Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,783,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I think this would be a good idea. With the high unemployment, it could create some jobs.

And I really think that the work week should be lowered. We work more hours now then they did in the 1950s. It should be less now as our society grows.

Also if they lowered the work week to 35 hours I think that more companies would consider 4 day work weeks. This would relieve traffic, pollution, and save people money on commuting costs. Plus it would give people more time to travel and spend money.
I agree whole-heartedly ... but it will never happen .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:19 AM

564 posts, read 892,953 times
Quote:
I think this would be a good idea. With the high unemployment, it could create some jobs.

And I really think that the work week should be lowered. We work more hours now then they did in the 1950s. It should be less now as our society grows.

Also if they lowered the work week to 35 hours I think that more companies would consider 4 day work weeks. This would relieve traffic, pollution, and save people money on commuting costs. Plus it would give people more time to travel and spend money.
I can barely pay my bills now, and was considering taking a 20-40 hr. part-time job to pay down the c.c.'s. Hell no I don't want 35 hrs a week. I feel for people who have been laid off, have no sympathy for the lazies that didn't work before the depression. Cutting my hours and then I begin to fail on my obligations will help no one, if the cuts make it to me-oh well Since 2003 when I was laid off, and went back in 2004, I rose up the ranks to protect myself from this again, now the new guys (less than 2 years are getting the axe) I worked 2x harder than the next man to rise-up and watched as these new guys ride off my work and do the least as possible. I feel for them, but in NO WAY would I cut my nose to save their job, these last generations are the laziest I've ever seen.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:33 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:

Yeah it worked great in France.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 AM

564 posts, read 892,953 times
For all of you who like this idea-I'm glad, you must be in management. And companies are going to start axing those big salaries your getting or freezing your wages-when it comes down to it, I don't need 2 or more people telling me whats priority next, just one. After all, if there are no or less workers there is NO COMPANY at all. The lazy management aint gonna get their hands dirty, and probaby wouldn't know where to start

Have a nice day

Old 04-10-2009, 10:45 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Quote:

Based on your theory of creating more jobs it would put MORE people on the road(creating more traffic and polution),it would cut employees salaries if hourly and based on a four day work week it would put people into overtime because most are paid OT after 8 hours a day(4 days 32 hours). If you want to create jobs you get rid of outsourcing and making it beneficial to companies to keep their jobs here and tax the hell out of them if they do ship them out of the country.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:10 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Worked in France
Beat me to it.
I think a defined number of hours for a standard work week makes sense, and whatever increases or decreases there are from it are only between my employer and me. The government can butt out.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Beat me to it.
I think a defined number of hours for a standard work week makes sense, and whatever increases or decreases there are from it are only between my employer and me. The government can butt out.
It only works if you are a salaried employee otherwise you are getting less pay.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
It only works if you are a salaried employee otherwise you are getting less pay.
Not so much, because every agreement I've signed when I was hired on as a salaried worker had the stipulation that pay is based on a 2080 hour work year. Move to a 35 hour standard work week and salaried pay gets cut too.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Not so much, because every agreement I've signed when I was hired on as a salaried worker had the stipulation that pay is based on a 2080 hour work year. Move to a 35 hour standard work week and salaried pay gets cut too.
Woah,not true at all.I don't know where you work but most jobs with salaried employees just have to work fulltime which with some companies is already 35-40 hours and some more.If it went to 35 hours and lets say the place was opened 5 days a week only then the operating costs would go down based on 1 hour less a day heat,electric,etc...

Old 04-10-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Woah,not true at all.I don't know where you work but most jobs with salaried employees just have to work fulltime which with some companies is already 35-40 hours and some more.If it went to 35 hours and lets say the place was opened 5 days a week only then the operating costs would go down based on 1 hour less a day heat,electric,etc...
Several companies actually. Fortune 500 down to 25 employees. Read your paperwork - salary is calculated at a standard rate of 2080 hours worked per year, at least on all employment contracts I've signed. This is he stuff people usually just sign without looking at on their first day, though I've seen the vetbage show up in offer letters too. Overtime policies varied where I have worked - sometimes compinsated, sometimes not. They don't use fuzzy terms like "full time" without defining what that means somewhere.

If a company decides to pay a salaried worker the same for a 35 hour work week as they would for 40 that's their own thing. But I setously doubt many would since that's not the term on their employment contracs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies