Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:30 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,102 times

Advertisements

Couldn't we just classify all Republicans as mentally challenged and commit them to hospitals for their, as well as the rest of society's, own good? Please? They're several cards short of a full deck. I can't believe they're allowed to walk free among us.

Tea Party Insanity: "Burn The Books!" (VIDEO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:58 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Couldn't we just classify all Republicans as mentally challenged and commit them to hospitals for their, as well as the rest of society's, own good? Please? They're several cards short of a full deck. I can't believe they're allowed to walk free among us.

Sad, isn't it? A veritable "mob."

Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:

Give me a break. Why is it that many of you liberal Democrats want to have those that don't agree with your ideology committed? Do you truly believe that you are the only ones enlightened enough to think for yourselves? Why do you spout this hatred towards your fellow Americans? I think anyone that is in favor of committing their political opponents to mental institutions (or as you put it, hospitals) because of their political views is seriously deranged.

Why do you think you are the intellectual elite? Do you think only your point of view is good for society? If you want a country where everyone thinks the same as everyone else, move to the U.S.S.R. Here in the United States, we have the right to free speech, even for those that are not politically correct. We also have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Committing your political opponents to a mental institution because of their beliefs denies them those rights.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Give me a break. Why is it that many of you liberal Democrats want to have those that don't agree with your ideology committed? Do you truly believe that you are the only ones enlightened enough to think for yourselves? Why do you spout this hatred towards your fellow Americans? I think anyone that is in favor of committing their political opponents to mental institutions (or as you put it, hospitals) because of their political views is seriously deranged.

Why do you think you are the intellectual elite? Do you think only your point of view is good for society? If you want a country where everyone thinks the same as everyone else, move to the U.S.S.R. Here in the United States, we have the right to free speech, even for those that are not politically correct. We also have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Committing your political opponents to a mental institution because of their beliefs denies them those rights.
Freedom of Speech. Yep we do have it back now that Bush is no longer in office...

Old 04-12-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post

Give me a break, indeed. This isn't about wanting to "commit" people who simply "don't agree," nor is it about "hating" anyone. This is about watching a percentage of the American population living in demented denial and rage. Their point of view is more than "different." It's insane.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:43 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Freedom of Speech. Yep we do have it back now that Bush is no longer in office...

Old 04-13-2009, 12:03 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Give me a break, indeed. This isn't about wanting to "commit" people who simply "don't agree," nor is it about "hating" anyone. This is about watching a percentage of the American population living in demented denial and rage. Their point of view is more than "different." It's insane.
Oh, don't try and paint this as the crazies versus the sane people, that's how the Republican media outlets have portrayed your (the Left) demonstrations and protests for the last 5 decades, and it's no more right or just when you do it. It only makes you a hypocrite. Exercising freedom of speech is a good thing, no matter who does it, because it furthers the debate and the dialog about what's right for this country. If voicing concerns about excessive spending (under both Obama and Bush) somehow means I am living in demented denial and rage, then the lunatics truly are running the asylum. If you disagree so vehemently with our position on the issues of spending and taxation (as you obviously do), then I challenge you to show up on Wednesday and shout us down (I'll be in Sacramento). That's a valid and patriotic thing to do. Don't, however, sit there in your ivory tower of intellectualism and pretend that anyone who is willing to stand up for beliefs that are contrary to your own are deranged extremists. Some of the tea party participants, sure, but there are extremists on both sides of the isle, and in relatively equal proportions.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Oh, don't try and paint this as the crazies versus the sane people, that's how the Republican media outlets have portrayed your (the Left) demonstrations and protests for the last 5 decades, and it's no more right or just when you do it. It only makes you a hypocrite. Exercising freedom of speech is a good thing, no matter who does it, because it furthers the debate and the dialog about what's right for this country. If voicing concerns about excessive spending (under both Obama and Bush) somehow means I am living in demented denial and rage, then the lunatics truly are running the asylum. If you disagree so vehemently with our position on the issues of spending and taxation (as you obviously do), then I challenge you to show up on Wednesday and shout us down (I'll be in Sacramento). That's a valid and patriotic thing to do. Don't, however, sit there in your ivory tower of intellectualism and pretend that anyone who is willing to stand up for beliefs that are contrary to your own are deranged extremists. Some of the tea party participants, sure, but there are extremists on both sides of the isle, and in relatively equal proportions.
If you think that people who believe that the U.S. Congress was overrun by communists in the 1950s, that books should be banned, and colleges avoided are not demented, more power to you. There is no "ivory tower of intellectualism." The people at the tea party don't have any "beliefs" that are grounded in reality or actual fact. They're primarily either just a bunch of right-wingers who can't accept that their candidates lost the election, or a bunch of wacked-out nutjobs who get their news from the Beck-Hannity- Limbaugh trinity. I can promise you that the vast majority of the American public is looking on the participants with pity.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
If you think that people who believe that the U.S. Congress was overrun by communists in the 1950s, that books should be banned, and colleges avoided are not demented, more power to you. There is no "ivory tower of intellectualism." The people at the tea party don't have any "beliefs" that are grounded in reality or actual fact. They're primarily either just a bunch of right-wingers who can't accept that their candidates lost the election, or a bunch of wacked-out nutjobs who get their news from the Beck-Hannity- Limbaugh trinity. I can promise you that the vast majority of the American public is looking on the participants with pity.
It would make for a great photo op for 2010/2012. I can see the KKK and NeoNazi's in full garb, oh can't forget the Skin Heads.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:47 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,182 times
Quote:
If you think that people who believe that the U.S. Congress was overrun by communists in the 1950s, that books should be banned, and colleges avoided are not demented, more power to you.
A hint of sarcasm, perhaps? Maybe, just maybe, not all of the participants at the tea parties believe as you think they do. Hell, I can say for a fact that I don't. But, congratulations, that's a great straw man you've got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward
There is no "ivory tower of intellectualism."
Oh, there most certainly is. The ivory tower of intellectualism is the widespread philosophy among much of the Left Wing that, because they are highly educated, they somehow need to make decisions for the rest of us lowly rednecks/underprivileged minorities. It's apparent in the laws they pass and their attempts at social engineering through legislation and the tax code. I've seen it first hand, when once I was told that, since I grew up in the country, I was somehow sheltered and unable to form an educated opinion about politics (despite the fact that I attend a university).

Quote:
The people at the tea party don't have any "beliefs" that are grounded in reality or actual fact. They're primarily either just a bunch of right-wingers who can't accept that their candidates lost the election, or a bunch of wacked-out nutjobs who get their news from the Beck-Hannity- Limbaugh trinity.
Well, I'm a libertarian, who get his news from all sorts of different sources. I was never in a position to win 'the' election. I'm not a nutjob, just an American citizen who feels that our country would be far better off if the folks in Washington D.C. just left well enough alone and stayed out of my business. I commend some of the actions of the Obama administration (such as the suspension of D.E.A. raids of medical marijuana facilities), but I categorically reject his big government spending policies (just as I reject those of the previous administration).

Quote:
I can promise you that the vast majority of the American public is looking on the participants with pity.
No, that's just you and your Left Wing cronies who are lost in the confusion of fighting an internal battle. One on hand, you want to support Americans standing up for their rights and using their freedoms of speech and assembly, but on the other hand, you can't understand how anybody could disagree with the commandments handed down by our fearless leader (yes, he's our president too), and thus the rational side of your brain shuts down and, in an emotional outburst, you condemn us as radical and unintelligent extremists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies