Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:35 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,575,081 times

Advertisements

I remember when kids actually played outside instead of in front of the tv.

I remember when there were actual fields, ponds, farms, apple orchards & forests instead of development.

I remember when "reality tv" was actually a documentary. I'm not complaining, I'm a sucker for reality tv now

I remember tapes & 8-tracks...god the sound quality was horrific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 04:10 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,648,366 times
I remember the static sound of actual records.

I remember my mother leaving us alone at the beach to get her ciggarettes.

I remember playing 4 square at the bus stop. When the bus came, we left the ball there and it was always there when we got home.

I remember getting 3 or 4 presents at Christmas and being happy with what I got!

I remember being a teenager and WANTING to get a job!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:36 PM

749 posts, read 947,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I remember when gas was 35 cents.

I remember when you could leave your doors unlocked.

I remember when kids could play in the street.

I remember when washing machines were on the front porch.

I remember when family came over every Sunday after church.

I remember snapping green beans in the shade of our old pecan tree.

I remember eating green apples with a jar of salt and my mom telling me I'd get a stomach ache.

I remember when Summer lasted forever...

Oh your bringing back memories.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Really? 35 cents??? I call BS on that!!! LOL
I remember cigs were 50 cents.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:53 PM

I remember crank telephones.
I remember when a party line was the telephone.
I remember when all you had was radio.
I remember 5 cent cokes.
I remember when I could remember.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:35 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,116,262 times
I remember when you had to listen to the number of times your phone would ring so you would know if it was for you or someone else on the party line.

I remember when you picked up the phone receiver and the operator would say "Number please" and she would connect you to whoever you were calling.

I remember being sad when they took away the icebox and brought in the new refrigerator because there would be no more deliveries from the iceman.

I remember rushing home from school on Thursdays so I could listen to Sgt. Preston of the Yukon on the radio.

I remember when it cost 35 cents to go to a movie and for that you got a news reel, a cartoon, and two movies.

I remember when a family only went out to eat once or twice a year and it was a very big deal.

I remember having to do my chore of feeding the chickens before I went to kindergarten and having to gather the eggs when I got home.

I remember seeing my parents read their Bible and pray for us every day and kneeling by my bed every night to pray too.

I remember summer when us kids did our chores and then were free to roam until it was time to come home by dark.

I remember the teachers instructing us to crouch under our desk during civil defense drills so that if a bomb was dropped on us the desk would protect us??????????

I remember being so proud to fill up my March of Dimes card and take it back to school. I worked hard for those dimes.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i remember when a 20 megabyte hard drive seemed plenty big enough
Do you mean mean 20 gig drives, not megabyte drives, I dont ever remember 20 megabytes, I think they started selling computers with 10 gig drives..

Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,326,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I remember when billions used to be a lot of money.

I remember when people who worked hard got rewarded.

I remember when it was considered outrageous to suggest the government invest in private companies.

I remember when people voted for the best individual for america, not for their own pocketbook.
I remember when Americans hung fellow Americans.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,116,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
I remember when Americans hung fellow Americans.

Yes, I remember that too....and Emmet Till will live in my mind as long as I live. But I also remember thousands of us marching and protesting and voting and doing everything we could think of to make such nightmares end.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,601,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Do you mean mean 20 gig drives, not megabyte drives, I dont ever remember 20 megabytes, I think they started selling computers with 10 gig drives..
nope, i meant 20 MB.. (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2339784,00.asp - broken link)

oddly enough, i just bought a 1 TB western digital external today at staples for 99 bucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies