Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How have gay-related controversies (Perez Hilton, same-sex marriage) changed your opinions about gay
They've given me a less favorable opinion of gays overall. 29 34.94%
They've given me a more favorable opinion of gays overall. 8 9.64%
The controversies haven't changed my opinions about gays, for better or for worse. 46 55.42%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,003,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sadly, no. He was just too inexperienced, I just didn't have the time, energy or enthusiasm to teach him.
That's when they're the best - you get to teach them what works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:34 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,958,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That's when they're the best - you get to teach them what works.
LOL yeah thats fun in its own right. Well I guess some of us have more patience than others

Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,211,743 times
My opinion on gays hasn't changed. If anything, I understand their plight more because I realize more than ever how emotional some religious people can become over a marriage that is issued by the government, not the church.

I've experienced hate towards me from religious people due to my irreligion, so I'm not surprised at all that some in the gay community have retaliated against the militant religious community. There's just a point where it all becomes too much to bear for some people, basically.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:55 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,924,988 times
I think it was rude and uncalled for.. to have perez hilton calling ms california a stupid b*tch on his blog.. it should be grounds for him ever being a judge again.. or taken seriously for anything like this again.. because he's being just as offensive as the bimbo and how she answered the question...
Lets not kid ourselves.. Ms. America is not about going up on stage and just "being you"
Perez was right in voting the way he did.. because she DID answer the question in a divisive politically incorrect way. She certainly has the right to believe what she believes.. but if you're in a competition to represent the most liberal state in the union.. you can't be tossing 48 percent of the population to the side with a divisive answer like that...
She could have said, "people have the right to love and be with who they love.. I am not gay.. so for myself I would only be involved in marriage between a man and a woman.. what other people want to call love and how they want to define it is their business.. and what I think about it shouldn't matter"
Put me in some heels and let me have a go.. lol
while I"m 100 percent for gay marriage.. if I was all done up and in front of those lights.. I certainly would have taken the high road and middle ground on the issue... because you never know.. there could have been a judge that felt i should be more in line with the "family values" bullsheet.... she needed to know how to play her cards... if you want the crown.. you don't say stupid sh*t like that...

I don't understand these people saying "she has a right to her opinion and shouldn't be punished.. rah rah rah"
well consider.. if she had been asked about interacial marriage.. and she answered.. "I believe that proper marriage is between a man and a woman of similar races"
she certainly is welcomed to that opinion.. but if she said it up on stage in answering that question...there are consequences for that answer.. it won't put you in jail.. but it will send you home without a crown... sorry hunnies....
You don't get to have your cake and eat it too on everything.... pick and choose your battles wisely...and brush up on some Public relations 101... and try again next year

Old 05-02-2009, 06:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,705,849 times
I keep reading comments on the internet that say things like "Perez Hilton is setting back the gay rights movement" or "Perez Hilton is turning people against gays".

Really? Are people still that unfamiliar with gays that they judge all of them based on the antics of one flamboyant celebrity?

This seems highly unfair, but I'm also willing to accept that it may just be the way things are.

I think it's all due to ignorance, and I don't mean that in a mean-spirited way. There was a time when a celebrity named Charo represented all Latinos to a lot of Americans, and when most whites thought that the characters on "Amos and Andy" represented all blacks. I guess it all takes time, and there will always be some who can't see anything past the stereotypes.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceharvester View Post
Gays are gross! I'm a bigot and proud.
lol... riceharvester strikes again.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:44 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,088,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
The intolerance of others being expressed by people who claim to be seeking tolerance for themselves has lowered my sympathy/support for "gay rights".
You're not the only one.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
You're not the only one.
Very low-minded of you, annika. Either you believe in equality or you don't. You clearly don't.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:22 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,465,871 times
There are idiots who happen to be gay and who happen to be straight. Perez Hilton is not my favorite person in the world, nor is he someone I pay attention to. Why would I let one person FRAME my beliefs or impressions in a topic?
Seems pretty childish and simplistic.

I believe in equality, even for idiots.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:41 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,713,007 times
Individuals do not affect my opinion of a whole...

I don't normally go after anyone personally...so in a general kinda way:

I think Perez Hilton is a bit of a twit and that the question was inappropriate. Even more so the comments I have heard mentioned after the fact...not going to bother seeking that out for perusal.
'Freaking beauty pageant, which in this age I find appalling anyway. Either we judge the body or the mind but please don't pretend that we are balancing both equally - or anything more than superficially. Stupid is as stupid does.

Blah.

I think the contestant in question is also a twit and could have answered more articulately, if she could have answered more articulately. (You know what I mean, right? ;))
I'm FOR Gay marriage and still think that my answer...cough...would have been that such a venue is inappropriate to be used as a political platform. And by the way, does my ass look fat in this dress?

Like these women really represent anything?

Blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies