Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you belong to any minority group that has faced widespread discrimination?
Yes 90 89.11%
No 11 10.89%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:28 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Most of the places that I've ever worked at had mostly minority employees. Also, most of the supervisors and managers I've worked under were minority as well. I think we came a long way as a nation. There's still some work to be done but racial-based preferences are not a way to go. Discrimination is wrong whether you are black, latino, asian, native American or white. Two wrongs do not make a right.

By the way, if a black person gets chosen over a white person strictly due to affirmative action ... What did the white person do to deserve being discriminated against?
Absolutely nothing, just as the black person did nothing to deserve having been born into a group that has suffered and in many ways continues to suffer from a system built upon a pro-white metastructure. Unfortunately both were born in to a system neither desired nor created by them, but a system they will have to live with nonetheless.

Sure two "wrongs" don't make a right, but we have learned already (from a multitude of examples) that given the freedom to choose equally among qualified candidates, many corporate entities simply cannot be trusted not to engage in bias against minorities, as many feel that preserving the white status-quo is preferable to venturing into the "uncharted" waters of diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 05:09 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
Yes! A white person which are now minorities, where I live in Northern VA, and viewed as almost nothing by society and the media. You have to be a multicultural multi ethnic person in their 20s and 30s or you are nothing in today's society.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:27 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
On this forum..being called a racist for not liking Obama and his politics!
Being called a woman hater because I dislike Pelosi's politics and beliefs!

In Europe for being Jewish and muslims hate Jews...and when I was young I had to listen to very nasty Jewsih jokes while living in a City of 100.000 people and only 2 jewish families...and the other one was othodox and my family was not doing much about religion...but still it hurts as a child and every child sometimes has differences of opinion with another kid...but the first thing you hear is "f... Jew"....I never called any of the Christians a word like that, but it seems that it is easy for the others to do so against Jewish people.
Also when at work many times people would ask "where are you from, where were you born?"...just customers, strangers and when I answered the truth...(the name of the City in that country), the people kept asking and after a while they would say...but you were originally born in Israel, aren't you? NO....I wasn't born there they just were fishing to hear me say I was Jewish! Over here nobody will ask you maybe because they might get sued and in Europe they can't get sued, but over here it feels so much better not to be addressed like that!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallR48 View Post
Who cares? If Black people dislike it so much they can live in peace & prosperity in the motherland...

Oh wait... every Black majority country is a disaster. They can complain all they want but they have it thousands of times better than living in their own kind. They are literally the only race that has shown themselves incapable of creating any sort of livable civilization.

I never take them seriously because after working with them and the laziness and juvenile behavior they show on a daily basis, it is very difficult to.
Take your horse dung back to Stormfront. Thank you kindly.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
I think this poll is flawed! It should be "what victim class do you belong to?" Then list everything from color to having a hammer toe.
God knows shoe makers discriminate on people with toe issues!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
For example:

Sexual orientation
Skin color
Disability
Minority religion/beliefs
Ethnicity
Others?

I know some of you will want to say you've faced discrimination as Christians, but please, don't. That isn't a minority group.

Other groups that aren't minorities: Men, women, liberals, conservatives, whites, middle-class, etc.
Christians are facing a whole lot of discrimination.

But mine can also include Constitutionalists.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:10 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Christians are facing a whole lot of discrimination.

But mine can also include Constitutionalists.

If christians are indeed suffering a "whole lot of discrimination", it is b/c they bring it on themselves by foisting their beliefs on everybody else incl the gov't. If christians would leave everyone else alone, they wouldn't have these unfounded beliefs of paranoia.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:19 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
I think that some folks forget what it was like back in the day. In HS I applied for a job as a bagger at a grocery store and was told that only men could be baggers, but I could be a checker. Guess which paid the most? Nowadays they have 80 YO women bagging!

Another time, I wrote the FBI about working as an agent and received a very nice letter back saying that they did not use women as agents, but that there were a number of secretarial postitons available. I wish I had kept that letter for laughs.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:28 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Sure two "wrongs" don't make a right, but we have learned already (from a multitude of examples) that given the freedom to choose equally among qualified candidates, many corporate entities simply cannot be trusted not to engage in bias against minorities, as many feel that preserving the white status-quo is preferable to venturing into the "uncharted" waters of diversity.
This is beyond doubt, and I think we'd all agree. Without some kind of "push", today many minorities would have never been able to 'get on board' in the first place. A good example of this "bittersweet' truth happened to my own wife. She was hurt and humiliated when, after four months on the job and doing well, a supervisor admitted to her that they'd "had" to hire her, because of diversity requirements. On the other hand, she knew full well that in the past, she would NEVER have been hired under ANY circumstances.

It IS two "wrongs", yes....does it make a "right"? Hard to answer that in one sentence.

Maybe, someday. For now, it's often still just a different form of discrimination....for a greater good down the road.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:31 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
So the act of sharing the gospel with you is an example of someone dispising you? When I share the gospel with an unbeliever, it is because I CARE about that person and the condition of their soul not because I despise them. Of course, if the unbeliever does not wish to hear my message, then I'll respect that person's free will and stop sharing.
*confusion* as I look around...where did I say these people despise me? The subject comes up, I state my beliefs & then that's the reaction I get, simple as that. I know some of you who believe in god get annoyed when us non-believers state our beliefs & why we believe that way, it goes both ways. Yes, I DO get annoyed when I say I'm an atheist & then the person continues w/their pity party against me. Excuse me, I'm standing right in front of you, BIIIIIIG difference then being on a forum board where it's totally anonymous. These people are just lucky that I didn't go off & REALLY tell them how I feel about their looks of pity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies