Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:25 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
So, by your logic, we need EVEN MORE laws that will not be enforced.

Think about it. The only ones it will affect are the lawful gun owners. Criminal don't give a hoot about one more charge on the rap sheet.
So, by your logic, we shouldn't have any laws at all? If a felon wants to own a machine gun, they should be able to own one as long as everyone else gets to own one too?

Think of all the money we would save on law enforcement! We'd be back to the good old days of ancient civilization but with modern weapons! Anybody want to buy a nuke? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 06:37 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
But it is NOT simply enforced. My point exactly.

"Private Sellers" operate at gun shows and sell to whoever comes through the door with the greenbacks for what they want without IDs, background checks, paperwork, or even an exchange of names.

With no record of the sale it's hard to prove any laws were broken. I'm still waiting to see if they find out where he got his gun.
You are basing this on something you saw...one instance.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 AM

How will any of these supposed laws stop criminals from gaining a firearm?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:49 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
How about psychological testing? And an IQ Test? Just because someone has a lot of money and no criminal background doesn't mean they are psychologically safe to own a gun.

Psychological testing to get a gun should be done just like a vision test is done to get a driver's license. Of course, now that I think about it, a vision test should also be required to get a gun.

And, you know, now that I think about it... The more medical science learns about the brain, perhaps potential gun owners could have their brains tested to see if they show any strange brain activity when shown photos of various races, family members, religious figures, etc.

And what about a DNA sample? Shouldn't all potential gun owners be required to leave a DNA sample? And in keeping with the idea of getting DNA samples, shouldn't all ammunition be licked by the buyer at the time of sale -- to capture the buyer's DNA?

I don't think we have enough laws and regulations. I think we need more.
How about psychological testing? And an IQ Test? Just because someone has a lot of money and no criminal background doesn't mean they are psychologically safe to vote.

Psychological testing to vote should be done just like a vision test is done to get a driver's license. Of course, now that I think about it, a vision test should also be required to vote.

And, you know, now that I think about it... The more medical science learns about the brain, perhaps potential voters could have their brains tested to see if they show any strange brain activity when shown photos of various races, family members, religious figures, etc.

And what about a DNA sample? Shouldn't all potential voters be required to leave a DNA sample? And in keeping with the idea of getting DNA samples, shouldn't all ballots be licked by the buyer at the polls -- to capture the buyer's DNA?

I don't think we have enough laws and regulations. I think we need more.

----------

While we're at it, we can impose the same restrictions on every Constitutional right! Freedom of speech? IQ test! Don't want to testify against yourself? Hope you're smart enough!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:25 AM

37,184 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You are basing this on something you saw...one instance.
At least two incidents.

The first is the one in March, 2007 when I all but had to fight with a seller to make him take my name when I purchased a S&W Kit Gun.

Second was the one a couple of weeks ago.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 AM

Well I have never seen such a thing and have actually been required by sellers on at least two occasions to provide info and sign a witnesses paper stating I am allowed to buy the firearm in question....neither of which were pistols but long guns.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:36 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
You started off ok but veered of course as usual..To start comparing accidents to deliberate actions is juvenile and cheapened your initial statement. I guess you didn't want to disappoint your clinging buddies.
And how is a parent sticking a child on an ATV , possibly without so much as a helmet, and letting it rip, not a deliberate act? Of complete stupidity. Or leaving a child unattended by the pool? All 'accidents' can be traced back to a deliberate act somewhere. ALL of them. Somewhere on the chain, someone made a concious choice to allow something unsafe to happen. If I was unclear in my point, well, here's to clearing that up.. People are the problem. They are the catylist that is required for the chain reaction to go down. The person makes a choice, and things either go well or seriously south bound. "clinging'......whatever.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:52 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,959 times
If you google Doctors vs Gun deaths you will find that doctors accidentaly kill more people than guns. So do we ban doctors

Doctors vs. Gun Owners
------------------------------------------
Doctors
(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.
(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services.)
-------------------------------------------
Guns
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, that's 80 million)
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.
(Statistics courtesy of FBI)

Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
I love how some of the people here act like gun shows are overflowing with kids and criminals looking to buy guns. If you truly believe that, you are an idiot.

Just a story about a gun owner using his CCW to save himself and others....-superior-kitteh.jpg

Old 04-14-2009, 05:23 PM

37,184 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I love how some of the people here act like gun shows are overflowing with kids and criminals looking to buy guns. If you truly believe that, you are an idiot.

Attachment 39834
Maybe not overflowing.

But do tell us - how many gun sales to criminals and children are acceptable, in your opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies