Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 07:53 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times

Advertisements

My thoughts are: it doesnt affect me. Two people no matter what sex being married and having those benefits does not affect me. I dont tell other hetero's how to live, living together with kids without marriage, or just living together without marriage, isnt my business. Just like abortion, I wouldnt do it, but who am I to tell others they cant. I dont have to accept it ,because I dont have to go through it. Same with gay marriage, you dont have to accept it, it has nothing to do with you, will not affect your life or your marriage, so who is anyone to tell them they cannot be married? In the religious peoples eyes it is wrong, but in their's it isnt, seems a little like a double standard. It is Ok to impose your beliefs on people and have it affect their lives, but not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't see why there should be any great distinction between hetero/homo pedophilia in the eyes of the law. I believe preference is genetic, since marriage is a creation of man polygamy would have to be a moral concept.

And to add something I haven't seen discussed very much, so much is made of the sexual aspect when a true life partnership is so much more. So is the major objection same sex people being commited to a partnership or that they have a sexual relationship? Intimacy goes far beyond physical sex.
Respectfully, burdell, I'm not arguing the choice aspect. For the sake of this argument, I'll give you that. What I am asking is what if I am 'genetically hardwired' to prefer 13 year old boys and I can't help it. Are the same folks that are ok with gay marriage going to be OK lowering consent ages, if the argument is made for them?

Before you answer, look at global consent ages....http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm

Old 04-26-2007, 07:58 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
nope not just about sex, but about or relationships. it is about the act of sexual immorality, and the fact that it is not natural. The marriage is outside the bounds and marriage is between one man and one woman. It is not about love, heck i love gay people too, but its is about marriage, polygamy is also outside those bounds, and shacking up is also. they are equally in sexual immorality, homosexuality is same as adultery as sin goes. So that is "MY" beliefs.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:04 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
nope not just about sex, but about or relationships. it is about the act of sexual immorality, and the fact that it is not natural. The marriage is outside the bounds and marriage is between one man and one woman. It is not about love, heck i love gay people too, but its is about marriage, polygamy is also outside those bounds, and shacking up is also. they are equally in sexual immorality, homosexuality is same as adultery as sin goes. So that is "MY" beliefs.
You have every right to those beliefs. but how is what they do in their bedroom anyones business? And how does it affect you?

Old 04-26-2007, 08:09 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,230 times
Default The "Straight" Skinny

A "Gay" couple marries, they receive "benefits." A "Gay" couple marries they pay the same oppressive taxes as everyone else. Checkmate !!! So much for the financial argument. "The Religious Angle" ? More Gay less population, the species does not flourish, all against God's will. "Be plentiful and multiply!!!!!"
The "Pop Control Crowd" loves the above slant. Planet is really crowded hey?
Too many cars too many people, too much heat. Checkmate again !!! I could go on and on with this "Chess Game" but I will stop it right here !!! Here's why this "Gay Marriage Movement" must be defeated : Throughout history societies that have gone this route ( look it up and see for yourself) have declined to near ruin. Some in fact were ruined. We in the United States are facing decline for many other reasons. I'm afraid this would eventually push us over the top. I say NO GAY MARRIAGE !!!! Settle this issue by defeating it and let us please move on to other issues which are far more vital to our survival,
like Global Warming, The astronomical cost required to live these days, effectively dealing with terrorism. The majority of people in this country if they will be honest are opposed to "Gay Marriage." Stop it !!!!!!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Respectfully, burdell, I'm not arguing the choice aspect. For the sake of this argument, I'll give you that. What I am asking is what if I am 'genetically hardwired' to prefer 13 year old boys and I can't help it. Are the same folks that are ok with gay marriage going to be OK lowering consent ages, if the argument is made for them?

Before you answer, look at global consent ages....http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm
I think it's two different things, I don't see why there should be any difference in hetero/homo consent ages assuming they're based on the emotional maturity to understand a sexual relationship. I haven't spent a great deal of time looking into it but is there any evidence that pedophilia is more prevalent in hetero/homo-sexuals?

I'm really only thinking about gay marriage from the standpoint of inheritance, spousal benefits, etc. If people are truly commited I see no reason to deny them. Moral/religious judgements are IMO best left to the individuals

Old 04-26-2007, 08:16 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
My thoughts are: it doesnt affect me. Two people no matter what sex being married and having those benefits does not affect me.. .
You are being very short-sighted, besides the fact that this statement is incorrect. You may not realize it but it would affect you, your children, and our society.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:21 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
is there any evidence that pedophilia is more prevalent in hetero/homo-sexuals?
Honestly I have no idea, but that's not my point or my question.

Let's say this time next year, a coalition of folks gets together and decides they want to make a push for the consent of age to be dropped to 13 year old girls because some girl's 40 year old male neighbor wants to marry her and they have a 'proponderance of evidence' saying that, in fact, 13 year olds do have the capacity to give consent for this. They base that on societies that allow it (Japan, etc from link earlier) and the fact that the 40 year old has always been attracted to 13 year olds and vice versa for the 13 year old. What I'm asking you is would you be so vocal in respecting that person's claims as you are the homosexuals, and, if not, why?

EDIT: TO make this point not so case specific, let's say it's a group of folks that have these feelings. Better suited for this topic.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:22 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
i say no to the global warming issue too due to the fact that since science has to be peer reviews and go through methods--all voices and debate must be heard but they try and shut out the opposition to it, and also, when the environmental movement was talking about this15 and 20 years ago no one wanted to hear it and now everyone wants to jump on the trend, NOT.

Nea1, you again brought me into your discussion, it affects me and my family and my community as it is not a marriage and can not be a marriage as marriage is between one man and one woman and this like shacking up is not a marriage, it is immoral. Just like other immoral things it always affects the society in which we live when we allow it to penetrate our culture.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:23 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post

I guess our big difference is I believe being gay is genetic and don't see the justice in punishing people for their genetic make-up when they're not harming others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies