Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:52 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is seeking $83.4 billion for U.S. military and diplomatic operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, pressing for special troop funding that he opposed two years ago when he was a senator and George W. Bush was president.

Obama's request, including money to send thousands more troops into Afghanistan, would push the costs of the two wars to almost $1 trillion since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks against the United States, according to the Congressional Research Service. The additional money would cover operations into the latter months of this year.

Obama also is requesting $400 million to upgrade security along the U.S.-Mexico border and to combat narcoterrorists.

Obama seeks $83 billion for Iraq, Afghan wars - White House- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 04:57 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,874 times
Strange how the left isn't game for spinning this one.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:03 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Why is it the left isn't getting mad anymore about how many troops are getting killed in Iraq? Weird how that all of a sudden stopped after the election, they don't even seem to mind that the troops are still there.

What a bunch of hypocrites. Can't expect much else I guess.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:07 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,062 times
And it's funny how the news isn't all over this story. Liberal bias?

I don't think we need to fight in Afghanistan, just keep some troops there to let them know we are ready, because we haven't been bombed since 8 years.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:09 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Why is it the left isn't getting mad anymore about how many troops are getting killed in Iraq? Weird how that all of a sudden stopped after the election, they don't even seem to mind that the troops are still there.

What a bunch of hypocrites. Can't expect much else I guess.

They are, but don't expect to see them admit it, at least not here publicly.

I was not against the spending for the war on islamic terrorists before and I'm not now. If Barry says he needs it to keep this country safe, he needs it. Even if he changes the name of the war or the combatants, whatever it takes.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:14 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
They are, but don't expect to see them admit it, at least not here publicly.

I was not against the spending for the war on islamic terrorists before and I'm not now. If Barry says he needs it to keep this country safe, he needs it. Even if he changes the name of the war or the combatants, whatever it takes.
I don't think they are.
If
Barry says he needs it he needs it.
If Bush said he needs it he's the white devil trying to take over the world.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:23 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Yes YOU weren't against it but apparently Barry boy was. So in 2009 we need it to keep this country safe, but in 2007 we didn't? What exactly has changed that we now need this to keep our country safe?

President Barack Obama is seeking $83.4 billion for U.S. military and diplomatic operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, pressing for special troop funding that he opposed two years ago when he was a senator and George W. Bush was president.

What is going on now is absolutely astounding.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:45 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Apparently, the supporters of Afghanistan and Iraq wars have suddenly flipped over, taken a complete 180 degree turn. Do y'all understand how these wars were funded? Clearly, you don't.

Bush administration never included the spending in the wars in the budget, and funded it via supplementals. Beginning with Obama's first budget (2010), they will be. However, we're still in budget from Bush era (2009) and the only way to fund them until the 2010 budget goes into effect is... via supplementals.

Any question?

Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Don't forget that libs were calling our military baby killers and rapers and war mongers before they were in power. Now St Barak visits troops in the hospital and suddenly they are heros. Now that HE is President, they are heros. Now that HE is President, they will fight the good war and won't be "sidetracked by Iraq" as he said overseas. What a slap in the face to our troops and all those brave servicemen and women who served in Iraq. What a load of crap.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:52 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
Nice try but this thread is a swing and a miss.

Obama has announced a plan to draw down in Iraq (now that the Iraqis can take control) and refocus on finishing the job in Afghanistan - both things he promised to do if elected. That obviously costs money and requires some troop deployments so what kind of protest were you hoping for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies