Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 09:16 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I concede that my use of "humane" is relative. To me, the world has the gloves off and we're the only people playing by any kind of rules. Let me ask you this: would any level of discomfort or pain be acceptable?
To some people, we are supposed to treat members of a foreign terrorist organization, whose goals are to murder as many innocent civilians as he can, the same as a grandmother in Toledo, caught shoplifting at K-Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
He'll get no sympathy from me. They should have done it once for every person he murdered.

September 11 News.com - Khalid Shaikh Mohammed - 9/11 Al-Qaeda Mastermind Captured in Pakistan.
A person responsible for the deaths of thousands of people would get the death penalty, but waterboarding simply crossed the line.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
So? We are not supposed to torture. Period.

United Nations Convention Against Torture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We signed that.
We did sign it. And according to the Bush administration we honored the letter of the agreement, if not the spirit, by conducting our waterboarding interrogations in territories not under American control, per se.

And when Clinton "lied" to the grand jury, he didn't actually lie per the definition of "sexual acts" provided to him by the prosecutors. He also honored the letter of the law, not the spirit.

You cannot be outraged by Clinton's act, self-serving as it was, but not outraged by Bush's act. Both are attempts to side-step the law. One by a man unable to control his sexual urges, but personal and isolated in nature. The other by an administration that was unable to control aggression urges, but involved an entire nation as complicit in the acts.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
To some people, we are supposed to treat members of a foreign terrorist organization, whose goals are to murder as many innocent civilians as he can, the same as a grandmother in Toledo, caught shoplifting at K-Mart.
Oh, come on. You can surely muster a better argument than that.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
A person responsible for the deaths of thousands of people would get the death penalty, but waterboarding simply crossed the line.
Waterboarding dragged an entire nation over that line. You know the one, human decency, moral high road, integrity. Silly line.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Waterboarding dragged an entire nation over that line. You know the one, human decency, moral high road, integrity. Silly line.
If (and that's a big IF) we were dragged across any "line" it's much better to be drug across that "line" alive than dead don't you think? I love how people *** about moral high roads etc when talking about this but yet it's okay for all sorts of other "immoral" conduct.
Selective morality really cracks me up!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
The problem with this logic is the "extreme cases where many lives are at stake". Are you fishing for information (183 times in one month-that's avid fishing)? In which case, how do you verify that information? With independent sources? If you had alternative sources of information, why did you have to torture someone to get them to share that information?
If 0bama releases the memo detailing the successful results of waterboarding, or other lesser techniques, then we will learn to what degree those techniques were useful or justified

Quote:
These torture/information scenarios seem to be like jigsaw puzzles. Either we're just trying to acquire random pieces, or we're trying to acquire pieces that will help us complete the puzzle. And either way, it doesn't seem like torture is a quick way to acquire the pieces, so there goes the urgent argument. It also seems clear the the terrorist being interrogated isn't the ONLY source of information. Why torture someone, when you can get the information elsewhere?
I don't know the answer, maybe the other sources were only able to provide pieces of the puzzle, and the waterboarded terrorists had all the answers, and they believed an attack will occur in a few days or weeks?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If (and that's a big IF) we were dragged across any "line" it's much better to be drug across that "line" alive than dead don't you think? I love how people *** about moral high roads etc when talking about this but yet it's okay for all sorts of other "immoral" conduct.
Selective morality really cracks me up!!!!

Like when you argue that it's okay to torture people in certain circumstances.

That's selective morality!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
If 0bama releases the memo detailing the successful results of waterboarding, or other lesser techniques, then we will learn to what degree those techniques were useful or justified

I don't know the answer, maybe the other sources were only able to provide pieces of the puzzle, and the waterboarded terrorists had all the answers, and they believed an attack will occur in a few days or weeks?
If it's an imminent attack, then 183 waterboardings over a month doesn't give you pause?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Also, I take it back. An entire nation wasn't dragged. Some people evidently happily charged over that line. Whoo-hoo! Gonna kick us some terrorist 'ss! Some of us are still kicking and screaming. Because we realized along the way that life isn't just a series of choices where you go along leaving the choices behind you. You live with the choices you make. You choose to torture someone, you become a torturer. You endorse torture on your behalf, you become a torturer. You approve torture, you are a torturer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies