHAT.. oh there isn't any huh? That's because it's NONSENSE and just a ridiculous way for you to excuse and dismiss a problem.. perhaps so that you can sleep better at night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies