Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:00 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
you know what else has no place in public schools? actual education.
And my guess is that they got rid of it before some around here enrolled...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 04:03 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
and my guess is that they got rid of it before some around here enrolled...

Old 04-17-2009, 04:07 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
what does god have to do with christianity? judiasm, mormonism, islam, and many religons have god. christianity is about jesus last time I checked.
Mormonism IS Christianity. Duh.

Judaism prays to Adonoi and this is not a song about the Jewish god.
This also not a song about Allah.

The first line of the whole song is "You place your hand on his bible"...that's a Christian reference.

The whole song is about how we need to push religion into everything. How is that a message in line with what our forefathers suggested when they demanded that Church and State be separated?

Christianity is about God AND Jesus...

Old 04-17-2009, 04:12 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
ask a fundamentalist christian if mormonism is christianity. I didn't see the line about the bible. you also need a little history lesson. it was't our forefathers who "demanded" separation of church and state. it was just jefferson. I think all we should teach in school is math and science. history is too objective and electives students take nowadays is why our children are idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Mormonism IS Christianity. Duh.

Judaism prays to Adonoi and this is not a song about the Jewish god.
This also not a song about Allah.

The first line of the whole song is "You place your hand on his bible"...that's a Christian reference.

The whole song is about how we need to push religion into everything. How is that a message in line with what our forefathers suggested when they demanded that Church and State be separated.

Christianity is about God AND Jesus...

Old 04-17-2009, 04:35 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
The purpose of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment is to prevent government from establishing a state or national religion. It was never intended to restrict individuals from praying or singing, because neither of those events establishes a government religion. A President referring to "God" in his speech, or Congress holding morning benidictions also do not violate the Establishment Clause because neither are government policy.

As an atheist I am the last person who wants to see religion of any kind infiltrate into my government as a matter of policy. However, I also know the difference between someone excersizing their individual right to free speech and worship as they see fit, and establishing a government policy on a specific religion.

Children singing or praying in school does not violate the Establishment Clause, no matter what they sing or say during their prayers. Children do not establish government policy.

Now if government were to officially take a position, for or against, a particular religion, then I would have a serious problem, because that is establishing a government policy. But that is not the case here. The judge was obviously pushing an anti-Christian agenda and had no interest in what the actual law says. A very sad case indeed.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Has anyone actually read the lyrics to the song? IMO it's just another silly 'country' song that is trying it's darndest to get 'christian america' to purchase that particular band's (Diamond Rio) records.

Usually I wouldn't care what is sung in public schools, but this song goes waaaay too far... Could you imagine a Muslim or Jewish kid sitting there listening to that and basically being told that they don't belong here? Horrible.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
ask a fundamentalist christian if mormonism is christianity. I didn't see the line about the bible. you also need a little history lesson. it was't our forefathers who "demanded" separation of church and state. it was just jefferson. I think all we should teach in school is math and science. history is too objective and electives students take nowadays is why our children are idiots.
You didn't see it because you don't care about facts (hence your distaste for history...those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it), I looked up the lyrics and saw that the very first line was about the bible.

And all nutjob Christians think their sect is the only true sect of Christianity, but the fact is, they are all Christians. Catholics, Baptists, Evangelicals, Anglicans, 7th Day Adventists, Mormons...they are all the same thing, Jesus-based religions.

Mormons believe in Jesus and follow parts of the New Testament. That's Christianity.

Sorry, but if it's in the constitution, more than just one person was pushing for it. Obviously you need more education, because you make wild claims, have no idea how to form a sentence or even how to use the shift key.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The purpose of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment is to prevent government from establishing a state or national religion. It was never intended to restrict individuals from praying or singing, because neither of those events establishes a government religion. A President referring to "God" in his speech, or Congress holding morning benidictions also do not violate the Establishment Clause because neither are government policy.

As an atheist I am the last person who wants to see religion of any kind infiltrate into my government as a matter of policy. However, I also know the difference between someone excersizing their individual right to free speech and worship as they see fit, and establishing a government policy on a specific religion.

Children singing or praying in school does not violate the Establishment Clause, no matter what they sing or say during their prayers. Children do not establish government policy.

Now if government were to officially take a position, for or against, a particular religion, then I would have a serious problem, because that is establishing a government policy. But that is not the case here. The judge was obviously pushing an anti-Christian agenda and had no interest in what the actual law says. A very sad case indeed.
A public school forcing children to sing about the Bible, god and how religion needs to be in our society more IS AN ESTABLISHMENT BY THE GOVERNMENT. The School is a representative of the government, and it's wrong (and unconstitutional) for them to be establishing a religion or even a religious preference.

Why do we need this crap in our schools anyways? What place does "god" have in education? There is no circumstance where this should be okay in a public school. If you want to have your child at a school where they are forced to sing about the bible and god, send them to a Christian school.

Why do Christians feel the need to push their religion on everyone else? You don't hear Jews, Arabs, Hindus or Buddhists forcing students to sing THEIR songs in school...

Old 04-17-2009, 05:10 PM

I find you inspirational. you are truly a brilliant mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
You didn't see it because you don't care about facts (hence your distaste for history...those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it), I looked up the lyrics and saw that the very first line was about the bible.

And all nutjob Christians think their sect is the only true sect of Christianity, but the fact is, they are all Christians. Catholics, Baptists, Evangelicals, Anglicans, 7th Day Adventists, Mormons...they are all the same thing, Jesus-based religions.

Mormons believe in Jesus and follow parts of the New Testament. That's Christianity.

Sorry, but if it's in the constitution, more than just one person was pushing for it. Obviously you need more education, because you make wild claims, have no idea how to form a sentence or even how to use the shift key.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I don't think the judge was actually considering any of those in this case. Seemed to be about just one really dumb, offensive, and obviously impermissible song...
A lot of people here would consider Hopkins, Michelangelo, Handel, and Bach dumb, offensive, and "impermissible" (love that term, commissar).

Those same people are on the march these days. This Forum is filled with their braying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies