Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How have gay-related controversies (Perez Hilton, same-sex marriage) changed your opinions about gay
They've given me a less favorable opinion of gays overall. 29 34.94%
They've given me a more favorable opinion of gays overall. 8 9.64%
The controversies haven't changed my opinions about gays, for better or for worse. 46 55.42%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,454,873 times

Advertisements

What I think is funny is these pageants getting these women to answer questions that are supposed to make them look like they are MORE then just a pretty face. Like that really matters, thats not what these pageants are about.

Then of course you have the fact that a list of posible questions are handed out prior to this part of the pageant so WE can all think these girls are really thinkers.

What a joke.

They are there to show off their physical beauty, either what they were born with or what they have been able to purchase. Thats all this is.

Why all the BS about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,500,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Individuals do not affect my opinion of a whole...

I don't normally go after anyone personally...so in a general kinda way:

I think Perez Hilton is a bit of a twit and that the question was inappropriate. Even more so the comments I have heard mentioned after the fact...not going to bother seeking that out for perusal.
'Freaking beauty pageant, which in this age I find appalling anyway. Either we judge the body or the mind but please don't pretend that we are balancing both equally - or anything more than superficially. Stupid is as stupid does.

Blah.

I think the contestant in question is also a twit and could have answered more articulately, if she could have answered more articulately. (You know what I mean, right? )
I'm FOR Gay marriage and still think that my answer...cough...would have been that such a venue is inappropriate to be used as a political platform. And by the way, does my ass look fat in this dress?

Like these women really represent anything?

Blah.
I too think that both of them are twits, Hilton does not represent me or my opinions and I do not think that Ms. California represents all christians or all straight people.

The beauty pageant is the end result of a male chauvinistic society. Beauty is only skin deep, but stupid is as stupid does.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
There are socially inept people who are gay, straight, black, white, men, women, from all countries and cultures.
Sometimes, I'm one of them.
Big deal.
You can't judge everyone of a group based on less than everyone in that group.
I feel no need to judge others by these goofballs.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:20 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,705,506 times
They do not change my opinion. I do not let a few idiots spoil the entire bunch. I know most gay people have good intentions, its unfortunate that there are a few who try and make all gays look like self-centered intolerant bullies.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:55 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,693,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
its unfortunate that there are a few who try and make all gays look like self-centered intolerant bullies.
Oh, they're not trying to do that, I'm sure. Each individual is capable of making a judgment and forming an opinion on his own. I think smart people know how to separate the actions of Perez Hilton and not castigate an entire group based on his actions.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,923 times
I can't believe 28 people say that Perez Hilton has negatively impacted their views of gays. That is like me as a gay guy saying that Paris Hilton has negatively impacted my view of hetero's. After all, there is no video of Perez giving another guy a bj is there?

Old 05-04-2009, 05:14 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,693,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I can't believe 28 people say that Perez Hilton has negatively impacted their views of gays. That is like me as a gay guy saying that Paris Hilton has negatively impacted my view of hetero's. After all, there is no video of Perez giving another guy a bj is there?
On one hand, this is part of being a minority. On the other hand, minorities come up with ignorant ideas about the majority too. We've all heard of blacks who are anti-white, and there are certainly some gays who are anti-straight.

It's just ignorance, no matter which group it's coming from. You have to keep in mind that we can't control the world, and that there will always been loonies and jackasses who will believe whatever they want to believe, no matter how much the facts prove them wrong.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:17 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,294,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh, they're not trying to do that, I'm sure. Each individual is capable of making a judgment and forming an opinion on his own. I think smart people know how to separate the actions of Perez Hilton and not castigate an entire group based on his actions.

I think thats an important point. If it's how you truly feel than one moron saying something should not change your beliefs. There are alot of good, decent and intelligent gay people out there so Perez Hilton would probably be the LAST person to speak ontheir behalf.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:18 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
On one hand, this is part of being a minority. On the other hand, minorities come up with ignorant ideas about the majority too. We've all heard of blacks who are anti-white, and there are certainly some gays who are anti-straight.

It's just ignorance, no matter which group it's coming from. You have to keep in mind that we can't control the world, and that there will always been loonies and jackasses who will believe whatever they want to believe, no matter how much the facts prove them wrong.
I know, i just had to point out how ILLOGICAL it is and the double standard. To me, it just makes them seem so out of touch with reality, and thus easier to ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies