Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:05 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Who cares. Send her packing too. All 47 people in Maine may not even notice.
Here's hoping more people in the GOP feel that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 04:00 PM

I wonder what Arlen Specter's day was like today? Did he feel relieved to finally have a big decision behind him? Or did he think "Oh Lord, what have I done?"

A lot of people are upset about this, I wonder if he got a bunch of threats?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,460,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
This is a scumbag move and he only did it in order to get re-elected and not out of principle.

A politician following the money, that's a shocker.
Yes, and that it's a Republican doing that kind of thing.... who would have thought?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yes, and that it's a Republican doing that kind of thing.... who would have thought?
Hahahaha, and a LOL to boot.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:07 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Specter announcing he is a Democrat was as surprising as Clay Aiken announcing he was gay....
Maybe but the GOP can't afford to lose more people & continue to decline. Seems that "smart" people would try to build the party nor eat their own but the GOP isn't smart to their own determent

Old 04-29-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Maybe but the GOP can't afford to lose more people & continue to decline. Seems that "smart" people would try to build the party nor eat their own but the GOP isn't smart to their own determent
Maybe they're planning to build the party through the "mystique of exclusion." Hey, it worked for discos in the 1970s. Before they went out of business, that is.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:00 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Maybe they're planning to build the party through the "mystique of exclusion." Hey, it worked for discos in the 1970s. Before they went out of business, that is.
What's sad is that people like Pat Buchanan [on Chris Matthew's show today] supports the purging in the GOP. He thinks that President Obama will fail bigtime & Republicans, like hyenas, are waiting for Americans to go back to the Party of Bush

Old 04-29-2009, 06:00 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I wonder what Arlen Specter's day was like today? Did he feel relieved to finally have a big decision behind him? Or did he think "Oh Lord, what have I done?"

A lot of people are upset about this, I wonder if he got a bunch of threats?
He and Barney can now exchange stories about how it feels to come out of the closet.

Pennsylvania's "Sore Loser Law" forced his hand. Had he lost in the Republican primary, he would have been prevented from pursuing the same office on another party ticket, so he switched while he could. I'd be pissed if I was a Pennsylvania Republican who voted for Specter.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:12 PM

Stephen Colbert claims Arlen Specter is just the most recent victim to succumb to the flu. Donkey Flu, that is. It's sweeping across America!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:54 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
What's sad is that people like Pat Buchanan [on Chris Matthew's show today] supports the purging in the GOP. He thinks that President Obama will fail bigtime & Republicans, like hyenas, are waiting for Americans to go back to the Party of Bush
Regarding the purging of the GOP, Arlen Specter had some insights that are significant; they point to what I've felt for a while; there's a DELIBERATE effort to push moderate GOP office holders out of office and out of the GOP so the wingnuts can complete their total takeover of the GOP. Specter's comments about the "Club For Growth" (CFG) make it a lot clearer to me that my hunch is at least partly on the mark; that the GOP is deliberately aiming to be the white racist wingnut party. Here are his comments:

Republicans didn't rally to Wayne Gilchrist in MD. He was beaten by the CFG on the far right. They lost the general election.

Republicans didn't rally to the banner of Joe Schwarz in MI; he was beaten by a conservative. They lost the general election.

Republicans didn't rally to Heather Wilson in NM last year. She was beaten in the primary. They lost the general election.

The CFG challenged Lincoln Chafee, made him spend all his money in the primary. He lost the general. If Chafee were elected in 2006, the GOP would have controlled the Senate in 2007-08, and I would have been chairman of the committee.

President Bush nominated 13 circuit judges. They were all left on the table for President Obama.

President Bush nominated 21 district court judges and they were all left on the table for President Obama.

Now take the social conservatives in America and how they prize circuit judges. Remember what we went through for Judge Southwith last year to get the circuit judge confirmed? And one of my opponents' principal advisors said, "We don't care about stage two, stage one, we want to be in Arlen Specter, we'll worry about stage two later." They don't make any bones about their willingness to lose the general election, if they can purify the party. I don't understand it, but that's what they say.

For the people who are Republicans, to sit by and allow the CFG to continue to dominate the party, after they beat Chafee, cost us GOP control of the senate and cost us 34 federal judges, there ought to be a rebellion, there ought to be an uprising.

Specter's blunt words about the CFG line up with Buchanan's thoughts about purging the party. A party of 25% of the people is DOA on election day if all they stand for are the topics of God, Guns and (anti) Gays.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies