Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,315,331 times

Advertisements

In America, since 1929, anyway, we have lost the concept of how supply and demand works.

I ask you, why would you pay for something you didn't want or need? What would you pay for something you absolutely had to have to live? What would you pay for the last loaf of bread in town?

I think if anyone would just stop and think..... just truly stop and think, they would really wonder about any governments involvement in the supply and demand cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
In America, since 1929, anyway, we have lost the concept of how supply and demand works.
Oh, please educate us on the concept of supply and demand, with particular emphasis on liquidity traps.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:48 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, please educate us on the concept of supply and demand, with particular emphasis on liquidity traps.
Allow me.

Supply and Demand are supposed to be the same thing.

http://www.rense.com/general79/supdam.htm

Old 03-09-2009, 04:53 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I think if anyone would just stop and think..... just truly stop and think, they would really wonder about any governments involvement in the supply and demand cycle.
Here comes another pro-business expert on economy that ignores a few things:
- Who will stop/break monopolies (see Rockefeller Standard Oil monopoly)?
- Who will stop price especulation (i.e. gasoline)
- Who will build the infrastructure for businesses to do business (highways, trains, power lines, dams to supply clean water, etc)
- Who will pay to keep the city clean to help businesses?
- Who will pay for police to provide safety where the business will be located
- Who will back the banks money to allow them to give low interest loans to businesses?
- Who will impose tariffs on slave produced foreign products to protect businesses?
- Who is gonna build schools and colleges to have more educated people for businesses to select from?

If you ignore all of that and a few other things,
Yes, you are right, the government should never get involved in anything related to business.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Allow me.

The Troublesome Truth About Supply And Demand
Oh, the veil has been removed from my eyes...

From your link,

"Supply and demand is a dangerous assault on our country; and this wont make sense until you know what supply and demand REALLY is, and how this monetary fraud is being used to steal our wealth and ultimately weaken the economic fabric of this nation."

Now if that wasn't elucidating enough, the author then goes on to point out;

"If I trade my apple for your orange, who had the supply and who had the demand?

If I trade my apple for your dime, who had the supply and who had the demand?

If I trade my apple for paper that promises a dime, who had the supply and who had the demand?

If I trade my apple for a piece of paper labeled one dime, who had the supply, and who had the demand?"

Of course in their best Yoda like impression they never seem to find a way to answer any of their self-imposed questions.

Ergohead,

If your personal ability to articulate an answer is so woeful that you have to resort to posting links to with this kind of convoluted and nonsensical arguments, I can see that there is simply no point in pursuing this conversation. I would have better luck deriving an answer from the wall. Which is sort of where you link is coming from (see definition for "off the wall").

Old 03-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Allow me.

The Troublesome Truth About Supply And Demand
Sorry about that.

I wasn't trying to derail a potentially good debate - I just can't leave this idea that, what with Gold being a desired thing like an apple or an orange, that just maybe it should be money since it rarely gets digested beyond its use as a transfer mechanism.

I apologize for that.

Go on as if I never broke the topic into apples and oranges.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:26 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Supply and demand can lead to many consequences in a society. Take a look at Haiti where fresh drinking water is sold at a high cost.

What if a company held rights to drinking water, oxygen, or any other necessity of human survival. The demand would be very high giving that company immense power!.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"If I trade my apple for your orange, who had the supply and who had the demand?
Now, take a toke, sit back, and think about it.

Or, go to your corner!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:58 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,315,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Here comes another pro-business expert on economy that ignores a few things:
- Who will stop/break monopolies (see Rockefeller Standard Oil monopoly)? While a good point, do you think that America of the 1880's could survive without oil? Of course, it could. 95% of our energy came from coal. Electricity was not even on the street hardly. In a free economy, a monopoly is its on worst enemy. The current administration with its support of the UAW wants an effective monopoly amongst the Big 3 auto companies. Government gone wrong.
- Who will stop price especulation (i.e. gasoline) The "recession did. The government actually drove the upward spiral by failing allow drilling of the available sources. Government gone wrong.
- Who will build the infrastructure for businesses to do business (highways, trains, power lines, dams to supply clean water, etc) The Ohio Turnpike (I-80) was built by private business.
- Who will pay to keep the city clean to help businesses? Right now, most shopping is done in centers where the merchants pay common area maintainance fees to clean & push snow off the parking lots.
- Who will pay for police to provide safety where the business will be located Part of our national constitution. A good tax funded reason for our governments.
- Who will back the banks money to allow them to give low interest loans to businesses? Another good idea for government involvement (prior to Andrew Jackson, there was not a centralized monetary system.
- Who will impose tariffs on slave produced foreign products to protect businesses? You will, because you will buy the American made winter coat although it is three times the price of the import.
- Who is gonna build schools and colleges to have more educated people for businesses to select from? The best schools and colleges are not public schools, now are they?

If you ignore all of that and a few other things,
Yes, you are right, the government should never get involved in anything related to business.
I think you answered my question exactly correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies