Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:28 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,418,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Defeat Neo-Conservatism. End the Brutal Rule of Stupid.
Humm..thoughtful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
I think that you are confusing the actions of the federal reserve bank with that of the stimulus.

If you don't understand something I wrote, please ask me to clarify. I'd be happy to explain what I'm talking about. See we have a problem. No one is able to buy the bonds that correspond to the trillions we are printing at the fed right now. So what the Fed is doing is buying our own government debt. This has predictably caused the USD to fall relative to other currencies. It dropped 4.5% just today because currency traders understand that as we print more money, the value of existing dollars will decrease. So they dump them. Today they bought gold and crude futures. See crude is good because as we devaluate our currency, the price of oil in USD increases because the money is worth less. How do you like your stimulus package so far? Well, everyone knows it's a shell game and the money we are printing is worthless. Inflation comes next so hold on to yer wallet. It's gonna be a really bumpy ride!

"At this point, Bernanke is basically financing the national deficit by buying debt issued by the Treasury. In addition to capping Treasury yields, expanding the Fed’s balance sheet and printing more money to accommodate these purchases has sharply undermined the value of the dollar."

Fed's $1 Trillion Debt-Buying Plan Loosens Lending and Drains the Dollar

BBC NEWS | Business | Dollar slides after US Fed plan

Old 03-22-2009, 03:22 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,832,235 times
You started a thread about the stimulus. That money is government spending. The fed is not part of the government. It is a private institute. They are the ones printing trillions. Like I said, we should be against the fact that a private institute is capable of ruining our money. Neither parties stand up against the fed. Why are you insisting that spending from the fed is coming from the white house?

Were you upset in 2003 when the DoD (a federal agency) lost 2.3 trillion? Are you upset that Palin is going to accept the greatest per capita earmarks in the omnibus budget?

Old 03-22-2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:
I dont use sources like wikipedia, blogs or editorials. I use primary sources when possible and the taxpayer foundation is the best sources in this area. When they update their data to reflect the time that Palin was in office I will share it. If you have more up to date info please share it.

I have to ask though since Alaska has been a state now for 50 years and have been suckling the lower 48 the whole time (with the possible exception of 2 years now) will they begin to pay us back the full amount they've taken?
That's a question you'll need to ask Alaskans. Looks like they are helping out right now by declining part of the money they were offered. Sure would hate to see them stop sharing all those natural resources they help us out with though. That Alaskan crude oil and natural gas comes in awful handy. Anyways, I thought Governor Palin handled the issue from an Alaskan's point of view extremely well. You know she is still one of the most popular Governors. I'd love to have a really good governor like her because right now mine is Granholm. That is just so screwed up.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:53 AM

Alaska, like Michigan, can elect any representative that they please. That is their choice. I will not vote for Palin or Granholm for a federal position. Neither represents what I want a federal official to represent. Both are poll driven. In Palins case during her run for VP she gave a speech outlining her support of federal funding for special needs children. Now she is turning down stimulus money for education that could be used to do such in her home state. Could she instead use the 160 million to build infrastructure that would help such students without any continued state costs?

Take a look at how well the oil and natural gas companies are responding to Palins policies. The pipeline is being held up due to her politics. She has put windfall taxes onto the primary source of revenue in Alaska. What happens if the oil and natural gas companies decide that the political climate in Alaska makes it too expensive to continue business there relative to other regions? Will her gamble pay off?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Alaska, like Michigan, can elect any representative that they please. That is their choice. I will not vote for Palin or Granholm for a federal position. Neither represents what I want a federal official to represent. Both are poll driven. In Palins case during her run for VP she gave a speech outlining her support of federal funding for special needs children. Now she is turning down stimulus money for education that could be used to do such in her home state. Could she instead use the 160 million to build infrastructure that would help such students without any continued state costs?

Take a look at how well the oil and natural gas companies are responding to Palins policies. The pipeline is being held up due to her politics. She has put windfall taxes onto the primary source of revenue in Alaska. What happens if the oil and natural gas companies decide that the political climate in Alaska makes it too expensive to continue business there relative to other regions? Will her gamble pay off?

I might be able to answer your questions more accurately if you were to provide me with links and/or quotes.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
You started a thread about the stimulus. That money is government spending. The fed is not part of the government. It is a private institute. They are the ones printing trillions. Like I said, we should be against the fact that a private institute is capable of ruining our money. Neither parties stand up against the fed. Why are you insisting that spending from the fed is coming from the white house?

Were you upset in 2003 when the DoD (a federal agency) lost 2.3 trillion? Are you upset that Palin is going to accept the greatest per capita earmarks in the omnibus budget?
You missed this one that I posted earlier. The Mods will forgive me for double posting.

If you don't understand something I wrote, please ask me to clarify. I'd be happy to explain what I'm talking about. See we have a problem. No one is able to buy the bonds that correspond to the trillions we are printing at the fed right now. So what the Fed is doing is buying our own government debt. This has predictably caused the USD to fall relative to other currencies. It dropped 4.5% just today because currency traders understand that as we print more money, the value of existing dollars will decrease. So they dump them. Today they bought gold and crude futures. See crude is good because as we devaluate our currency, the price of oil in USD increases because the money is worth less. How do you like your stimulus package so far? Well, everyone knows it's a shell game and the money we are printing is worthless. Inflation comes next so hold on to yer wallet. It's gonna be a really bumpy ride!

"At this point, Bernanke is basically financing the national deficit by buying debt issued by the Treasury. In addition to capping Treasury yields, expanding the Fed’s balance sheet and printing more money to accommodate these purchases has sharply undermined the value of the dollar."

Old 03-22-2009, 05:07 AM

My questions were hypothetical.

The policies that she has enacted regarding a few of those hypothetical situations as governor are readily available. Did she not make a speech regarding special needs children during her VP candidacy? Did she not enact windfall profit taxes on energy companies in Alaska since taking office? Has she not gone behind the energy companies backs to construct a pipeline through Canada to transport fuel that isn't owned by either party? Ask Exxon Mobil about how much natural gas they're willing to pump through that pipeline while Palin (and a Canadian company) is in control of it.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You missed this one that I posted earlier. The Mods will forgive me for double posting.

No I addressed that. The bailouts are not the stimulus. You started this thread in regards to Palin not taking stimulus money.

Please quit ignoring posts that you disagree with to prove a false point.

My response was in post #93

Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 AM

194 posts, read 326,107 times
Nonsenseguy-- YOU WRote ----Why are you bringing up these old tired lies and meaningless non-issues? Virtually everyone of those things has been discussed before, traced to liberal blogs like mediamatters, moveon, or other liberal sites, and all of these things have been debunked. And who gives a damn who is living in her house? Is that for you to be concerned with? Do you even know if it's true? What business is it of yours if she flies while pregnant (in labor??? doubtful)

------------------------------------

I am sorry if you doubt that Paln flew during labor with Trig from TX to Ak- because those are Palin's words. I was researching where the seemingly ridiculous story about Trig not being Sarah's and instead being Bristols- and found that Palin's own words and story about her flight during labor are what started people wondering if it was actually her child. (Also the fact that her co-workers had no idea she was pregnant until 7 months when she told them.) So, if you find Palin's words doubtful- you are a group with others who don't believe her and think Trig is Bristols. I for one- am believing Palin on that one. Not because she's trustworthy- no no no- just because of the timing of Tripps birth.

As for charging for the kids flights- well she's repaying the money- and admits to making the charges. So sorry to disappoint you and your belief that the stories aren't real- but again based on Palin's own words.

As for who cares about who lives in Palin's house- well again Palin herself made that newsworthy. Bristol being an unwed mom- makes her like just one of many. HOWEVER when Palin- wants to run on a family values and ethics platform- allowing your teenager's boyfriend to move into the family home- is exactly about family values and goes to the core. Levi lived with the Palins for awhile until the recent break up. That once again shows Palin not being what she wants people to believe she is- because she does not stand for family values. (YES, I do know that it is true and LEvi moved out recently.)

Palin doesn't give any appearance of even understanding the terminology of responsibility.
This is just another PALIN FACT and not a PLAIN FACT! Palin is playing games- obviously she thinks she has a political career in the future. She says she isn't going to accept stimulus funds, then she is going to take part-but she'll let others talk about taking the rest- so she can try and use that down the road as another way of taking no responsibility.

As for the other items you asked me about- I am outraged by some of the things you listed. HOwever this isn't a post about that the OP wasn't writing about that therefore that is not what I wrote about here. I have other posts of my own about bailout bonuses and such if you want to see some of my other views. Or you can write about those topics and if I have something to say on the topics- I'll comment on your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies