Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 03:08 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
MSNBC is reporting that they just confirmed with his staff that Senator Arlen Specter will be switching parties from Republican to Democrat.

This, along with Al Franken, will give Democrats a filibuster-proof 60 votes!
How does this cretin switching do anything? Lol, he ALWAYS voted with the Dems anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:09 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Lieberman switched in the middle of his reelection campaign to use it for political advantage.

I don't think this is quite the same.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:09 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
One big difference is Liebermann may be friends with the GOP but he did not actually switch over to them. It's like the difference between flirting with a woman other than your wife... and actually filing for a divorce and making a public annoucement that you want to be with the other woman.

Making an announcement that you're officially switching parties is huge. Huge! Especially when the switch is the full jump from GOP to Dems. By that I mean Specter didn't say he wanted to be an Independent candidate, he took the full leap to the Dems. That's a big slap in the GOP's face--and the timing for this announcement is a slap in the face, too. A gift for Obama's 100 days, IMO.

I'm actually not that big of a fan of people who switch parties, but I find them interesting. They are signposts of serious probems for the GOP.
I disagree. This is purely political maneuvering to ensure that he has a chance at staying in office in the face of a formidable opponent in the upcoming primary's. Simply put, this was more about Specter being behind in the polls against Toomey instead of a RAH RAH RAH for Democrats. Sorry to rain on your parade, but same shat, different day in the life of a double-talking scumbag politician.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:10 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
The Republican Party has to redefine themselves and go back to their roots. They are not going to survive just being the party of God, Guns, and Gays in the 21st Century.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:13 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The Republican Party has to redefine themselves and go back to their roots. They are not going to survive just being the party of God, Guns, and Gays in the 21st Century.
Gays? I think you can exclude that from the GOP agenda lol. Homosexuals and liberals thrive off of each other. I have no use for either one, at least not from a policy/agenda standpoint.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
How does this cretin switching do anything? Lol, he ALWAYS voted with the Dems anyway
Spector was give

81% by the Christian Coalition
75% by the Cato Institute
32% by the NAACP
36% by the NEA
00# by the Committee on a Sane Nuclear Policy (anti war group)

Sounds pretty left wing to me

Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
MSNBC is reporting that they just confirmed with his staff that Senator Arlen Specter will be switching parties from Republican to Democrat.

This, along with Al Franken, will give Democrats a filibuster-proof 60 votes!

Specter was a Republican in Name Only (RINO), so it is really just a matter of semantics. I wouldn't get to hyped up over it if I were a liberal.

He voted mostly liberal anyhow, so there is no change.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:18 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,320,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Actually he voted Republican 60% of the time and you kicked him out for it. I would expect the DNC will make him vote at least 60% of the time with the Dems if he wants election funds so it does mean you're losing a key vote on a lot of issues.

Is it the end of the world? No, but make no mistakes this hurts the GOP because now they're down to just 38 Senate seats (remember there are 2 independents both who normally vote with the Dems) so they can't even filibuster any more without help from Dem defectors.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:21 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I disagree. This is purely political maneuvering to ensure that he has a chance at staying in office in the face of a formidable opponent in the upcoming primary's.
Ummmm, yoo hoo--that has nothing to do with my point, which was Specter is different from Liebermann. You're not raining on my parade when you sneer at Specter, as I said before I'm not a big fan of politicians who switch parties. But, whether I'm a fan of him or not, I have no problem with enjoying the advantages of having him make this announcement.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:21 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,320,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
He voted mostly liberal anyhow, so there is no change.
Specter only voted with the Dems 40% of the time so that makes him "mostly liberal"? Wow, that's a strange definition you're using. I always thought a term like "mostly" meant the majority of the time and 60% of the time Specter voted for Republicans.

The reality is you can't get a diehard wingnut elected in Pennsylvania these days; certainly not in a state wide office like Senator. Driving out the moderates who voted with the GOP most of the time will only result in even fewer GOP votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies