Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think it would be ok for people to manipulate genes to have "designer" babies
Yes 17 16.67%
No 76 74.51%
Unsure/Other 9 8.82%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:11 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
She'll never believe we are born gay even if there is scientific proof beyond doubt. Denial and ignorance are a powerful combo.
It's a choice to remain ignorant when there is so much information from reputable sources readily available on the net. It's also a choice to believe that all the experts must be lying, and millions of gay people must be lying when we say our orientation is not a choice.

But then again, some of these people believe that the earth is only 6000 years old and that a fellow called Noah had dinosaurs on board his little boat.

Quote:
In the meantime, i'm gonna life my life the way I want to, even knowing Janelle doesn't want me to. If i was the wife of that husband though, i'd keep a close eye on Janelle
*chuckle* Clearly the thought has entered her mind.

As for me, I've never even had thoughts of cheating on my partner of 10 years-perhaps because I am extremely happy in my relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 11:14 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Once we start aborting fetuses simply on the basis of genetics, society as a whole will never be the same. The baby won't be smart enough, beautiful enough, straight enough etc etc...the human condition will change and i wouldn't look forward to the day.
Yeah, I agree, but I think the possibility for it exists.

Also, I hate to say it, but although most parents can accept that their son or daughter may have a hair color or eye color that isn't their first choice, I don't think it would be very easy for them to just allow their baby to develop into a homosexual, knowing that they could change it if they chose to. It might not even be entirely based on the parents' homophobia; they may simply feel like they're doing the child a favor.

If homosexuality continues to become more accepted, the chances of this happening will decrease, but I doubt the desire for a heterosexual child will go away.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:16 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post

As for me, I've never even had thoughts of cheating on my partner of 10 years-perhaps because I am extremely happy in my relationship.
well cheers to that and cheers to the gay people in this forum. Good people and very intelligent oh and that guy from Rome Georgia, his children are likely to have such an intelligent and loving man as a father. They will do well.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:17 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Ah, yeah, but I believe that sexual orientation is determined by hormonal levels in the mother's womb. A lot of research over the last several years points in that direction.
if that were the case, it would no longer be a matter of genetics, would it?

anyway, if you have a link, i'd be interested in checking it out.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

This story from 60 Minutes sort of confuses gender identity issues with sexual orientation issues, but still, it's pretty good:

The Science Of Sexual Orientation - CBS News

Here's another:

CNN.com - Male hormone levels in womb may affect sexual orientation, study says - March 29, 2000

Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This story from 60 Minutes sort of confuses gender identity issues with sexual orientation issues, but still, it's pretty good:

The Science Of Sexual Orientation - CBS News

Here's another:

CNN.com - Male hormone levels in womb may affect sexual orientation, study says - March 29, 2000
thanks, that was interesting. especially this-
Quote:
for every older brother a man has, his chances of being gay increase by one third. Older sisters make no difference, and there's no corresponding effect for lesbians. A first-born son has about a 2 percent chance of being gay, and the numbers rise from there. The theory is it happens in the womb.
yet there are cases of twins where one is gay and one is not, so that throws a whole 'nother wrench in the works.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:

Here's a good article from the Boston Globe which mentions some of the recent studies.

What Makes People Gay? - The Boston Globe

Here's a link to a fairly comprehensive list of studies and summaries (up to 2004) on sexual orientation from the Liberty Education website.

Is It a Choice? The Science of Sexual Orientation (http://www.libertyeducationforum.org/IsItaChoiceTheScienceofSexualOrientation.htm - broken link)

And here are just a few of the conclusions from the more recent studies in the last 5 years:

Quote:
Mustanski, B. S.; DuPree, M. G.; Nievergelt, C. M.; Bocklandt, S.; Schork, N. J.; Hamer, D. H. “A genomewide scan of male sexual orientation.” Human Genetics 116: 272-278, 2005

Mustanski concluded that: "There's a converging line of evidence between the hormonal studies, the genetic studies, and the neuroanatomical studies. My research has identified candidate genes within these new chromosomal regions that could link together all of these different findings”
Quote:
Swaab DF (2007) Sexual differentiation of the brain and behavior. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 21:431–444.

Current evidence indicates that sexual differentiation of the human brain occurs during fetal and neonatal development and programs our gender identity— our feeling of being male or female and our sexual orientation as hetero-, homo-, or bisexual. This sexual differentiation process is accompanied by many structural and functional brain differences among these groups.
Quote:
(2008) Brain scans have provided the most compelling evidence yet that being gay or straight is a biologically fixed trait.
The scans reveal that in gay people, key structures of the brain governing emotion, mood, anxiety and aggressiveness resemble those in straight people of the opposite sex.

The differences are likely to have been forged in the womb or in early infancy, says Ivanka Savic, who conducted the study at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden.
Gay brains structured like those of the opposite sex - life - 16 June 2008 - New Scientist

Last edited by Ceist; 04-21-2009 at 11:50 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:

yet there are cases of twins where one is gay and one is not, so that throws a whole 'nother wrench in the works.
The fact that there is a much higher chance of brother being gay if his twin is gay, points to there being a genetic factor, even if it's not the only factor.

But twins, even identical twins, are not the same genetically.

Have a look at this article about identical twins from Scientific American
Identical Twins' Genes Are Not Identical: Scientific American

Apparently there are differences in "copy number variants" and the way genes are expressed differently.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:

I know. It's a puzzle that seems impossible to figure out, but I'm sure that, someday, it will be figured out.

This is another article that I found really interesting from last year:

Brains of gay men show similarities to those of heterosexual women, study reports - Los Angeles Times

I found it interesting because it confirms some stereotypes. Some people might not like it, but I found it to be a relief in some ways.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 PM

These have amusing (although not flattering) titles :

Gay men 'as bad as women with maps' - Times Online

Gay men share women's talents for map reading - Telegraph

Gay men are as bad at navigating as women | Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies