Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:50 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't think he meant it was a bad thing, only that the writing has been on the wall for all to see.
True... but official announcements still make quite an impact, don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Of course, the GOP is now about to put their Governor of Utah on the enemy's list for daring to say that gays should have civil unions, which is in another thread to be found here. They never learn.
It's an interesting strategy. Instead of trying to be more inclusive, I guess they hope to attract more people to the party by excluding people.

It will be interesting to watch how well this works for them in the 2010 elections. I have a feeling it won't work too well.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:41 PM

I liked Olympia Snowe's comment that being a moderate in the GOP is like being on Survivor:

"Being a Republican moderate sometimes feels like being a cast member of "Survivor" — you are presented with multiple challenges, and you often get the distinct feeling that you're no longer welcome in the tribe."

CNN Political Ticker

BTW, she didn't just say this in passing. This quote is from an op-ed written by Snowe wrote for the New York Times. It's a strong statement. She definitely sounds frustrated and maybe even near the breaking point, IMO.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:56 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I liked Olympia Snowe's comment that being a moderate in the GOP is like being on Survivor:

"Being a Republican moderate sometimes feels like being a cast member of "Survivor" — you are presented with multiple challenges, and you often get the distinct feeling that you're no longer welcome in the tribe."

CNN Political Ticker

BTW, she didn't just say this in passing. This quote is from an op-ed written by Snowe wrote for the New York Times. It's a strong statement. She definitely sounds frustrated and maybe even near the breaking point, IMO.
A political party that strives to be exclusive rather than inclusive....

Old 04-29-2009, 02:04 PM

654 posts, read 466,373 times
This is a scumbag move and he only did it in order to get re-elected and not out of principle.

A politician following the money, that's a shocker.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:10 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:

CNN Political Ticker

I also have a hunch she's ready to throw in the towel. All it may take is for the RNC chairman, or some buffoon like Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter, to say something nasty, at which time she'll take her handbag and walk out the door.

My money has always been on the two female senators from Maine to switch, since the GOP passed them over for the VP spot on McCain's ticket in favor of an anti-abortion fundie like Sarah Palin. That worked out well for the GOP, didn't it, it was only a CRUSHING electoral defeat. If the GOP had put Snowe or Collins of ME on the ticket, JM may very well have won the election. Then again, I've a hunch that neither of them wanted to have anything to do with JM or the Rovian thugs running his campaign. I sure wish we knew the whole truth on this, I'm sure its fascinating. I'm also sure Ms. Snowe is being courted by the DEMs as we speak.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:45 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
Quote:
And this is somehow bad.....?
Where do you get "bad" from?

I was simply pointing out that the announcement was pointless, everyone already knew. It wasn't like it was news, well except it gives all the pundits and news junkies something to blabber about until tomorrow...

Old 04-29-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I also have a hunch she's ready to throw in the towel. All it may take is for the RNC chairman, or some buffoon like Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter, to say something nasty, at which time she'll take her handbag and walk out the door.
That would be interesting. If they could get a second well-known, well-respected, and senior republican to jump ship, that would create quite the Snowe-ball effect.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Oh c'mon Rush, you can do it! Please oh please oh PLEASE say something nasty about Olympia Snowe. Give in to the temptation, you know you want to.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:00 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Oh c'mon Rush, you can do it! Please oh please oh PLEASE say something nasty about Olympia Snowe. Give in to the temptation, you know you want to.
Who cares. Send her packing too. All 47 people in Maine may not even notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies