Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,493 times

Advertisements

I truly have no idea how to reply to this post. at what point did I say anything about gay marriage. I laughed at mccain being called a conservative. you don't know my opinion on gay marriage, you are just making assumptions. america doesn't lean either way. it depends on the year. I don't know what you mean when you say "liberal" causes. is that caring about saving the whales? I have no idea what the hell you are talking about when you babble about yelling at black school children. my guess is that you have never even seen a black person.

you really say some strange stuff. losing battle of a civil rights battle? you got all this out of me saying that mccain wasn't conservative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Who's an ultra far left extremist?

Wake up and smell the politics, there, Spanky. America leans left and supports liberal causes. The teabaggers are extreme righties.

And get back to the point. Do you want to look like those angry white people who screamed hate at black schoolkids, or do you not? You're losing the gay marriage battle. It's nearly over. And 20 years from now people will wonder how we let a minority of hate-filled bigots keep gay marriage from happening earlier.

How do you feel about being on the losing end of a civil rights battle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 05:41 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I truly have no idea how to reply to this post. at what point did I say anything about gay marriage. I laughed at mccain being called a conservative. you don't know my opinion on gay marriage, you are just making assumptions. america doesn't lean either way. it depends on the year. I don't know what you mean when you say "liberal" causes. is that caring about saving the whales? I have no idea what the hell you are talking about when you babble about yelling at black school children. my guess is that you have never even seen a black person.

you really say some strange stuff. losing battle of a civil rights battle? you got all this out of me saying that mccain wasn't conservative?
I didn't get anything from you except that you responded to my posted question - not answering it, but just commenting (as you have several times before) on my location.

So I'm referring you back to my original question, and would like a response rather than another distraction.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:47 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,493 times
I have answered all your questions. with the exception of the whole yelling at black school children, because that really didn't make any sense. your posts are rather odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I didn't get anything from you except that you responded to my posted question - not answering it, but just commenting (as you have several times before) on my location.

So I'm referring you back to my original question, and would like a response rather than another distraction.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I have answered all your questions. with the exception of the whole yelling at black school children, because that really didn't make any sense. your posts are rather odd.
OK. One wingnut scared to respond, and just throwing insults. Figures.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 PM

238 posts, read 304,985 times
Gay marriage is not a civil rights issue. Marriage is NOT a right at all. It is a privilege.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:04 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,637 times
actually here in idaho, our HJR2 vote to ban gay marriage was 31 percent in favor of gay marriage.. Now I know that is not like california's 50/50.. but considering the mormon influence, and it being a red state.. it shows something.. people in idaho are red for different reasons than say oklahoma or alabama or texas.. idaho is ron paul red territory... live and let live.. government should not be saying no OR YES...thats what the constitution is for.. providing answers to basic questions like marriage rights
Oh, and add me to the "*******" list in idaho...
Gay marriage will happen... if it doesn't our consitution's integrity will be destroyed in the process...
so how do you want to eat your humble pie? now or later? for here or to go?

Old 04-18-2009, 05:17 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
actually here in idaho, our HJR2 vote to ban gay marriage was 31 percent in favor of gay marriage.. Now I know that is not like california's 50/50.. but considering the mormon influence, and it being a red state.. it shows something.. people in idaho are red for different reasons than say oklahoma or alabama or texas.. idaho is ron paul red territory... live and let live.. government should not be saying no OR YES...thats what the constitution is for.. providing answers to basic questions like marriage rights
Oh, and add me to the "*******" list in idaho...
Gay marriage will happen... if it doesn't our consitution's integrity will be destroyed in the process...
so how do you want to eat your humble pie? now or later? for here or to go?
If more than 2/3 of Idaho's citizens voted against gay marriage, it is right that it is not legal in the state.

Someone could argue that a simple majority should not be allowed to make decisions re: the rights of the minority. That may be true, but a 2/3 majority as long as the affected group also gets to vote, should be.

Anyone who wants to the U.S. Constitution to protect gay marriage needs to do one of two things:

1) have the SC interpret the Constitution differently so that the sexes may NEVER be treated differently (right now they can be, unlike races, if a state shows an extremely compelling interest), or

2) have equality based on sexual orientation added to the Constitution (right now, sexual orientation is not mentioned)

Old 04-18-2009, 05:22 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If more than 2/3 of Idaho's citizens voted against gay marriage, it is right that it is not legal in the state.

Someone could argue that a simple majority should not be allowed to make decisions re: the rights of the minority. That may be true, but a 2/3 majority as long as the affected group also gets to vote, should be.
it is illegal in idaho, BUT on what grounds? all it takes is a ruling in another state or national court making it a civil rights issue (because it is) then 2/3 doesn't matter... if 2/3 of your population want to be bigots that doesn't mean they get their wishes imposed on the law....
by the way, Iowa AND vermont have both ruled it on the basis of civil rights.. all we have to wait for is people to start suing other states with bans and pointing to other court rulings.. of course it will take appeals to higher courts... but we do honor common law in this country...
so... the storm of equality is indeed brewing...

Old 04-18-2009, 05:28 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
it is illegal in idaho, BUT on what grounds? all it takes is a ruling in another state or national court making it a civil rights issue (because it is) then 2/3 doesn't matter... if 2/3 of your population want to be bigots that doesn't mean they get their wishes imposed on the law....
by the way, Iowa AND vermont have both ruled it on the basis of civil rights.. all we have to wait for is people to start suing other states with bans and pointing to other court rulings.. of course it will take appeals to higher courts... but we do honor common law in this country...
so... the storm of equality is indeed brewing...
I'm against gay marriage and I'm not a bigot. I take offense to that statement. I'm not sure what our vote here in TX was...but I think it was somewhere around 65%-35% against...slightly less than 2/3.

My point is that its not a civil rights issue because marriage is not a right. The state can choose to recognize or not recognize any union it pleases as long as it is not unconstitutionally discriminatory. Sexual orientation is not protected in the Constitution, nor do the sexes have to be treated the same in ALL cases. The Constitution does not permit sexual "discrimination," but has been interpreted to allow states to recognize that a male is different from a female.

Until one of those two changes are made, the USSC will NOT intepret the US Constitution to require same-sex marriage or civil unions. It MAY, however, interpret it to require states to recognize same-sex marriages from OTHER states and strike down DOMA.

Laws criminalizing same-sex sodomy are different because that's private conduct that is none of the state's business (I am AGAINST those laws BTW and was glad to see ours in TX overturned). The state recognizing a contract and a law criminalizing conduct are two drastically different things.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-18-2009 at 05:36 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 06:58 AM

93 posts, read 140,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm against gay marriage and I'm not a bigot. I take offense to that statement. I'm not sure what our vote here in TX was...but I think it was somewhere around 65%-35% against...slightly less than 2/3.

My point is that its not a civil rights issue because marriage is not a right. The state can choose to recognize or not recognize any union it pleases as long as it is not unconstitutionally discriminatory. Sexual orientation is not protected in the Constitution, nor do the sexes have to be treated the same in ALL cases. The Constitution does not permit sexual "discrimination," but has been interpreted to allow states to recognize that a male is different from a female.

Until one of those two changes are made, the USSC will NOT intepret the US Constitution to require same-sex marriage or civil unions. It MAY, however, interpret it to require states to recognize same-sex marriages from OTHER states and strike down DOMA.

Laws criminalizing same-sex sodomy are different because that's private conduct that is none of the state's business (I am AGAINST those laws BTW and was glad to see ours in TX overturned). The state recognizing a contract and a law criminalizing conduct are two drastically different things.

Quote:
I'm against gay marriage and I'm not a bigot.

What an oxymoron "i'm against gay marriage and i'm not a bigot".

60 years ago you would it had voted to keep the school sagregated too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies